XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Valley hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 07:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Valley hose

Are there 2 different valley hoses in the 05 XJR???

Old 10-29-2023, 04:12 PM
Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Your 05 XJR should still be the same design as my SV8 MY2004, so there should be only one. Two hoses underneath the supercharger only came later.

If your car has the hose circled in red in the following picture, then you only have one hose underneath the supercharger:

The design of the hose was changed, though.
I had taken the following picture while replacing the hose on my SV8. On the left the new design, on the right the old hose:

Best regards,

Thomas

The following users liked this post:
Tigre (10-29-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 06:54 PM
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
Your 05 XJR should still be the same design as my SV8 MY2004, so there should be only one. Two hoses underneath the supercharger only came later.

If your car has the hose circled in red in the following picture, then you only have one hose underneath the supercharger:

The design of the hose was changed, though.
I had taken the following picture while replacing the hose on my SV8. On the left the new design, on the right the old hose:

Best regards,

Thomas
Hi Thomas,
I was interested to see your photos. I think there is more to the story, however.
Your hose comparison is correct and I found the same when I replaced my valley hoses. However, that hose is the one that goes under the supercharger on the left side of the valley (facing forward). It is the return hose from the throttle body. The only change has been to make it a one-piece construction.
The hose you point out in your other photo is the water supply hose to the EGR valve. This is the hose that on my car and all the photos I can find, is routed from the thermostat water rail, under the supercharger to the rear of the valley. The hose I have has a large diameter (ID about 20mm) which then reduces to about 10mm half way along. I have found a picture of the hose you show in your previous posting which looks like AJ88507. This has been superseded by AJ811767 which is what I ordered.
The parts currently available seem to point to the right hand (supply) hose being connected to the water rail fitting pointing at 45 degrees to the right, the rear and down. This allows it to naturally sit to the right side of the valley floor, and then rise to meet the EGR at the right rear of the valley. With the thickness of the AJ811767 hose, it would be very difficult to make it sit above the supercharger on the right side of the valley.
The supply hose on both the S-Type R and the X350/8 have the same history of modifications with several part numbers being superseded. The S-Type R only just precedes the X350, being announced in 2002.
I did find, that on the JLR Classic parts page, the 'photograph' of AJ811767 is misleading. However, it that number is searched for, what appears shows both the 'photograph' and a 'technical drawing' available. The technical drawing is quite different and much more representative of the correct part. Photos of both these pages are shown below, as are more explanatory pics. Kind regards, Thomas!

Outlet (L) and return (R) as fitted to engine

JLR parts book Outlet hose #17 original

JLR parts book tech drawing Outlet hose #2

Hoses as now supplied fitted to valley

Very early Outlet hose AJ88507

Where Outlet hose attaches to water rail

Valley hose placement for latest hoses

To the original poster, Stosh1017, there are a number of excellent threads and guides on this forum. The foremost is titled "Into the Valley" and deserves the highest praise. Jagrepair.com has a very good series on this for the S-Type R, which is nearly identical to our cars on this matter.
Let us know how you are getting on. Many of us have been through this "valley", and the rewards of success are great!

Pete M

Old 10-31-2023, 02:44 AM
Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Hi Pete,
we already talked about these hoses in another thread last week (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ojects-274418/), and there I told about my assumption about the change in the routing of these hoses and that the hose that you mention here is not to be found in cars built before 2007 (I think it was this year).

That's also why my first reply starts with "Your 05 XJR should still be the same design as my SV8 MY2004, so there should be only one. Two hoses underneath the supercharger only came later."

The thread you mention, "Into the Valley" should be this one
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...valley-134108/
and I concur, it is excellent and also was one of the threads I based the work on my car on. If you look into it, you will see that also in this thread there is only ONE hose underneath the SC, as shown in a picture.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 11-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
Hi Pete,
we already talked about these hoses in another thread last week (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ojects-274418/), and there I told about my assumption about the change in the routing of these hoses and that the hose that you mention here is not to be found in cars built before 2007 (I think it was this year).

That's also why my first reply starts with "Your 05 XJR should still be the same design as my SV8 MY2004, so there should be only one. Two hoses underneath the supercharger only came later."

The thread you mention, "Into the Valley" should be this one
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...valley-134108/
and I concur, it is excellent and also was one of the threads I based the work on my car on. If you look into it, you will see that also in this thread there is only ONE hose underneath the SC, as shown in a picture.

Best regards,

Thomas
Hi Thomas, thanks for your input. I'm sure that with the information we have given the original poster, he will be able to sort it out. I hope he posts the pictures of his work in progress.

Kind regards
Pete M