XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Updated nav map DVD sources?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I tried that. I tried the old disc, and I tried removing it and disconnecting the battery for a minute. Still a blank screen.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 PM

What I'm afraid of is that this is like flashing the bios in a computer - once the update starts you can't interrupt it.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 AM

I'm going to move this question to a new thread.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Ok, it's fixed now. I had decided to stop screwing with the nav last night and search for more solutions. However, I got to thinking - it can't be that easy to brick this unit. Something like a computer bios, yes, or rooting a smartphone, but most people who buy these cars don't know much about them. I guarantee someone has put a blu-ray disc in their nav drive as some point - it's a dvd player, right? - so Jaguar would have to make them more foolproof than that.

This morning I read the link that tmurray posted and saw that it said to put the new disc in and then wait 5 minutes for it to recover. I put the disc in and then went on to work, which took about 10 minutes. Still no screen. I left the car running and came out about 15 or 20 minutes later and voila! Everything was good. The logo screen changed from green to black, so apparently the software updated ok. I haven't checked the completeness of the maps yet but it does seem faster.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default 2011-2012 NAV DVD works perfectly @ $56.00

Originally Posted by edobernig
Ordered one Saturday. Another Jaguar adventure.

Regarding removing or changing the radio: Don't think that's possible because the HVAC controls are integrated into the factory unit.
Got my disk within a couple of days no problem from:

2012 JAGUAR XJ, X&S-TYPE GPS NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE DVD for sale
Went from a 2002-2003 disk to a 20011 -2012 disk no problem. Started the car opened the trunk removed the old disk and inserted the new disk. Took a little ride as the software loaded and in about 5 minutes it went back the home screen. Easy as that. I would recommend this guy for disks. Worked Great...for about $56 including shipping or go to the dealer for $219. I'm getting new mats next and maybe the wire grill. Drive On!

The following 4 users liked this post by edobernig:
dukeflyer (03-16-2020), Louis McMahon III (09-15-2013), luv2fly (10-09-2012), XJL (08-06-2014)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by txbrit
seen this for $53

2012 JAGUAR XJ, X&S-TYPE GPS NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE DVD for sale

while it looks like you get a 2012 DVD -how Original it might be is another question.......
It worked for me too. The DVD looks to be authentic enough as well. I was sort of expecting a hand scrawled label using a sharpie pen at that price.

2007 S-Type.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Incidentally, a copy of the DVD works just as well as the original. With the temperature in Texas constantly over 100, I didn't want the new DVD to fail. Using a copy and keeping the original in air conditioned storage is reasonable insurance.

I made an ISO file from the original and am keeping it on one of my gaming computers. I burned a copy to a DVD using the ISO. You need a double layer DVD if you want to do this. A regular DVD+/-R is too small. Of course, you can also just create the ISO for insurance and only burn the DVD if the original fails.

I used a free program called TinyBurn to create the ISO and burn the DVD. If you do the same, I suggest reading each step of the installation carefully. Like most free apps, they try to get you to install other, non related toolbars and search engines. I just clicked on "Decline" a few times.

So now I do, in fact, have a hand scrawled label using a sharpie pen.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , i can provide same discs at 40$ shipped anywhere in North America . Payment via paypal. Direct message with any questions/concerns thanks!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 AM

I've had the update for about a week. Yesterday the nav told me "The DVD is not a map disc." I took it out and cleaned it (there was a large fingerprint) and it worked again.

The maps seem to be typical factory nav - even the newest ones are 2 or 3 years out of date. At least around here, I've noticed more differences in the software than the maps. One thing I like is that the old software required you to put the car in park to do anything. With the new software all I have to do is stop. I now have a pleasant British lady guiding me instead of the more abrubt American voice from the 2004 disc and it also talks more. Instead of the usual warnings at a half mile to the turn, etc. I now also get "Turn left soon." That's still better than my BMW - a male voice demanding "In vun sousand sixty-three feet you VILL turn left!"

