XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Update on my X358

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Car now looks like a different animal altogether with these on, from the rear anyway........REALLY LOVING the look.
Velly sexy..... I might have to treat myself to a pair for fathers day lol

Last edited by Christian Pugh; 06-12-2016 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Pugh
Velly sexy..... I might have to treat myself to a pair for fathers day lol

Ahh, the exhaust finishers Christian?
Certainly one of the best and cheapest visual mods, really makes a difference from the rear, much more aggressive looking

Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahh, the exhaust finishers Christian?
Ah yes Jim, thats exactly what I meant. Nothing like some well placed sparkle to brighten the rear end of an already good looking butt :0)

Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Well, called in to Prestige this morning and had the car on the diagnostics, Dougie cleared any codes and will re check when she's next in, relating to the sound issues.

The battery was checked ( has the Jaguar logo on it ) and may be the original that came with the car. Checks out as good and 88% so we'll run with that for the meantime.
I'm awaiting info for pricing on cam belt, tensioners and water pump.
I also asked him again about the ignition, not happy as I paid around £200 for that if memory serves and still sticky, so he'll be checking that for me once again!

May also ask him to do a full and thorough check on all suspension components in an effort to get to the bottom of the steering wheel tremble issue.
Other than that I may look at a transmission service in the next 5k - 10k miles too.

Jim

Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well, had the car in at Prestige this morning with a view to getting the cam belt, tensioners and water pump replaced, this should be done at 105k miles, I'm at 102k so now would be a good time to do it.

She's booked in for 4th July for this and also for checks on sticky ignition barrel as well as replacing the fibre optic cabling in the boot to see if that will resolve my intermittent sound issues.

On a happy note, coming out of the local shop this evening I was stopped by passer by who commented "it was one of the nicest Jags he'd seen in a while".......
Thanks very much I replied with a big smile on my face....lol
See thread here.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-miles-164383/

Onwards n upwards
Jim

Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well dropped the car off yesterday and left her for the full day, collected around lunch time today.
The cam belt, tensioners and water pump all done ( fresh anti freeze of course ) so that's all good for another wee while.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-miles-164383/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tently-154827/

The ignition barrel sticking issue was also resolved, now smooooth as butter, a real joy to turn the key at last!
The fibre optic cable was replaced in the rear of the vehicle too on Evan Trinh's recommendation for my intermittent sound issues, so we'll see how that goes In the fullness of time I guess.......I'll report back

Old 07-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

As some of you know I had the car detailed around a month ago, they did a really good job too, very well pleased.

In the meantime it's suffered a scratch or two and there were also some RDS that were unable to be removed. In an effort to firstly repair these little scratches and or to preserve the finish achieved by detailing so far, and moving forward..........

I spent several hours today, firstly washing and drying her, with the intention of applying Poorboys Blackhole ( a filler glaze ) and then topping it off with Chemical guys BLACK wax ( designed specifically for Black coloured cars using nano technology )

The Poorboys Blackhole I know well, an amazing product and one any black car owning enthusiast should try. I was interested to see the CG Black wax and how it performed too.

The PB Blackhole smells gorgeous and is easy on / easy off. Having said that I forget sometimes just what a LARGE car she is, took around 2 hours. The Chemical Guys BLACK wax is
also easy on / easy off and also took around 2 hours, suffice to say my arms are hanging off, lol

As the weather was definitely not playing ball, I went to the local car park under cover, it's usually deserted and most enthusiasts use it for this and small DIY jobs of one sort or another....

Anyway, here's the results for those that are interested....

Name:  2_zpsyv43akv2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  163.3 KB
Name:  3_zpszei5lbm9.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  133.8 KB
Name:  4_zpsb3ycqgue.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  126.8 KB
Name:  1_zpsvgkhlxhg.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  145.7 KB

Reflection shot in door panel of the car park shows decent results I think....
Name:  5_zpszujnqvdg.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  94.1 KB
Name:  6_zpsqimsyxqq.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  78.4 KB

I'm hoping it'll help to protect the finish for a few months before re applying, topping it up for maximum protection through the winter.

Don B (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Well, first time I've had the "Red warning light" & service required message in the info display.
After checking my oil as a matter of urgency I found that the levels were at the max line, this after only around 6 weeks and approx. 4k miles of driving!

This is a little earlier than usual?
I put it down to perhaps it being a little over the halfway line when done last time and some fairly serious mile in such a short timescale, I hope!!

Anyhow, oil & filter changed again today for very reasonable money at National Tyres so hopefully all good for another wee while.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, first time I've had the "Red warning light" & service required message in the info display.
After checking my oil as a matter of urgency I found that the levels were at the max line, this after only around 6 weeks and approx. 4k miles of driving!

This is a little earlier than usual?
I put it down to perhaps it being a little over the halfway line when done last time and some fairly serious mile in such a short timescale, I hope!!

Anyhow, oil & filter changed again today for very reasonable money at National Tyres so hopefully all good for another wee while.
Glad to hear you got it sorted Jim, I think I haven't done even 4K in a year!
Hope the car is still running well apart from that.

JimC64 (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SimonXJ
Glad to hear you got it sorted Jim, I think I haven't done even 4K in a year!
Hope the car is still running well apart from that.
Hi Simon, thanks, seems all good for now mate
I'm just chasing down this tremble from the steering wheel, basically all the time when driving. It's not major, but damned annoying and shouldn't be there so want it fixed.

