XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Updated nav map DVD sources?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Update - still in the thick of it:

I have married the UK "loading.kwi" file from a 2011-2012 UK origional disk to the rest of the files of a 2011-2012 USA original disk. However, I am not getting a good burn as the Navigation unit is not recognzing the maps on the burned CD. I know the unit is picky. Has anyone been successful in making an exact copy of their origional disk and are using the copy in their car and keeping the origional as a back up? If so need to know exact burning software, settings, Dual Layer brand of disc. etc. My research on the Toyota forms indicated detailed steps to take but no dice for me so far. Once you can burn a successful copy than you know the burn of the married version would be a good disk.

Also, there is a matter of getting the navigation unit to read the new loading.kwi file. I have tried pulling the fuse method (which would be the same a pulling the positive cable off the battery) as all power is killed to the entire navigation system, but unlike in a Denso Toyota sytem, my XJ8 did not read the file. This can be because as I know it, another understanding is that the naviation unit has internal memory and keeps the last "loading.kwi" file in it permanate memory until one loads in the next newer naviagtion disk, at which time the navigation unit will automatically update the "loading.kwi" file into the navigation units permanate memory. My system was already updated to 2011-2012 USA and the UK disk is also 2011-2012. So the update my not happen naturally.

There may be a way to force the system to update "loading.kwi" file into its permanante memory but there may be risk from what I have researched. I have heard that a forced update can be done as this was posted once by a forum member:

Here a forum memeber was changing from Japanese DVD to an NZ DVD.
1. Turn the ignition on
2. Insert the Nav disc into the Navigation unit in the boot - if the Japanese one is in there you can get rid of it.
3. Turn the engine on (this is so your battery doesn't die mid-way through the software re-flash and brick your Navigation unit)
Press and hold the Menu button next to the touch screen display.
5. While holding the Menu button, press and hold the Phone button. Keep holding both buttons until a screen displays with a number pad requesting a 3 digit code.
6. Enter in the code "917" and press OK/Enter on the touchscreen.
7. Press the S/W Update button on the touchscreen in the lower right corner
8. Accept the next dialogs making sure you want to update the software (there are two dialogs)
9. Wait for the software to update. This can take 5 - 10 minutes, but just let it run until it is updated (took about 5 minutes in the XJ today)
10. The screen should re-start and go to the normal screen. Voila! Your Navigation unit is updated and you can use the NZ maps.

So at this point no dice.

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 01-04-2015 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lcmjaguar:
FRGIII2014 (01-05-2015), joeldietzjr (01-09-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

That's a good try. Thank you for giving an update. I'm cheering for you and wish you success.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

'04 XJR with original nav disc. Don't need to be able to add destination while driving, don't use nav much and not many new streets in my area so these are not a concern.
However, might be worth the minor $ to get more modern looking graphics/maps ? Is that a benefit of the newer discs ? Thx.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The updated NAC discs do not change the look of the graphics or the maps.

The following users liked this post:
ChilledJames (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

The new firmware let's you enter destinations by stopping - you no longer have to put the car in Park. That's the biggest improvement. It also modified the map zoom feature, where the direction/turn pane will expand as you approach a turn, then shrink back down. It also changes the logo screen from green to black.

ChilledJames (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcgann
The new firmware let's you enter destinations by stopping - you no longer have to put the car in Park. That's the biggest improvement. It also modified the map zoom feature, where the direction/turn pane will expand as you approach a turn, then shrink back down. It also changes the logo screen from green to black.

Apparently, the new issue of the system in the UK allows you to add destinations, including scrolling through lists, while the car is moving. He's trying to marry the UK software instructions/system updates with the US maps so that we can have that capability on our map upgrades.

With mine now - a 2008 version on the XJ, I can be at a stoplight and make changes, but as soon as I start moving, everything gets grayed out and nothing more can be added and scrolling becomes disabled. While I don't typically play with it while I'm moving, it would be a great benefit if my wife could input new addresses. As an example, if we're out shopping at antique stores, if we finish at one and want to find the next in the next town over, it would be great if she could find it on her phone and type it (or better yet, Bluetooth it in) to the car navigation system while I drive. I know that she can get it on her phone, but I like being able to see it on the nav system where I can see it better.

joeldietzjr (01-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM

The goal is to have on full on the go while driving navigation change abilities. The stop lights simply are not long enough to make changes because as soon as you go, everything gets grayed out and nothing more can be added and scrolling becomes disabled. It has been done in Denso systems that are in non Jaguar cars. Has anyone successfuly burned a copy of their Nav. disk and are successfully usng it in their Jaguar car as a back up copy?

Old 01-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 227 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar
The goal is to have on full on the go while driving navigation change abilities. The stop lights simply are not long enough to make changes because as soon as you go, everything gets grayed out and nothing more can be added and scrolling becomes disabled. It has been done in Denso systems that are in non Jaguar cars. Has anyone successfuly burned a copy of their Nav. disk and are successfully usng it in their Jaguar car as a back up copy?
I am using a burned dvd copy and it works fine.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by hafren
Reysl

Sorry for duplicate post - still learning how to attach an image

I think you may have the same problem I experienced. I was able to see the map but not add any destination address. In the trunk I could hear the dvd spinning/searching so thought it was likely not fully reading the disk. So I adjusted the laser sensitivity and now it works like a dream
I may have a bash at this, could you give info on the following please?

