XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Updated nav map DVD sources?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure if it's tied to the gear shift. I was on the screen trying to input an address and I think when I was sitting at a stoplight, it allowed me to enter the info without putting the lever in park. I'm wondering if the GPS senses movement, it won't allow the entry???

Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuikCat
I'm not sure if it's tied to the gear shift. I was on the screen trying to input an address and I think when I was sitting at a stoplight, it allowed me to enter the info without putting the lever in park. I'm wondering if the GPS senses movement, it won't allow the entry???
That's is interesting I will have to look at that on mine when I get back from vacation. So it could be a signal from GPS or speedo even. Going to pull up the electrical diagram again and check it out. When I get time. Thanks for that info.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

The original software in my 2004 XJR required the car to be in park. The new 2012 disc only requires me to stop. I'm sure it uses the VSS for this.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

with my old system disk, I had to be parked, but the new one allows me to put in a destination while driving. I have an idea there was a Setting on the screen, but I may be thinking of a different satnav.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default map update

I just asked my dealer about an upgrade as I currently have the 2011-2012 disc. He recommended waiting awhile (didn't know how long) for the 2013-2014 disc.
Frustrating, as I also just loaded the all new North American maps into my Garmin for free.
$200 for some year old maps needs to be rethought by Jaguar big guys...... Seems to me something the dealer should do for free every year at your annual service?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM

I am under the impression that Jaguar have stopped development and supply of disks, and the 2011 is the last there will ever be.

Now that we have moved into the 21st century, disks are a silly way to do updates. Burning disk updates off the 'net would be better than nothing.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't believe Jaguar has ever been in the business of developing the nav discs - certainly not in the last decade. Depending on the model/year of the car, that is done solely by companies like Desno or Navteq, who also provide nav discs to a number of other car manufacturers. I don't know if any Jag dealers still offer updated discs or not. It is kind of moot, as the dealers typically charged a healthy markup over what the same disc cost if purchased directly from the manufacturer, which is a fair bit more than what pirated copies sell for.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Received 58 Likes on 19 Posts

A quick check at NavTeq gives a redirect to GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com
Which puts you on a Jaguar website to purchase discs or USB download (depending on your car) Free shipping is the only difference I see and since I looked up my car a 2004 XJR they only offer 2011-2012 for 199. Oh well

Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Not to split hairs, but the page it took you to is still a Navteq page despite it showing official looking Jag logos. Navteq has a sub page for each manufacturer for which they produce nav discs. Given no other nav discs will work in your XJ system, they can charge whatever the market can bear.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PigletJohn
Now that we have moved into the 21st century, disks are a silly way to do updates. Burning disk updates off the 'net would be better than nothing.
You probably can't burn these disks, because they don't use the same encoding as a consumer DVD writer. Put one in your computer DVD bay--the computer will say no dvd has been inserted.

That's so no one can easily copy the disks, or just figure out the data format and burn map data from some other source in the right format and sell them, with no copyright infringement.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@Xeno, you can burn the disks just fine. These are regular DVD disks, nothing special or encoded about them. If you put the disk in a computer you will see a bunch of files on it and any functioning DVD-rom drive can read them with no problem.

Even the data format of the maps is published (Kiwi-W Consortium).

Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Xeno
You probably can't burn these disks, because they don't use the same encoding as a consumer DVD writer. Put one in your computer DVD bay--the computer will say no dvd has been inserted.

That's so no one can easily copy the disks, or just figure out the data format and burn map data from some other source in the right format and sell them, with no copyright infringement.
You need to save the disc as an ISO image, then burn the image. I keep my original disc in the house and only use copies in the car.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rhankey
I don't believe Jaguar has ever been in the business of developing the nav discs - certainly not in the last decade. Depending on the model/year of the car, that is done solely by companies like Desno or Navteq, who also provide nav discs to a number of other car manufacturers. I don't know if any Jag dealers still offer updated discs or not. It is kind of moot, as the dealers typically charged a healthy markup over what the same disc cost if purchased directly from the manufacturer, which is a fair bit more than what pirated copies sell for.
Don't forget, the disc not only has the maps, but the whole operating system for the touch screen and related systems. That's why you need a Jag-specific disc.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The "whole operating system" is actually a relatively small file called loading.kwi. The voice files are also not very standard but people do swap these around.

