XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Trunk space

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Trunk space

I currently drive an 04 x350 for a mobile work vehicle. I run a roof rack on it, and between the rack and the trunk, everything fits fine. But I may expand a little with what I do carry, and may need a bit more space. We are currently looking to possibly expand our stable (or kennel?) from one Jaguar to two.

So the question is this...does the x350 have one of the larger trunks out there as far as Jags go? Are the trunks of the "classic" Jags much larger? How about the newer ones? I'd like to stick with the full size XJ, as I like the style and assume the trunks are the largest in the line up. I considered the XK but getting a rack on top might be a little silly.

If the x350 has one of the largest trunks, I may just keep it as a work vehicle and shop for another Jag for my wife. If there are larger trunks, say in a classic, I'll use the classic as a work vehicle, but I'll have to find one with a motor/trans swap as it's for business and can't be breaking down (which is a reason a classic may not be a good choice).

Yes, I could purchase something else (van, truck,etc), but we've been so thrilled with the Jag and love everything about it that it's hard to justify buying anything else. Plus, it goes with the theme of the business.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The trunk on the X350 was the largest of the XJ series of cars, but the current model may have a larger one. Main problem is you can't drop the rear seats, although some have a ski hatch. As for the other saloons, I don't think the S-type measures up to the XJ, and as for the coupes, forget it !

The new F-Pace probably has the most space available provided the seats are dropped due to its van-like shape. I suspect, though, you want a much cheaper car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
chillyphilly (10-24-2016), Sean W (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Fraser. You are correct, for a work rig, I don't want to get in too deep. SUV's aren't really my thing. Good to know my trunk is largest, excluding the newer model. The x351's style just doesn't appeal to me that much either.

On a side note, I didn't think the x100's trunks were much smaller, but then again, it has been a while since I've seen one in person.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I think you'd be wise to not look at an X100, as they can be a bit of trouble, as there are numerous possible issues that can be expensive to put right. Having said that, the later ones from about 2000-2001 onwards can be quite good provided they have been looked after properly, but the the X150 from 2005 is far better, but you'll have to pay quite a bit for one. The X100 can suffer from serious rusting in the floor area, but the X150 is aluminium, same as your X350, but without the air suspension, (a major plus for most folk !!)