1. Clockwise or anti clockwise for the adjustment?
2. How far did you turn the screw to achieve the adjustment from the original setting?
3. Are there any markings on the screw or screw assembly to show where the original position is?
4. Is the Denso unit easy to extract and then open to gain access to the adjustment screw?
5. How did you know when you had adjusted to get the correct/ best laser reading?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 227 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
I may have a bash at this, could you give info on the following please?

1. Clockwise or anti clockwise for the adjustment?
2. How far did you turn the screw to achieve the adjustment from the original setting?
3. Are there any markings on the screw or screw assembly to show where the original position is?
4. Is the Denso unit easy to extract and then open to gain access to the adjustment screw?
5. How did you know when you had adjusted to get the correct/ best laser reading?

Thanks in advance.
I used the attached guide that helped me though it - comps to Sebastian and the UK jagforum site. In the end I adjusted mine 1/4 turn but it is a trial and error process. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attached Files
Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hafren
I am using a burned dvd copy and it works fine.
Same here...

Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,046 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Looks like I waited too long, the ioffer site only lists European discs now.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have Iso? Links to purchase no longer work. I would be happy to buy one from you if possible Thanks either way for the info. Jeff jadams19@comcast.net P.s. am coming to central Texas from Florida early next week could possibly pick up if near route so if you are willing to share just let me know where you are Thanks again Jeff 352-220-1350

Old 05-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lcmjaguar
Update - still in the thick of it:

Also, there is a matter of getting the navigation unit to read the new loading.kwi file. I have tried pulling the fuse method (which would be the same a pulling the positive cable off the battery) as all power is killed to the entire navigation system, but unlike in a Denso Toyota sytem, my XJ8 did not read the file. This can be because as I know it, another understanding is that the naviation unit has internal memory and keeps the last "loading.kwi" file in it permanate memory until one loads in the next newer naviagtion disk, at which time the navigation unit will automatically update the "loading.kwi" file into the navigation units permanate memory. My system was already updated to 2011-2012 USA and the UK disk is also 2011-2012. So the update my not happen naturally.

There may be a way to force the system to update "loading.kwi" file into its permanante memory but there may be risk from what I have researched. I have heard that a forced update can be done as this was posted once by a forum member:

So at this point no dice.[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
lcmjaguar,
assuming the above assessment is accurate, I am planning to get the UK disk and load it first then use the US disk to give it a try. However, I want to understand the "risk" you are mentioning. I really do not want to brick my nav. another thing is, I really want to get rid of the "agree" screen, it is more important for me to get rid of that then being able to enter info while driving. Is it still there with the 2012 US disk?

Old 05-02-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by jeffatoms
Do you still have Iso? Links to purchase no longer work. I would be happy to buy one from you if possible Thanks either way for the info. Jeff jadams19@comcast.net P.s. am coming to central Texas from Florida early next week could possibly pick up if near route so if you are willing to share just let me know where you are Thanks again Jeff 352-220-1350
Jeff, the 2012 disk is available on torrent. I downloaded it but did not try it yet.
fyi.

jeffatoms (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Cergun, I have not been able to get a good burn. I even had a computer repair store burn my origional DVD to establish a good burn but unfortunately it works speratically meaning sometimes the nav behaves very slowly like it is having difficulty efficiently retrieving information from the disk and other times it will start out saying "it is not a map dvd". Therefore I have not been able to take it to the next level of using the UK "loading.kwi" file. I did still burn a DVD replacing the the "loading.kwi" file and know that the NAV system did not replace the file into memory. But because the DVD is not stable, I did not try to force a NAV system reset to pull the file into memory.

As a general rule, if one is upgrading to a newer DVD, the NAV system will automatically recognize that the newer DVD has an updated "loading.kwi" file and will automatically replace it on first load. Since my NAV system is using the 2012 disk and I am trying to use a 2012 UK disk file, the system will not automatically upgrade that "loading.kwi" into memory, thus a forced reset may be required and this is where the risk is.

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 05-02-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Does the loading.kwi creation date have to be newer for the system to automatically import the new data into memory? Maybe these ones that have been copied have different properties and attributes that the system is checking and rejecting?

Just throwing this out there for clarification?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cergun
Jeff, the 2012 disk is available on torrent. I downloaded it but did not try it yet.
fyi.
can you provide the torrent info I can not find it. Thanks for your response Jeff

Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 PM

Jeff, can you try this and let me know if it works?

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8575...ION_UPDATE_DVD

jeffatoms (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 12:01 AM

Cergun,

Yes, with the 2012 NAV disk, the "agree" screen, is still there on USA disk, not sure on the UK disk.

Quick Reply: Updated nav map DVD sources?