XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Upgrade Maps, a different approach?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts
Default Upgrade Maps, a different approach?

OK so my Dad always said there's no such thing as a stupid question....just stupid people asking questions.

With that in mind, I no longer have the X350 so I can't experiment.

Is it possible to purchase a Nav DVD from another vehicle, open it on the computer in raw form or maybe ISO format, then swap map files out of the folders?

My assumption and premise is the language (code) they're written in is the same.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Anything is possible but I dont think anyone has spent the time to do it

At the end of the day I think your better off with a new system
I run Igo maps on android which is a much better and you can customize the interface
I think your time is better spent there but just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
34by151

Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

DENSO branded map discs for Toyota/Lexus work but not very well.

There are some Jaguar-specific files missing from the discs. I made up my own disc by copying those files from the Jag disc to a new one using the updated Toyota/Lexus maps, it worked for a little while, but in the end I went back to an original disc.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-model-111242/

The biggest problem is that burnt disc simply do not last very long in a navigation DVD application, this is why the original discs are pressed ones, they cannot be burnt out by long-term use.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-29-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
The biggest problem is that burnt disc simply do not last very long in a navigation DVD application, this is why the original discs are pressed ones, they cannot be burnt out by long-term use.
Are you sure? Should backup my burnt disc version just in case??

Old 05-29-2016, 05:14 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I've been down the road of copied discs, burnt discs, tried them all. Had them last up to a year, the worst one failed within 2 weeks.

When it comes to nav discs, you really to get what you paid for...

Here's a cut/paste of what I said last time...

-----------------------------------------------

The map DVD's need to be good quality, because whenever the car's ignition is on, the disc is spinning and the laser is reading the disc. The discs get very hot.

The genuine nav discs are pressed, the pirate copies are burned. There is a major difference between them.

Pressed discs are produced mechanically, they are literally stamped off a master, whereas burned discs are produced chemically. A chemical dye on the blank disc gets burnt by the laser as the data is written onto the disc. This is why blank discs are a purple colour, and after you've written to them they change to silver.

Some examples here

Whats the difference between a Pressed DVD and a burned DVD

Pressed vs burned DVD longevity - Optical Media - Storage

difference between commercial and home-burned DVDs - Doom9's Forum

Long story short, your "burned" DVD map discs will not last very long. Some blank/writeable DVD's are better quality than others, but even still, they are never as good as the original pressed discs.

I have 1st hand experience of this. Even copies burnt on the most expensive DVD-R discs only last a few months. Whereas the original pressed discs last pretty much forever.

The final, perhaps more costly aspect. It has been known for copied discs to corrupt the navigation system, or even worse, to burn out the laser reader.

Corruption due to imperfect duplication of the original disc. Especially if the disc has software updates on it to upgrade your unit.

The case of the laser burning out is because it has to run at a higher power level to read the burnt disc, which it was not designed to do, since it was only ever intended to read pressed discs. The irony of this is that the higher the power the laser runs at, the faster it destroys the burned disc.

Pay your money and take your chances. I have gone back to using an original disc in mine, even if it is a bit out of date...

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I have been using a single burned disc for over 4 years now. I guess YMMV.