XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Update on my X358

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
556Nm is 410 ft. lbs. of torque! Our '04 XJR is rated at "just" 399 ft. lbs., so I'm not surprised your car will get up and go!

Cheers,

Don

Yes, the rear hunkers down when getting heavy on the loud pedal and a split second later you ride a wave of torque, really impressive especially as she's the LWB model.
Unfortunately I don't have the Supercharger whine to go with it, but when driven "normally" have seen 48.2 mpg and 720 miles to a tank, so I guess you just can't have it all.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-25-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Intending to take the car in on Tuesday for checking the wind noise, door mirror housing area.
The plan is to get them to check this, also to get the diagnostics ran as a health check.
I've recently had a "vehicle too low" error message, but the car raised up quickly and no issues since?

I have a warranty with the car and would like to see if there are any problems that need addressed while the warranty is in force, makes sense
Roll on Tuesday......

Also more recently, I've changed my wheel centre caps, went for cheaper aftermarket ones instead of paying around £76 for original OEM, Big mistake as they lost their colour within weeks.
So a genuine set fitted, a gift I received from Rab ( a very kind gesture ) and they look awesome.....Really RED and a great match for the calipers

Also considering a front end repaint of the bonet, bumper and leading edges of the wings soon. Over and above this, as winter approaches and even though I have approx. 4-5mm of tread I may replace tyres with new ones as there are such great deals on Barums at the moment

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Okee dokee, finally have a fix at least for the door mirror housing wind noise
Took the car in to to Prestige today and took the door card off to investigate, I was correct, the door mirror housing area is where the wind noise eminates from.

Firstly and as pointed out previously, the external mirror seal is poorly fitted ( or so I thought ).....On checking several other cars of the same type, year etc they are all absolutely identical. I would therefore imagine that you all have the same poorly fitted seal on the exterior of your cars too.

Taking the door card off, then removing the mirror seal and finally the mirror itself, reveals the interior foam / rubber seal.
This also is poorly manufactured / fitted and leaves a substantial gap around the housing, hence the wind noise, see pics below.....

Name:  1_zps7uznn2nm.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  147.0 KB
Name:  drivers%20side%20door%20mirror%20seal_zpso921tcsa.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  105.4 KB

using black silicone sealant we filled this gap internally and then adjusted the seal as best we could and buttoned it all back up, reinstalled the mirror housing, seal and door card
We then added black silicone sealant around the exterior seal, filling the gaps there too for good measure.
Road tested ( at considerable speed, triple digits for good measure ) and bam, no wind noise from that area, now totally eliminated

Also ordered 2 new front foglight surrounds, the chrome strips are tired and chipped after many thousands of miles and beyond refurbishment. I'll pick them up in a few weeks time as I intend to book her in for a front end paint job on the bonnet, bumper and wings soon

The following 5 users liked this post by JimC64:
AD2014 (09-25-2015), Don B (09-25-2015), JeffG94 (07-24-2022), John Fox (09-26-2015), mhamilton (09-28-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Jim,

THANK YOU for tracking this down! We have the same issue on driver's side exterior mirror and your fix is just what I needed to know.

BTW, have you noticed that your driver's side mirror is on the wrong side of your car?

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Don, I'm almost sure that'll be your issue too.
As I mentioned, checking several vehicles similar to mine, ALL have the same poorly fitted exterior seal too!
I'll try to take a pic of mine now that its been "filled" as it were on the exterior.

Not travelling in the passenger side I can't say with any certainly, but my guess is that'll be the same as well, and need attention.
My replacement foglight housings are now available and the hope / plan is to get her in for the nose job ( bonnet / bumper and wings ) in the next few weeks......can't wait.

Although my tyres ( need to double check to be sure ) are around 4-5mm I'm considering replacing them too, in time for the winter.
On the noise reduction front - I'm currently looking at Silentcoat sound deadening material and thinking about starting at the boot, moving on to the door internals and wheel well liners at some point

Don B (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks Jim for tracking this down, my passenger side mirror has an issue but I haven't had time to take it all apart, this will give me a head start for sure. Funny, that (fitment) was something I noticed right away and told my wife it would be the wind noise issue. She drives the car 95% of the time and actually asked last week when I was going to get around to fixing it so this will push me forward now.

