XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Under engine splash shield

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under engine splash shield

2005 VDP, My mechanic removed, a so called engine splash shield, for the want of another name, from under the car while replacing some brake lines. He had a hard time getting it off due to rusted fasteners etc.and he threw it in the trunk. It's about 4' by 4' and cant quite find one on eBay. Is this really necessary to replace or can it be omitted?
Many thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

It's there for aero drag reduction. It also catches fluid drips, so if you have an oil leak or transmission fluid leak, your garage floor won't inform you of this fact. I've not removed mine permanently, although I'm considering not restoring it next time it comes off.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:33 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

You could search using the part number moulded into the plastic. The last 2 letters can be different to yours but they are only revision numbers. Or try looking on
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...-jaguar-parts/ for the part number

Old 08-06-2023, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info, probably at my age I don't need it for drag reduction, lol Also if I start getting drips, probably want to know about it.
Your conclusion makes sense, think I'll hide it at the back of my garage and see how it goes.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

Just make sure no other shield connects to it that the shield still on the car needs for stability. Especially the bumper cover

Old 08-06-2023, 10:54 AM

Thanks Scott, I didn't think of a stability issue. Are you referring to the stability of the other shields? I haven't got under the car personally but what other shields under the car are there other than the bumper shield?
Many thanks...

Old 08-06-2023, 06:05 PM
Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

The shield under the bumper is the only one, if I remember right. I don't think that one is in any danger of flopping around with the main shield removed, although the main shield has nowhere to attach at the front without the bumper shield. In other words, leaving the big one out should be OK, but leaving the bumper shield out and trying to use the big one will not be pretty.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:53 PM

Perfect, thanks for that. Had the bumper shield removed temporarily so I could remove the bumper to work on the lights due to a condensation problem. Will replace the bumper shield when finished.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:06 AM
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts

C2C37000 is the part number for the undertray or COVER, FRONT UNDER, at least for my 04 XJR. Was the cover damaged on removal and do you need a new one? Or just fasteners?
One site won't sell because of the extreme shipping costs. Probably a salvage yard would be the best route.
I imagine the largest effect would be the aero effect on gas mileage. No idea how much that would be. It also contains a NACA duct for the alternator cooling ducting. Might not matter.
Got me wondering if I shouldn't leave mine off next time I do an oil change. It is a pain to R&R.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:38 AM

Thanks for that. I didn't realize you had to remove this shield to do an oil change. Any thoughts on completing an oil change through the dipstick?
If your considering leaving off the engine shield would it be possible to leave off the bumper shield also, that one was a real pain due to rusted fasteners.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:44 AM
Received 236 Likes on 194 Posts

You will need to remove the shield in any case to be able to remove the oil filter, An oil change without replacing the oil filter does the engine no favours.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 08-07-2023, 12:15 PM

Pretty sure the engine shield not going back and that is a great reason.
Considering now whether it would be ok to leave off the bumper shield, was also a pain...

Old 08-07-2023, 04:08 PM

You shouldn't need to remove the bumper shield unless you are removing the bumper. I would leave it in place as it helps maintain the shape of the bumper.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:08 PM
Received 236 Likes on 194 Posts

I would keep the bumper shield on. In my experience, it has to come off quite rarely, and as mentioned above, it gives stability to the bumper cover.
On my car, both shields are on and I do not mind removing them when necessary, but then I did not have issues with rusted bolts ans screws, and, I must admit, I have have the luxury of a pit and now also a lift, which facilitates things enormously.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:14 PM

It is a lot easier to remove if all the fittings aren't rusted up. I had to drill or grind almost all the fittings when I removed the bumper due to foggy lights. I replaced with a stainless kit on ebay and it is easy to remove now.

That reminds me, for foggy headlights I would check the seal in the big cover on the back, the one held down by that stupid wire clip. You will probably find it has come out of place and that is letting the water in.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

06 XJ8L--Mine had partially been ripped off after driving through a monsoon storm in North Phoenix (rapid washes on roadways, rocks, etc...). I removed the rest the next morning, and have been driving without it for about 8 months with no issue.

I have not experienced any issues with drag or decreased MPG.

I have, however, seen much more frequent accumulation of dust in the engine bay, which could just be a desert thing.

Jag on,
Doug

Old 08-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I get removing it for seeing oil, or other fluid leaks. BUT you all have forgotten one thing about undertray or COVER. If you have not noticed that the oil filter is very exposed without the cover. All it takes is a rock hitting it, and guess what big oil leak oil, and you will not know till maybe a dead engine. I will never leave mine off. Also other items are now not protected, but are much harder to get hit by something from the road.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:09 AM
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree with the folks above. I don't know why the shield under the bumper would have to come off unless one were actually removing the bumper cover. And it's silly, but I think nothing of driving my truck which never had an under tray, but leaving it off the car just somehow seems wrong. So for a once a year oil change, I think I'll leave mine. Probably makes it 15mph faster and saves $2.53 in gas every year.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Also to add. The manufacture put it on the car for a reason. Trust me if they did not feel it needed be on the car they would have not spent the money to design and make it. They would save a lot more money, and still charge the same price. They build the cars to make money, and design things so that the consumer can't sue for simple things that this covers. Also you if you remove it the you are liable for repairs. Yes these cars are no longer under warranty, but this also pertains to new cars of today.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 673 Posts

The shields also offer some portection for the starter, alternator.
Recomend replacing, any and all, broken, or missing plastic.

Quick Reply: Under engine splash shield