Denso makes these nav systems for a number for car manufacturers and they don't re-invent the wheel every time. They are not all compatible, but in the same generation of the system lots of the data is interchangeable. I have read about a disk from Cadillac CTS working on Jaguar XJ.

Sadly they are not may DVD based systems anymore, most new cars are hard disk or SD card based and these are much more difficult to read and pass around.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
@Xeno, you can burn the disks just fine. These are regular DVD disks, nothing special or encoded about them. If you put the disk in a computer you will see a bunch of files on it and any functioning DVD-rom drive can read them with no problem.

Even the data format of the maps is published (Kiwi-W Consortium).
Remarkable--anybody know a public-domain source of map data that could be converted to that format? I see OpenStreetMaps.

Turns out my DVD was bad.

Last edited by Xeno; 06-18-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Now there's an interesting idea!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Update Disc Compatible with both XJ/S and XK ?

I see many posts inquiring if this update disc works for XK series as well? I was shopping on E-Bay and noticed that Denso part numbers were different for the discs advertised as working on XK series, as opposed to discs designated for XJ/S/X Series. Has anyone tried using the discs in the various series to see if they are interchangeable?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

I am trying to pin down the solution of being able to change navigation routes, etc WHILE driving and not while parked or stopped. When I upgraded to the 2011-2012 Navigation Disk I did notice that naviagion could be changed while stopped with no need to put the car in park but to me that is not much benficial help. My wife does all of the route changes and it is frustrating not being able to make changed while in the car is on the go.

Here is my current disk as printed on the label
Navigation Disk 2011-2012
DENSO Part # 464110-9250
Jaguar Part # 1X43-10E898-BK
2011 DENSO Corporation
2011 NAVTEQ

I read on the UK forum that this restrction was removed in the UK in the 2011 - 2012 update.

UK Part number 1X43-10E898-AP (the last two letters are apparently the significant part as regards date, the last two letters are different also for the UK market vs the US market) is for UK 2011 – 2012 and allows entering data while the car is moving now. I have not heard if anyone tried to buy a UK disk to load into their USA car to allow the operating system to benefit from the UK change, and then to load in the US maps. My understanding of the Nav. system is that it will look for the newest operating system file and maps when a disc is loaded but will not rest the operating system file that is loaded into the Nav unit back to an older version. IIRC file restriction is region dependent and it is defined in the navigation software.

May people have tried to go into the Navigation software via pushing a sequecne of buttons that allows one into the Diagnostics menus, which I have also tried, but in the software diagniostic screens, there is no ability to get to the IIRC restriction setting that I am aware of.

PigletJohn, you said that your update now allowed you to change routes while driving but you did not quote what update version you did. Are you sure you can actually input a whole new route while driving so if you could double check and if it is true that you can actually change routes and set new destinations while driving, what is exactly printed on your navigation DVD so we know the version. You would be the first person in the USA including Jaguar mechanics that I heard to ever make this claim from a Navigation DVD update. So can you please re-test and let us know.

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 07-29-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Earlier this year I posted about updating my navigation maps to my 2002 X-type. Well I have a new XJR now and I used the same disc to update my GPS. It was a copy I found online for $50... I checked the old link and the website is down now. Do yall know of any other websites selling a copy? If you do, it will most likely work for you too!

Last edited by Hustle Hyde; 07-30-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 AM

"PigletJohn, you said that your update now allowed you to change routes while driving but you did not quote what update version you did. Are you sure you can actually input a whole new route while driving so if you could double check and if it is true that you can actually change routes and set new destinations while driving, what is exactly printed on your navigation DVD so we know the version. You would be the first person in the USA including Jaguar mechanics that I heard to ever make this claim from a Navigation DVD update. So can you please re-test and let us know. "

I am not in the US.

Yes, it is actually true.

Quick Reply: Updated nav map DVD sources?