Now at around 105k and had the transmission serviced at around 62k so may elect to get that done again shortly. After that there's not a lot to do without being ultra picky and I may just decide enough is enough and enjoy her for what she is

Thanks

Old 07-26-2016, 03:34 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I found that the levels were at the max line

Max?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PigletJohn
Max?
Maximum PJ

Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I was wondering why this would put the red light on. Is it a diesel? So the level went up with fuel contamination?

Sorry, not what I was expecting.

Last edited by PigletJohn; 07-27-2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PigletJohn
I was wondering why this would put the red light on. Is it a diesel? So the level went up with fuel contamination?

Sorry, not what I was expecting.
Hi John, yes it's a diesel car, 2.7Tdvi remapped to 250bhp
There's a known DPF issue on these cars whereby the regeneration doesn't fully complete under certain circumstances, the excess fuel dumps into the sump and the oil level rises.

There's an algorithm that calculates the percentage of oil dilution I believe and it generates a service required message.
I usually get an amber message with this, it's the first time I've received a red warning.

I'm wondering if it's a combination of things. The young guy that did the oil change may have filled it a little over the normal halfway that I ask for. I also did a lot of miles in very quick succession and this may have brought it straight to red very quickly

Thanks

Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Well, still looking into this ongoing "slight steering wheel trembling issue" and will be having a few things checked.
As part of this I had the front suspension examined a few days ago and all seems in excellent shape, except.......perhaps a little soft in the banana arm bushes on the front drivers side ( these were done perhaps 3 months or so ago )
There's also a little bit of play in the top suspension arm

Whether these in and of themselves are enough to cause this issue I don't know but I will be examining further Monday next week.
Also taken into consideration will be the steering rack bolts checked for correct torque as well as the steering column pinch bolt. The other thing I'm looking to get checked out is the active engine mount

Back to today, I took the car into my local Kwik Fit as they have a Hunter road force balancing machine just to check. I'd been advised that there was a little wear on the inner edges of the front tyres, possibly a toe in misalignment issue.
I had intended to put the fronts on the rear and swap the rears to the front as well as correcting the issue................well,

It turns out that the fronts are down to around 2.5mm and the rears are at around 4.5mm. I hadn't realised I've covered around 17,600 miles in that time!!
So fronts for the bin and I'll keep the rears to re sell on Ebay /Gumtree etc

New rubber all round and went for the Dunlop SP Maxx ( J ) and got a great deal, £556.00 for the 4 so that job's done. By the time I sell my old 2 tyres it'll be a cost of around £460, decent price really.

Onwards n upwards and will see what next week brings
Jim

Don B (08-08-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Called at Prestige Jaguar today chasing down this steering wheel tremble issue, although to be fair, it seems quite improved after recent new tyres and wheel alignment to resolve camber problems!

Whilst there I had them check the steering rack mounts and steering column pinch bolt etc....( all good )
I also had them look at the rear diff, they did this around 2 and and half years ago, new propshaft, drive shafts etc.........the rear diff has a slight leak, slightly weeping, look to be from the pinion seal area.

While the undertray was off we noticed the coolant pipe was looking a little the worse for wear, a little rusty as well.

I have it booked in for next week to replace the rear diff pinion seal, replace the coolant pipe and will also renew the fuel filter and air filter while I'm there too

Jim

Old 08-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Gave the engine bay a wipe over tonight and added the leaper to match the JAGUAR lettering. A little spruce up and the addition of the leaper makes a nice subtle difference I think, well pleased.

Name:  103_zpsz2pqhwkc.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  121.8 KB

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Datsports (08-26-2016), lcmjaguar (08-18-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

As I had the car in a week or so ago getting new tyres fitted I noticed a slight weeping coming from the rear diff, thought I better get that checked out pronto

So in at Prestige today and had the following done

New coolant pipe as original was corroded ( preventative measure ) and obviously coolant checked, changed etc

I had an oil and filter change only done a very short while ago, so also took the opportunity to get the air filter and fuel filter replaced whilst I was there.

Lastly the rear differential pinion seal was replaced to cure the weeping and oil level checked & topped up as required

That's her prezzie for August, lol
Jim

Old 08-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, so I was leaving the house this afternoon and almost immediately got an Amber warning light and Restricted Performance message.

Initially I wasn't overly concerned as I've had similar a year or so ago, once, possibly even twice and a quick ignition cycle cleared itself and all good.

Travelled a few hundred yards down the street, lumpy as hell, try a few ignition cycles and this bugger is not clearing, hmmm....not good!

A quick call to my breakdown service and they're on their way, arriving in around 25 mins or so, they get a code reader on her and she promptly spits out P132E code Turbocharger boost pressure, Control B malfunction, see post here.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rmance-168171/

Jim

Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

The news is in, replacement turbo required left hand bank unfortunately.

I have a replacement refurbished unit on its way with a years guarantee, parts, around 6 hours or so of labour etc etc, so around £1k
It's not so much the money ( well it is really, lol ) it's more about the whole car broken down, transported to dealer and car-less for around a week scenario. As someone who usually does preventative maintenance and tried to look after their vehicle this is a whole new experience for me

I could've went down the 2nd hand route and had one bought, installed etc for around £400 but opted for the safer route

Anyhow, turbo on its way and should be ok good to go for late Thursday, Friday latest

Jim

lcmjaguar (08-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Update on my X358