The new software seems to route better. I live on a road in a subdivision that is esssentially a big 3-mile loop. The north and south entrances connected by this road are about three hundred yards apart. I live one block from the north entrance, yet every time I started guidance at my house, or set my house as the destination, it would route me in the southern entrance and around the loop.

With the old software I could collapse the turn arrow window and it would only open when I approached the turn. Now it wanted to stay open all the time and I had to keep closing it until I discovered the new option to have it behave like the old disc. The keyboard is still in alphabetical order instead of QWERTY, which is really irritating.

You know, for as much as these systems cost I wonder why they lag so far behind dedicated GPS systems? Everything about them, from the way they display maps to the clunky interface is so 1990's. Google Nav on my Android phone is light years ahead of even the newest nav systems, like the $4,500 one in my sister-in-law's 2012 Lexus, and it was free! It looks like Cadillac is finally stepping up with their CUE system, but it seems like car companies fail to recognize opportunities when it comes to electronics. As soon as they started coming with Bluetooth connections the cars should have had the ability to update themselves.

The following users liked this post:
joeldietzjr (01-09-2015)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just received my nav DVD from iOffer seller. Popped it in...a few minutes of updating...and works flawlessly!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Another success story with the ioffer DVD. Great communication from the seller, fast shipping, very honest about the DVDs authenticity yet the product provided has a very authentic look. Upgraded from the 06-07 disc, some minor ui changes, logo screen has the newer logo and Larger. Didn't play with it enough to find other differences as I got home rather late.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered one of these last week. Outside of google wallet having some issues with Canada (which were easily resolved by the seller) it was an easy transaction. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival. Sounds like an easy process for updating. Stay tuned.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM

Very easy process. Turn the car on, go to the trunk, eject the old DVD and insert the new one, wait until the nav screen returns to normal.....took a few minutes and I had to turn the car off when it was done updating then back on for the AC controls to display.

The following users liked this post:
blkjag (08-16-2016)
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I would concur with above posters, I have just bought a UK disk from satnavi.com for £35 and it is working perfectly. Give them an email and they may be able to source North America disks?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM

£35 is pretty much the same price as the I offer disc. With a little driving on it now, many roads are now present that weren't and everything works beautifully. Couldn't be happier.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRont
I ordered one of these last week. Outside of google wallet having some issues with Canada (which were easily resolved by the seller) it was an easy transaction. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival. Sounds like an easy process for updating. Stay tuned.
Easy-peaty. As suggested I started the car, replaced the Nav DVD and waited a few minutes for the update. Quick and painless.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up iOffer disc works fine in 2004 XJR

I posted this on another thread, but I bought the $56 disc from iOffer and it works perfectly. Started the car, ejected the old disc, inserted the new, took it for a spin. Message tells you it's loading version xxx, don't turn off the ignition. Within 1 mile the Nav screen came up, new version and it works fantastically. I was skeptical, but took a chance and could not be more pleased. Wish every issue on these cars was so easily and inexpensively solved. May update the 07 XKR as well.

Dale

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine yesterday from ioffer and it works great! Couldn't be happier for 56 bucks :-)

Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav DVD Update

I just bought one online for $199.00. There is a coupon for free shipping if you Google Jaguar (your year and model) Nav Update.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasVP
So, I searched the forums (like a good noob should) and didn't find anything... I've been to the Jag site and they're selling a 2011-2012 map disc for $199. Now, since I just bought a lifetime of map updates for the Garmin on my motorcycle and thought that was a good value, it makes Jag's price for their newest map seem a little out of line. I know, I know, it's shocking that Jaguar pricing would be double the market norm...

So, I'm just curious, does anyone know of a source for reasonably priced maps for we Jagonistas?

I know some of you might be tempted to post a link to Rand-McNally's two dimensional map store so, if it makes ya feel better, go ahead

Cheers!
Vance
Pay close attention to ebay, you will find some great sources on there...but I will add that the 199.00 isnt bad when you compare to BMW and Audi...

Quick Reply: Updated nav map DVD sources?