XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Turning off adaptive cruise info pls

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turning off adaptive cruise info pls

Searched the forums and learned a lot about this topic but still a little confused. I am looking at a 05 XJR and was told the radar module (at bumper) needs replacing. From the forum, I understand it can be turned off until I find a replacement. Not a cruise control fan so it is really a non-issue but I don't want the warning on the dash.

My local jag mechanic said he can't do it. Is this something a dealership has to do? How much would be a fair price to pay to have this done? I will be picking the car up in L.A. and driving to Oklahoma so can stop anywhere on the route to have it done.

Thanks for advice in advance!

Old 03-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Received 318 Likes on 243 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagram - its in the CAN network, it communicates with ECM, Instrument Pack, ABS/Dynamic Stability, and Trans module. Trying to disconnect it may disrupt system and display warning on dash.

There are 2 fuses, but 1 supplies power to multiple items on the car. You can try taking out fuse 27 in the passenger compartment fuse to see if this will disable it.

Otherwise, you can still turn it off by using the switch on the dash.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM

"You can disable the ACC using the SDD/Mongoose

Set it to ACC "Not Fitted". This will bypass the ACC module
Scans will still find it tough so you may need to take the plug out of the module and radar

This will take you back to STD cruise control"

I take it as you need the SDD/mongoose and account at TOPIx for the software to turn it off. Then the ECM takes over as standard cruise control.

Guess I am looking for someone who can do this and a cost associated.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

No offence but it's not worth the effort just to make that warning go away. Buy the part, replace it, done. Why jump so through so many hoops for something so temporary?

Not to mention you're doing this based on what someone said, not data like advanced trouble codes.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 06-XJR
No offence but it's not worth the effort just to make that warning go away. Buy the part, replace it, done. Why jump so through so many hoops for something so temporary?

Not to mention you're doing this based on what someone said, not data like advanced trouble codes.
No Offense taken. The cheapest I have found a replacement is $2750.00 and no idea if I can install it or if it will need to be configured by a dealer and what that cost will be.

I never use cruise control so that seems like a lot to throw away on something to make a light go off on the dash.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 PM

I have put over 120K miles on my 95 XJS daily driver and have not once even turned the cruise on to see if it works. Guess I will tomorrow just out of curiosity.

Last edited by Eagle180; 03-22-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Go on ebay, find a used one for a few hundred bucks with a warranty (at least long enough to hook it up and make sure it works) and fix it! That price is nuts and sounds like a dealer price. You have an 05, so it should be the more common ACC module that was used from 05-09 in XJ's, 05-?? XK's and maybe even some of the newer XF's and XJ's (someone would have to correct me on this as to when they exactly when to the next gen system in the new models). The other option is take it apart and try to fix it!

I bought my 05 SV8 without the ACC working (can get a better price because of the issue) and looked into doing as you thought, turn it off in the car config. That was just too much of a hassel. So, I took the module apart and found two bad pins internally (my thread on it is on the site somewhere) and replaced them. That was a few years ago and it is working perfect to this day. My second choice was getting a used radar module on ebay (had found one with warranty for $150).

Adaptive cruise is the best thing ever! I love it for really long road trips. I can drive for hours without ever touching the gas pedal!

The following users liked this post:
Eagle180 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 PM

I will look for it. Thank you.
Have no problem dropping a couple hundred on it or tinkering with a broken one.
Just like the wobbling window switches in my XJS. I drilled out the lame round tabs and pushed a metal rod through...no more wobbling.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Looking at the wiring diagram - its in the CAN network, it communicates with ECM, Instrument Pack, ABS/Dynamic Stability, and Trans module. Trying to disconnect it may disrupt system and display warning on dash.

There are 2 fuses, but 1 supplies power to multiple items on the car. You can try taking out fuse 27 in the passenger compartment fuse to see if this will disable it.

Otherwise, you can still turn it off by using the switch on the dash.
Good evening group. Hey I'm having issues with the adaptive speed control on my 07 xjr. I have noticed that when I'm having the issue, the check engine light comes on and I get a code in ABS for lost communication with ACC. The IP will have the same code of lost communication with ACC and the GEM will also display the same code alone with ECM. When this occurs, the car will not start as a result. I can use my scantool and go to each system and erase each code and once I'm done, the car will start just fine until those same codes come back again, then I will have to repeat the process. I was told that I could turn off or disconnect the adaptive speed control and I should be fine. Does anyone in the group have any knowledge of such information or can anyone offer any assistance in this matter?