XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Valuation Thoughts -- Looking for community input

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 03:40 PM
Received 165 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Valuation Thoughts -- Looking for community input

Hi, all,
I love working on the jaguars, but the work on both the Super V8 and XJR are done. I've enjoyed both, and it's time to free up the garage space. The are awesome cars, and I'll admit I'm not 100% committed yet to selling the Super V8, but I will be listing the XJR in the next few weeks.

How should I think about valuation on these after the inflationary price increases in the used car market in the last 3 years, and at what range do folks think I should list them?

First, the details:
2005 XJ Super V8
  • Silver on black
  • I have >100 hours into this car, it's fantastic.
  • around 150k miles but due to the investment in systems below, in many way's it's almost new.
  • work done in the last 2.5 years and since I got the car with ~142k miles includes:
    • head gaskets replaced
    • valve job and heads refreshed
    • high stall speed torque converter
    • Quaife limited slip differential (omg, they should have come from the factory this way)
    • transmission rebuild by Level 10 in New Jersey
    • all 10 control arms and their bushings have been replaced (front A arms, radius arms and lower arms, rear lower and upper arms) and front sway bar bushings
    • new front wheel bearings
    • new inner and outer tie rods (front) and new tie rods (rear)
    • new pads and rotors all 4 corners including parking pads
    • new fluids all around
    • new radiator
    • new transmission cooler lines
    • rear camera, displays through nav when reverse
    • air suspension in great working order
    • has hard to find details like front bumper with headlight washers and parking sensors
    • new AC compressor, steering pump, starter and newer alternator
    • exterior and interior are in good condition
2005 XJR
  • Silver on black
  • 97k miles
  • New transmission cooler lines, new sunroof mechanism, new rotors and pads all 4 corners including parking brakes
  • New front radius control arms
  • New front outer tie rods
  • New rear tie rods
  • New headliner
  • Exterior condition is fair, interior is good.
So how do people think I should approach pricing?

2005 Super V8
  • This one is hard to value for me, I have invested a lot of time into this car. To me it feels like a $20,000 car, but that would require a buyer who fully understands the refreshments it has received. I'm willing to invest time in the sale, but if I do sell it I don't want it to sit for months. Or perhaps an approach is to launch a no-reserve eBay auction at $12k and see what happens?
2005 XJR
  • This car was going to be a 4-week flip that... 9 months in I still have. I'm more interested in a faster sale here.
  • I see X350 XJRs these listed for $8.5k to $14.5 on eBay. I'm thinking $6.5k for a faster sale? It runs and drives great, but it hasn't had every system refreshed like the Super V8.
Thanks in advance for you thoughts,
- scooter

Old 06-05-2023, 09:56 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Valuation

Originally Posted by scooterforever
Hi, all,
I love working on the jaguars, but the work on both the Super V8 and XJR are done. I've enjoyed both, and it's time to free up the garage space. The are awesome cars, and I'll admit I'm not 100% committed yet to selling the Super V8, but I will be listing the XJR in the next few weeks.

How should I think about valuation on these after the inflationary price increases in the used car market in the last 3 years, and at what range do folks think I should list them?
- scooter
I think you are pretty much on the money in both cases. It is unfortunate that most won't see the value in what you've done, especially to the SV8. Sounds like someone is going to get some great cars. But, what next? It would be very difficult to find a replacement for the SV8. With what you've done to it, it's pretty much the perfect car. This is a question I've been asking myself, sorta in the same boat. I have an 04 XJR and an 09 SV8 and wondering if I should sell one or both. But, what to replace them with? Don't know.
But, in your case, I believe you are right on the valuation of both cars. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
scooterforever (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 12:39 PM
Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

As a prospective buyer (I'm kinda starting to maybe look at buying a nice XJR/Super) here is my input:

The Super V8 is attractive to me because of all of the work that you put into it, but the mileage scares me a little bit. I'd probably be interested at under 10K. 20K, no way.

The XJR has better miles and enough work has been done to make it a good purchase, I think. I wonder at the "outside is fair" comment, and just how bad it is. 6.5K is probably a good price, and it should go fast, unless the paint is really bad or dented or peeling or whatever is wrong with it. In that price range, the condition of tires is probably important to the buyer as well.

I presume that both cars are good enough and that everything works so that they'd pass a PPI with nothing major found.

I'd be more interested in either of these except that silver is my least favorite color on a car. If the Super was in exceptional cosmetic condition, then I would be willing to overlook my dislike of the color.

That's just my opinion and it's worth nearly twice what you paid for it.

Best of luck. PM me when you decide for sure what you're going to do.

Regards,
Michael

The following users liked this post:
scooterforever (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 04:09 PM
Received 165 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input, via PMs too, this is all very helpful. Michael, you've helped me make up my mind on one question I had on the XJR -- do I fix the cosmetic issues, namely the roughest spot is a 'triple scrape and metal fold' in a rear door. I've just decided I'll invest in a new door, there's one not far from me, so when you see this listed I'll be able to upgrade the exterior condition.

Luv2Fly, I hear you on the color. it's got to be the right color choice for the individual, otherwise something will just always feel off or not quite right. I had a Volvo S60R with tan interior and I found I was always longing for the orange pumpkin interior (the legendary Volvo Atacama...). Color choice isn't anything but it is important.

Thanks again, and I'll keep the thread posted with developments.