XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Upgrade from X-type to XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade from X-type to XJR?

Hello Everyone,

I have been posting on the X-type section. I own a 2002 X-type 2.5 liter with 80,000 miles. I love this car but I have been having too many problems with it. Recently the Transfer case gave out and left me stranded on the highway. I am always worried about the weak transmission even though it was replaced at 40,000 miles by the dealer. My question to you guys is that I want to replace it with possibly XJR but am I moving into another unreliable car? Are the XJR's more reliable than the X-types? what should I look for when shopping for one? THanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade from X-type to XJR?

Something that could be helpful for you hanky is texascarsdirect.com...they've got some mint jags with great prices, low miles and factory jag warranty.

BTW sorry to hear of all the problems with the x-type. You pretty much had problems from the get-go didn't you?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 PM

hey aquil. a familiar name from the x-type section. pretty much I started with the air mass flow sensor, oxygen sensor, bad fuel pump, now the transfer case. getting worse each time. just tired of the headaches and I heard the XJR's are more reliable? just testing the waters and doing some research 1st before I buy another jaguar.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

I promise you that as long as you look into the car get it looked at you'll be fine. Fortunately for me I didn't really have too many problems with mine. I bought it with 54k miles form a gmc dealer and the worst problem I had was the battery which was also the most expensive. I had small stupid problems/quirks but all in all it wasn't that bad. With the problems you had try to get one under select edition or the initial warranty. How much do you think you are going to spend? Also have you ever looked into the s-type R? If you are fine with the x-type's size the s-type is a bit bigger and is just as nice IMO as the xjr. I love both the str and the xjr though don't get me wrong. I want the super 8 as well!

I don't know too many specifics about the xj's but I'm pretty sure the newer xj's are supposed to be pretty nice reliable cars.

Do you have to replace the transfer case NOW or can you wait?

Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 AM

i guess, I you are one of the luckier ones with not too many problems. But from what I understand, the transfer case, torque convertor, and the transmission are weak components of my 02 x-type. I am glad my transmission is still good butdon't have much confidence. I wish I could wait to fix my transfer case but the car will not move at all!

Old 10-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

**** YEAH YOU SHOULD UPGRADE! lol and a big upgrade it is at that. S type would also be a good candidate from you if you arent 100% sure, what models and engine choices have you driven and how did you like them? whats your budget like if you dont mind me asking? you might be 99% satisfied with a jump to an S and have a lot more free money for now and upgrade to an XJ later on.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: hankycbr

i guess, I you are one of the luckier ones with not too many problems. But from what I understand, the transfer case, torque convertor, and the transmission are weak components of my 02 x-type. I am glad my transmission is still good butdon't have much confidence. I wish I could wait to fix my transfer case but the car will not move at all!
See that's funny because I was waiting for something to happen the entire time. Fortunately for me nothing happened other then quirks. I put my jag through quite a bit and never really gave it an easy time. I even managed to get it buried in snow a couple of times and did what I shouldn't have done to get it out. You should surely have less problems with the rear wheel drive stuff from jag. As bmw and I already stated look into the s-type r as you can get 2006 STR's for around 25k.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

I think you would even say wow to a regular V8 s type

they have a real sharp 05 R on ebay right now same color combo as mine but with graphite painted wheels, looks pretty sharp only 11k miles looks brand new and has a year left on warranty(plus you can extend it until 2011)

http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ebaymotors/ws...m=350102182337

Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 PM

I thought about the S-type but I am still in love with the "classic" jaguar look. I won't rule out the S-type. I just did not have any time to test drive either of the cars. I always thought my x-type was low on power, not sure if its because I had the 2.5 liter. Never drove the 3.0 liter. I guess my 1st priority would be reliability than looks. I just lost complete confidence in my X-type.

My budget is around 10,000 to 15,000 but lower the better at this point. but you guys made a great point. I should test drive each model 1st and get a feel for the car.

Do you guys have to worry about the transmission failing on either the S-type or the XJ? I don't think the S or the XJ has AWD? Am I wrong?

Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

You're right neither have AWD, but unless youre in the serious white stuff i wouldnt worry...and if its that serious you prob want a 4 wheel drive suv for those times lol

For your budget you should def look at 03 and up s types, since you have the 2.5 you would prob be impressed with the 3.0 s type since it has a totally diff transmission( same as the rest of the s types 03 and up and the XJR/8s 04 and up) it moves really nice for a 6 cyl, im driving one right now while my R is in for service.

The transmissions are relatively very reliable, esp compared to the X types from what ive heard...for your budget though you are considering a pre 2004 XJR so im not sure about that unit

Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

heres an 05 with low miles, optional heated seats, and the 18" triton wheels which really set it off...someone has a deposit on in but about half the time there they change their mind

http://texascarsdirect.com/PublicWeb...l.aspx?id=4155

Old 10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I linked him to texascarsdirect. They've got the best deals. The other day they had an 06 str on there with like 30-40k miles (kind of high) but the price was like 25k or something like that. It was flawless plus it had the nicer wheels, I forget what they are called off-hand. Looked great with the two-tone leather.

You probably wouldn't have any problems with a newer x-type. The 2.5 from what I've heard is lackluster and the 3.0 I guess is quite a bit better. You could always try a manual x-type with 3.0 which would be really fun!

I'm pretty sure also that pre-2004 xjrs and xj's had problems with the motor. I think it had something to do with the timing chain or something but I could be mistaken. If someone would like to clear it up that would be nice but it looks like bmw745 and I are the only one's that wish to speak to you on the matter, and we almost don't count as we don't really own the car your looking at. He does obviously own the str and I want one so we could help you out in that regard!

Your best bet would be to email FJT directly and ask him some questions about possible candidates for your car. I noticed he hasn't been on here in a while but emailing him I'm sure he'd respond.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I believe what you are referring to is the timing chain tensioners for the 4.0 liter engine. They had plastic components that would eventually crack and allow the timing chain to move causing engine damage. I have had the upper and lower tensioners on my 01 XKR replaced with the new metal ones and that clears up the issue with the 4.0 engine. The main issue has been with the upper tensioners, but to be safe I had the upper and lower ones replaced. The tensioners for the 4.2 liter engine are all metal. Jaguar learned a lesson.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks george,
And it happened to quite a few didn't it? I imagine the 4.0 supercharged engines had these problems as well correct?

If I were you hanky, I'd suggest looking at the 2004 and newer xj's or the s-type. Otherwise you might want to wait til you can afford a little newer xjr.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Hey thanks for the great links. wow, they have some really good deals. I will have to test drive the S-type and the XJ see which one I like better. I will keep you guys posted. I'm still waiting for my car to be fixed!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fancypants

I got my 05 XJR from this guy: www.azjags.com
They certainly have a nice inventory and great prices...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

What I'd like to know is what is the warranty through azjags? Most of the texascarsdirect are under jaguar warranty. Az states that it's serviceable up to 150k miles and 5 years on some of the cars, is the warranty directly through jag or is it 3rd party? I have a warranty for my mountaineer that sucks because they have check the problems out and if they have to tear something apart I might have to flip the bill as it may/may not be covered...which sucks![:@] Although I've already had over 700 in repairs and I'm pretty sure my tranny is messing up...

The part that sucked was the dealer puts you on the back shelf with these warranties as there is no guarantee for them. I've learned my lesson for these type's of warranties from now on.

I want the 03 rover that guy has! Nearly 19k isn't bad imo although the mileage is high...