XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Unreliable Jaguar electronics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down Unreliable Jaguar electronics...

...I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED! This is getting ridiculous. I have a 2005 Jaguar XJR, and am having nothing but problems with everything electrical. It seems that they have not improved upon their terrible reputation. I now have no blower in the cabin, I have no radio/DVD player, and I occasionally have navigation/centre console screen. It only turns on when it feels like it, and when it is off, the backlit buttons around it are dim/stuttering. Jaguar has told me that the radio issue is the AMP itself, however if the amp was bad, wouldnt it not work all the time? It comes and goes, sometimes at full prowess, others the console does not even recognize that it is there. They say the blower motor is probably the control unit, however I do not with to drop the $450 to fix that, when the centre console itself does not work, how do I know it isnt something else? I'm beginning to hate Jaguar -_- Any help?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Sounds like an electrical supply issue. Has anything been done, or happened recently relating to the car, like work carried out, etc ?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM

I have taken it to the dealer a few times, they are great, but i think all they check is the system codes. I have a drainage problem in the trunk causing it to fill with water. I am about to try to change out every fuse for new ones, maybe they got a little corrosion from being in the damp area? Jaguar keeps clearing out the codes, but the problems keep coming back. The radio on/off has been a problem since I bought the car, but after they cleared them the first time it worked again for a few months. Then it stopped, then worked again out of nowhere, now doesnt again. Also, the screen/display issue JUST started happening yesterday, but it does seem like it is a power issue since it doesnt even have enough voltage to completely light up the backlit buttons. The cabin blower has been off for quite some time, but it did originally work. The thing is, i did not do anything to the car directly prior to these issues, I just drove it normally to and from work/school...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Hmmm sounds like you just have 2 problems to me. Yes you need a blower control module aka resistor pack. The 1 for an ax8 is cheaper and while diff parts number works fine for a couple hundred less. And yes if the amp is internally loosing its d2b fibre optic wake up signal. The whole nav/entertainment system wont come up ecause they too wont get their signal. (think old style christmas lights in series) nothing really out of the ordinary for failure on a 7yr old car that hasnt been seen before. Besides blame ford, its their system which was a huge reliablity jump for jag in electronics. And the amp is made in china just like all the other suto manufacturers systems. Nothing new there

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Hmmm sounds like you just have 2 problems to me. Yes you need a blower control module aka resistor pack. The 1 for an ax8 is cheaper and while diff parts number works fine for a couple hundred less. And yes if the amp is internally loosing its d2b fibre optic wake up signal. The whole nav/entertainment system wont come up ecause they too wont get their signal. (think old style christmas lights in series) nothing really out of the ordinary for failure on a 7yr old car that hasnt been seen before. Besides blame ford, its their system which was a huge reliablity jump for jag in electronics. And the amp is made in china just like all the other suto manufacturers systems. Nothing new there
Yeah I know about the ford issue, I had an 87 XJS, now THAT had electrical problems haha. I got a quote for the alpine amp repair of $200 from a local car stereo repair place, much better than the $1300 jaguar quoted me. And thank you very much for the ax8 replacement! I'll be looking into that. Correct me if I am wrong, but the resistor pack is located behind the glove box? I'll be changing it myself if i can get my hands on one, however all local car parts stores do not carry many jaguar parts apparently -_- If i change the amp and the control module and still have any issues, i'll be bringing it back to the dealer

Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Btw, its from the 07 and newer xk8 for the ac blower module

Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Btw, its from the 07 and newer xk8 for the ac blower module
Okay thank you, that was my next question!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting... my 05 XJ8L never had a single issue, electrical or mechanical. It even survived hitting a dip with no damage. Only thing that bothers me is it drifts and rattles in high winds, which is surprising given the size of the car.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

If you think Jag electronics are unreliable. Bmw 7 series cars are horendous. My 7 series was a pos. I have 3 other friend that owm them and all have experianced the same issues. That why I drive a Jag and not a bmw now.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine drifts on the highway in high winds too, surprised me the first time it happened

Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Mine drifts on the highway in high winds too, surprised me the first time it happened
I also noticed this shortly after I got the car in May 2010, especially cross-winds. I put it down to being a large car, (hence a big wind sail), but light in weight, (less than an S-Type).

I am used to it now; it doesn't dive into the ditch, anyway !!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a feeling that it is cause by the flatty underpanel that suppose to help aerodynamic. Once the wind comes underneath it it cancel out the negative pressure that the forward movement that create it and thus it feels like it's lifting the car if my sentense make sense???