JimC64 (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks John, good luck and hope to hear of a fix for you

Old 10-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

For those that this may affect, I finally got around to adding a couple of pics
These are of the external door mirror housing seal, unfortunately I have no before's of my drivers side ( which was the worst, but the passenger side isn't much better)
On aside note, having checked several similar cars they all look the same!!
Here's the passenger side..... Note the poor seal around the top apex of the seal set up!

Name:  passenger%20side%20door%20mirror%20seal_zpsb3bjaoql.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  113.7 KB

Here's the drivers side after......note the use of black silicone sealant to get the best possible finish.
I suppose it's fairly obvious close up, but a few feet away it's totally invisible.

Name:  drivers%20side%20door%20mirror%20seal_zpso921tcsa.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  105.4 KB

I still believe it was the interior seal fix that resolved the issue, however, perhaps this also had a part to play.

Name:  1_zps7uznn2nm.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  147.0 KB

So, I was trying to remember if I actually had cleaned my leather or had just conditioned it, but checked back and saw this post.
The reasoning behind it
As I had done my mates X type a week or so ago, I thought I'd check mine and did a 50/50 on the front passenger seat, see below.....

Name:  seat%2050%2050_zpssy2ypt4v.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  66.2 KB

Ok so it's not horrific or even a night n day difference, but I was surprised to see just how dirty it had become in a little over 18 months.
Autoglym leather cleaner and nail brush used, then wiped over with a clean microfiber. Then it was treated with Autoglym leather conditioner......did all the door cards, glove box etc too, so she looks really clean n smells great too, all good.

Rear licence plate bulb out, so I replaced today, decided to replace both as perhaps the other one was old / weaker, ready to fail at some point soon too.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well, as some of you may or may not know, I've been having issues, documented for some time with a sticky ignition barrel......every time I turn the key it sticks just a little then I have to force it somewhat and she starts no problems.

It's been like that for 18 months and probably some time before I bought her, but enough is enough and even at £250 it's time to get it done, so she's booked in for next Thursday for this.
I'm also getting the brake fluid and power steering fluid changed out, it's also been in there for 18 months and I'm unsure as to when it was last done, so something else off the list

I'll be picking up my new front fog light housings when I'm there too, looking forward to it, although I won't be fitting them as I hope to have the front end done in the near future, so I'll save them for then.
Although I've had the car tracking checked and done some time ago, I swear she's still pulling a little to the right ( this is borne out by some shoulder wear on drivers tyre ) so that'll be getting done too.

I've asked them to do a check over of the car to see what if any problems there may be, I still have warranty on the car so anything showing up would be good to get looked at now
After this , I may get 4 new tyres next weekend, Conor works at Kwik Fit and advised of a great 50% sale on Pirelli / Bridgestone and Conti's so may as well get them done, really can't say no at these prices

My existing tyres still have around 4mm + on them so there'll be around £100 or so back on them no doubt, for someone looking for good quality spares, or track tyres.
Then the sound deadening will be approaching I think, really chomping at the bit to get into this and see how it goes.....

Keep you all posted

Old 10-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

OOI, is this an original key, and is it worn or damaged? This design of Chubb cylinder is very sensitive to the accuracy of the key.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hi there, yes both are original keys.
One ( the main ) key looks like its been used the most, the 2nd key looks hardly touched and both are the same, hence we believe it to be the barrel itself

Old 10-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Just reading the last page of this update and I can't quite get my mind around the statement "but when driven "normally" have seen 48.2 mpg". Reallly? Even if that is in Imperial gallons it is still over 38.5 MPG in US gallons. Really? My SV8 driven "normally" gets 21 to 22 MPG US.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
Just reading the last page of this update and I can't quite get my mind around the statement "but when driven "normally" have seen 48.2 mpg". Reallly? Even if that is in Imperial gallons it is still over 38.5 MPG in US gallons. Really? My SV8 driven "normally" gets 21 to 22 MPG US.
Jim's XJ is a diesel

Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Jim's XJ is a diesel
Oops. I see that now in his signature; should have been more observant. I'm just not used to the idea of diesel jaguars

I hope it isn't running on German software.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
Oops. I see that now in his signature; should have been more observant. I'm just not used to the idea of diesel jaguars

I hope it isn't running on German software.

