XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Update on my X358

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Back onto this brake juddering issue once more.
I had a front set of Pagid quality discs n pads fitted, probably around 10 months or so ago, this seemed to cure the issue for a wee while, but it returned around 2-3 months ago.

Pagid offered up a new set of brake discs and pads under warranty and they were fitted and all was cured once more. At the same time I just went ahead and renewed the rear discs n pads too.....ALL DONE!

Well, the judder has returned once more with a vengeance, so into Prestige to get checked again........I mentioned my thoughts on hub run out and the Pagid rep came out to do a check, he confirmed his thoughts along these lines too, so.....

Looks like I'm getting new front hubs ( will try warranty route but I don't think these are covered! ) if not they'll be getting done anyway.
Depending on how this goes, I may elect to replace anti roll bar links and stabiliser bar too.
After all every other bush has ben replaced, new brakes all round, new tyres, new bubs so why not??
Kudos to Pagid, who said after this work has been completed they will supply another set of brake pads n discs to match up with the new hubs, can't fault them!!

After all this, I've asked Dougie to do an alignment check on it to true everything up.

Unfortunately the ignition barrel is still not here, so that'll have to wait another few weeks along with the sound deadening in the boot area

Old 11-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

Just had the news from Prestige, the warranty company won't cover the front hubs.....great?
They'll cover wheel bearings but NOT hubs......go figure.

Anyhow, bearing this in mind I gave Dougie the go ahead to do the following....
Replace both front hubs
Fit new brake discs and pads on the front ( covered by Pagid )
front wheel alignment

Over and above this, I've had an oil change done ( due another shortly ) rear brake pads n discs, foglight housing surrounds, power steering and brake fluid changed out, New Pirelli tyres all round and ignition barrel still to do shortly.
That'll be £1685.00 in the last few months, some I guess I had to do, some I wanted to do.

May leave it another few months before looking at the anti roll bar links / stabiliser links and then front end paint job, after I look at the sound deadening

Thinking I may need to name her L'Oreal - because she's worth it....lol
Hopefully picking her up later this afternoon

Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Running nice n smoothly after all the recent attention.....
Will be getting an oil change done shortly, MOT in the next few weeks, ignition barrel replaced and or possibly sound deadening

Old 11-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

oil change done today, 89,990 miles

Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

In answer to a question - "How is your XJ holding up at 90k miles?"

I bought my 58 plate ( now around 7 years old ) with 61k miles on the clock, she now has approaching 91k
In that time she's been very reliable and has never let me down in any way.

I have spent a lot of money on her, either via warranty or spent personally, here's my thread on her to date.....Update on my X358

I have a full excel spreadsheet on everything spent / done to date and yes it amounts to a lot, but.......

As I intend to keep her for a long time, a lot of the work done has been work I've "wanted" to do, small changes / upgrades etc and not work I've "needed" to do
I want to get her into the best shape I possibly can and that involves money and time

I don't mind spending the time / money as she's my baby and I want to make her the best she can be, always looking to upgrade etc and try to look ahead as best I can.....that way come MOT time there's usually no nasty surprises

Total cost to me so far £5546.24
Around £3053.95 of the above is WANT to do work, not necessarily needed

Name:  1_zpsmfa40j6s.png
Views: 179
Size:  232.3 KB

Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Well a nice little stretch of the cats legs today, left Glasgow and drove down to Warrington, then back up and on to Bridge of Allan before finally getting to Pitlochry
( I had some urgent parts that I collected / delivered - time sensitive for an important customer ) and then back home to Cumbernauld, just short of 600 miles.

Drove like a champ as always, no issues
Had a little good natured fun with an M5 on the M6 made a hundred miles disappear rapidly

Old 11-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

MOT time today....

I washed her and cleaner her inside n out as I generally do and popped along to get it done, even after spending a "fair amount of money" on front n rear suspension bushes in the past year, new front wheel hubs / bearings, brake pads and discs all round, new Pirelli tyres last few weeks as well as power steering and brake fluids......I was still nervous lol

Thinking, it's probably going to fail on a blown bulb or something really stupid

Anyway, passed All A ok, so all done for another year!

Old 11-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

I had a close call today, even after teaching the boys to drive and advising them that most accidents happen at roundabouts / junctions, I too was nearly caught out myself.....

The usual, approaching the junction, car in front edging along.....looking at the roundabout and there's a car coming on, but ages away ( you could get the car in front of me, my car and the one behind me out, all safely ) and looks back, sure enough, he's at a standstill!!!!

Immediate emergency brake, ABS kicks in BIG TIME and I end up around 1/4" off his back bumper......of course he was around 80 by the looks of it with his wife and just being super cautious, nearly ended in disaster but the gods ( and some quick reactions ) were on my side

Old 12-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Ok so today here is what we have done

Car was in at Prestige and had both front and rear ARB drop links replaced as well as rear stabiliser links.
Then she had 4 wheel alignment completed once again to ensure everything was hunky dory.
The new ignition barrel was also fitted and now much better.

Whilst there I had them fit my door "Jaguar logo" lights, as per the image below..
Name:  123_zpst0klpwps.png
Views: 180
Size:  166.0 KB

Once I get a chance and get the car cleaned etc I'll try and get a proper pic to post here to show "real life" results, although they are pretty awesome I have to say!!

