XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Underbody brakeline leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Underbody brakeline leak

Well I examined my brake lines subsequent to the post started by Mongoose and decided maybe I should start a new thread since my discovery is slightly removed from the original thread. I do have a brake fluid leak that was revealed following an inspection of the area as suggested. My vehicle history records shows the brake line recall work was completed and the shield shows an area of padding has been removed from beneath the fittings. I cannot tell visually if a line was physically replaced or just looked at and the padding removed. However for some reason my line has developed a leaky connection and there does not appear to be obvious cause. I have no idea why it has started dripping after more than 2 years and close to 8 thousand miles. I have had to add fluid twice in the past 2-3 weeks and until recently I never had a wet spot on the drive. I did tighten both fittings slightly with my 13mm flare wrenches but do not expect that to do it as neither fitting was very loose. I may just keep an eye on the area and continue to top off the fluid until later as I do not really want to try a repair at this date. The weather is starting to change and I need to get on top of at least one of my projects so I can get into the garage.

I believe that it may be possible to break the connections and “clean up” the flares with emery cloth but that may not fix the leak It may be necessary to actually replace one or both sides of the connection. I do not want to try and redo a flare on the tubing while it is on the vehicle without having the materials ready to replace the line(s) if necessary. Next spring I can take the opportunity to swap my rear brake rotors and pads with my new ones and take the opportunity to flush the fluid with new. The brake lines do measure as being exactly 3/16" with my handy cheap Cen Tec digital caliper.

Shortened pad?

Fittings

Little friend under the shield.

Little friend no longer under the shield