There's so many diesels over here now, between my sons and I we now have 4 in the family ( 3 X type diesels ) along with another bought for my friend around a month ago

Old 10-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well, as some of you may or may not know, I've been having issues, documented for some time with a sticky ignition barrel......every time I turn the key it sticks just a little then I have to force it somewhat and she starts no problems.

It's been like that for 18 months and probably some time before I bought her, but enough is enough and even at £250 it's time to get it done, so she's booked in for next Thursday for this.
I'm also getting the brake fluid and power steering fluid changed out, it's also been in there for 18 months and I'm unsure as to when it was last done, so something else off the list

I'll be picking up my new front fog light housings when I'm there too, looking forward to it, although I won't be fitting them as I hope to have the front end done in the near future, so I'll save them for then.
Although I've had the car tracking checked and done some time ago, I swear she's still pulling a little to the right ( this is borne out by some shoulder wear on drivers tyre ) so that'll be getting done too.

I've asked them to do a check over of the car to see what if any problems there may be, I still have warranty on the car so anything showing up would be good to get looked at now
After this , I may get 4 new tyres next weekend, Conor works at Kwik Fit and advised of a great 50% sale on Pirelli / Bridgestone and Conti's so may as well get them done, really can't say no at these prices

My existing tyres still have around 4mm + on them so there'll be around £100 or so back on them no doubt, for someone looking for good quality spares, or track tyres.
Then the sound deadening will be approaching I think, really chomping at the bit to get into this and see how it goes.....

Keep you all posted

Well, just a few hours to go and she'll be with Prestige as above getting some work done and collecting my fog light housings.
I'm buzzing as this is the start of a new period and hopefully raising the level another little.
Aiming to get the new tyres ordered on Saturday, probably fitted several days later and then perhaps onto the sound deadening trials......

Old 10-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Had the brake fluid and power steering fluid done today ( the ignition barrel didn't turn up so postponed that for another day )
The power steering fluid seems to have made a difference!
I had a slight power steering pump type grumble on approaching full lock, minimal but there nonetheless.
This now resolved.

Dougie's also spoke to rep for Pagid, they'd like to come in and check for Hub run out / check discs etc rather than just put another set on to go the same way. In some ways I hope they find an issue with the hubs at which point I'll replace if this will solve the problem

At the same time, they'll install the new ignition barrel and ( as my new tyres will be fitted ) also check the alignment once again

Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Bought a full set of new tyres for the car today, paid for them but haven't seen them, not fitted as yet.
Connor had a fantastic deal through his job, 4 NEW Pirelli P Zero 255 35 20 97Y XL load rated J fitment tyres for £450
A full set should be in the region of £1000 so a really good saving.

In fact he, Jamie and Peter all got full sets of Pirelli's and Michelins for their cars making a saving of around £300 each!

I'll probably get them fitted the week after next, then visit Prestige for alignment and other work that I want done

Old 11-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well, as some of you may or may not know, I've been having issues, documented for some time with a sticky ignition barrel......every time I turn the key it sticks just a little then I have to force it somewhat and she starts no problems...
I am probably late to this part of the discussion, but the outside door lock on my SV8 was completely stuck and would not turn at all as if I had the wrong key. I sprayed some liquid wrench into it with the little straw and overnight it freed up as if it had never been stuck at all. That's probably not your issue since the ignition switch gets used often and I suspect the PO of mine never used the key in the door, but I thought I'd mention it.

JimC64 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Phil, a spray of WD40 here n there helps for a very short period of time, more like hours than days, so no resolving this issue that way I'm afraid.
Trust me I 'd rather save £240 and not have to buy a new ignition barrel....lol
So today, I had my 4 NEW Pirelli P Zero 255 35 20 97Y XL load rated J fitment tyres fitted, a REAL bargain at only £450
A full set should be in the region of £1000 so a really good saving.

Nice tread pattern, good looking tyres so now I'll get them run in, I have a little trip tomorrow of around 770 miles so that should do it!
They've also helped to quieten the car down a little too, so that's an added bonus
Also got the Hunter 4 wheel tracking / camber / caster alignment done.

Quick Reply: Update on my X358