XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

VDP vs vintage Rolls Royce

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VDP vs vintage Rolls Royce

Hello again. I was again browsing info and pictures of one of my all-time favorite cars: late 70's / early 80's Rolls Royce Silver Spirit and realized that my '05 Vanden Plas has probably all the things I love about the Silver Spirit: timeless british styling, b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l leather interior, wood accents, a degree of exclusivity, and an aura of class. Since we're talking about 30 years of technology, my VDP also has things the RR does not have: traction control, airbags, almost double the horsepower, much greater reliability, better suspension, fuel economy, etc.
I had for years hoped to own a late 70's Silver Spirit (in reality, probably would not have) but with now owning the Jaguar, it would pretty much be a step backwards. Still very glad I moved on the Jaguar.
Just an observation.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Your satisfaction counts since you're happy with your Jag no problem at all
In 1970's none of Jags (may be none of rides) came with traction control , bluetooth and gadgets as today's cars .

Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Forget speedy repairs and regular part prices if you had the Rolls Royce. Not to mention it would drive very antiquated by today's standards.

My British repair shop has talked me out of an 80's Bentley many times.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

First you would be in a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow in the 70s. Spur/Spirit series started in 1980. As a recent previous owner of a 1988 Silver Spur and my current Jaguars, I will say that the Rolls Royce got much more attention just because it was a Rolls Royce. It was a great highway cruiser, but terrible on the twisties. You couldn't beat it for interstate cruising. The Jaguars are newer so it is a natural progress of technology that gives them more features and they are built for sport and comfort. Loved the Rolls for what it was. Love my Jags!!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could you tell us more about the RR's highway manners. Such as, how quiet is the ride, and wind noise etc. How did it handle bridges and rough spots. Very curious about these machines which show up on eBay and really look cool but a bit cobby on the inside.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, what kind of car is this to live with on a daily basis? I have always wanted a 1990 or so Bently turbo R, but I am leery of the reliability and driveability of these models.Do you think you could expound on your ownership experience a little for me ? Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
First you would be in a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow in the 70s. Spur/Spirit series started in 1980. As a recent previous owner of a 1988 Silver Spur and my current Jaguars, I will say that the Rolls Royce got much more attention just because it was a Rolls Royce. It was a great highway cruiser, but terrible on the twisties. You couldn't beat it for interstate cruising. The Jaguars are newer so it is a natural progress of technology that gives them more features and they are built for sport and comfort. Loved the Rolls for what it was. Love my Jags!!
Hlgeorge you're exactly right; I should have said Silver Shadow. I should turn in my British heritage card for that faux-pas. I would echo the questions above - curious what it's like to own one. I would likely never own one. I work for an investment company in a fairly rural area & have already heard comments about the VDP. A Rolls Royce in this area would likely trigger a police investigation. : ) achingly beautiful cars. I simply tell people that I paid about half of what they paid for their new turbo diesel pickup.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The Shadow series is very problem prone, but in good shape is a great boulevard cruiser. If you are looking in the Spur/Spirit series, the 1987 1/2 - 1989 (known as the 20,000 series) seem to be the best for reliability. There were a lot of improvements for those years and before the problematic computer controlled suspension. The Bentleys have a more have a stiffer ride, as they were sort of RR's sport division. The turbo's are even stiffer, but they do "get up and go". I know that in my 88 Spur, cruising down the freeway was the most comfortable ride I have ever experienced. Just remember these cars are not miracle cars. The are big heavy over engineered land yachts. They can be expensive to own if you get one that has not been taken car of. One in good shape that has had regular maintenance is very reliable. A neglected car is a money pit. But that's in most any car.