Also had leds fitted to the side lights to match the dipped and full beam ( removing the yellow / dull ) look, this was replicated on the licence plate bulbs too, so front n rear looking really smart

Problem I need to resolve
Now the fog lights and door mirror lights are showing their age, so replacing them with led style bulbs etc will be next on the list.
Re the door mirror lights - I'm trying to chase down ( as per this thread )Jaguar logo puddle lights https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-logo-154020/

I'm really going to try and ensure I make this happen so that on opening the car there is a nice bright Jaguar welcome

Had new wiper blades fitted too just for good measure.
Cost a fair chunk but worth it for sure.......
All in all a good days work

Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Car was in at Prestige and had both front and rear ARB drop links replaced as well as rear stabiliser links.
Then she had 4 wheel alignment completed once again to ensure everything was hunky dory.

Whilst there I had them fit my door "Jaguar logo" lights, as per the image below..

Once I get a chance and get the car cleaned etc I'll try and get a proper pic to post here to show "real life" results, although they are pretty awesome I have to say!!

Also had leds fitted to the side lights to match the dipped and full beam ( removing the yellow / dull ) look, this was replicated on the licence plate bulbs too, so front n rear looking really smart

Now the fog lights and door mirror lights are showing their age, so replacing them with led style bulbs etc will be next on the list.
Re the door mirror lights - I'm trying to chase down ( as per this thread )Jaguar logo puddle lights https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-logo-154020/

I'm really going to try and ensure I make this happen so that on opening the car there is a nice bright Jaguar welcome

I had my wiper blades replaced recently and guffawed at the cost of them! I'll be prepared next time!

Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nlt624
I had my wiper blades replaced recently and guffawed at the cost of them! I'll be prepared next time!

Yes, not cheap!

Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Called Dougie, he's just to damn busy...lol
The price of success I guess?

Hoping to get in this week and get my foglights and hopefully door mirror lights upgraded, would love them done for Christmas.

Fingers crossed

Old 12-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

here's real life pics as promised
Here's the rub, my phone camera isn't the best, it's not pitch black ( street lighting / Christmas lighting etc ) and its taken on my monoblock driveway, hence it looks like there are parts missing, but in fact there are not
Rear door
Name:  20151221_181043_zpswq2gug4u.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  67.5 KB
Both front n rear doors ( front door partially obscuring the logo )
Name:  20151221_181102_zpskqhr1qsy.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  40.9 KB

Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 216 Likes on 149 Posts

Jim,
Can you shoot a photo of the door with the unit installed. I'd like to know how it changes the look of the door panel, before I order 2 sets from Hong Kong.
Thanks
Mark

Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Mark, here's a pic of the unit installed in the door. It's plug n play and a direct replacement for the existing unit.

Name:  20151222_144601_zpszeszwr5d.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  67.8 KB

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=JimC64;1369321]Hi Mark, here's a pic of the unit installed in the door. It's plug n play and a direct replacement for the existing unit.

Are you kidding? No extra wiring? I MUST have these!!!!

JimC64 (12-24-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

So simple and yet so effective, cost around £30 delivered and a direct plug n play replacement from the Bay of E

Old 12-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

So simple and yet so effective, cost around £30 delivered and a direct plug n play replacement from the Bay of E
Are these plug and play on 2006 models or only 2008 and up? I like the concept but I didn't care for having to drill into the bottom of the doors on some of those listed on ebay.

I wish there were some plug and play versions for the mirrors too.

JimC64 (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
Are these plug and play on 2006 models or only 2008 and up? I like the concept but I didn't care for having to drill into the bottom of the doors on some of those listed on ebay.

I wish there were some plug and play versions for the mirrors too.

The quick answer re 2006 compatibility is I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure, please check with the vendors on Ebay to confirm

Snap on the door mirrors, currently looking into that and will advise if I come up with something

Old 12-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

The good news?
The upside is that my beautiful wife and kids all chipped in and bought me this great little DA machine polisher for Xmas. Its made by Poorboys so you know it's good and comes as a kit with pads, carry holdall, various polishes etc too.
<a href="http://s140.photobucket.com/user/jaycam0802/media/20151225_172419_zpsu9nshbfm.jpg.html" target="_blank" abp="636">Name:  20151225_172419_zpsu9nshbfm.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  122.3 KB

I'm really so looking forward to trying it out and getting to grips with my car's overall finish, that being said.....

The bad news?
I picked up Jamie n Connor earlier today as they were coming to my house ( so they could have a drink or two )
Immediately as I pulled up I could see them talking and pointing to my rear bumper.....oh oh I thought, kidology at play and trying to pull a fast one.

I should add we all laugh n joke, play pranks etc ALL the time, so you never know what's true and what isn't!
I didn't pay it much notice initially, but they were insistent, but, also with big smiles on their faces ( mostly because I wasn't taking the seriously )

I get out to check, and sure enough, the passenger side rear bumper has a long scrap on it, some obvious car park damage where someone has just squeezed in and clipped it!!!
Not happy to say the least....

To be fair there was already a very small patch of paintwork damage starting to peel, only very small and I could live with it until I dealt with it properly and totally.

I got some materials out and went to work and managed to minimise it quite a bit, but still really noticeable to me

As I was already considering a front end nose job along with the leading edges of the wings and sills, and would have had to deal with the rear bumper, I may now, may consider a full respray.

Merry bloody Xmas to me.....lol

Quick Reply: Update on my X358