XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Vehicle settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Vehicle settings

On my '04 XJR I have three options I can set through the nav screen: double/single locking, autofold mirrors, and DRL. I saw a thread somewhere that said there are actually 15 or 16 items that can be set, but only those three can be done without taking it to the dealer. If true, I imagine that when you first bought the car the dealer would set it up the way you liked it. Given that the original owner had the three settings I can adjust exactly backwards to the way I wanted them, does anyone know what the other settings are?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to know also..!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM

I read in another thread that one of the dealer settings is an audible chirp when the alarm arms. That's an option I'd choose so I wouldn't have to watch to see if the lights flash. My understanding is the chirp is from the same horn that you get when you try to lock the cars without all the doors closed.

I wonder if that might be another option? Every other car I've had allows you to set the alarm with a door open, and it arms when the door closes. This is handy if you have your hands full - you can lock the car, put the key in your pocket, pick up your bags and nudge the door closed. My BMW would reward me with it's "Wheee!" alarm confirmation. With the Jag I have to keep the key my hand and fumble to lock it while carrying 8 bags of groceries. Then I can't just lock it from inside the house because I have to be able to see it to know if it locked.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 8,134 Likes on 4,908 Posts

I have related this before but when I was performing a PDI at the dealer I would contact the salesman on the showroom floor about configuring a SOLD unit. I told the salesguy to bring the customer into the shop to go over the options to be configured.

I did this because so many times the customer would take possession of the car and THEN read the manual to discover all the things the car was capable of.

They would come back and we would have to reconfigure the vehicle for things like 'mirror dip in reverse' or 'audible chirp on second button press' or 'global remote opening' etc.

The service dept does NOT like doing things for the sales dept FOR FREE (it's a money thing).
Each department wants to charge the other department for services rendered (internal budgets).

Someone (independent shop or the dealer) with WDS or IDS can enable/disable many features that come with a certain car. Different models come with different features.

There is a list of members with WDS/IDS somewhere on the forum.
See if someone in your area has this or contact the dealer and ask if you can look over the shoulder of the mechanic to pick-and-choose the things you want to keep and the ones you want disabled.

Some techs and service advisers are OK with this and some are just A$$h0l3s!!!!!!!!!!

If you are in the DFW area of Texas and want to enable/disable stuff on the car let me know and we can set up a time.

I can do this on OBDII Jaguars to 2006.

Someone (sorry I don't remember who) posted a list of 'programmable features' on the forum.

It came from a student guide and I don't know if I have this in one of my guides or from an instructor as a paper 'handout'.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ControlModuleProgramming.pdf (857.3 KB, 290 views)
The following users liked this post:
gmcgann (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM

This looks exactly like what I was looking for. Now I've just got to figure out what some of them are. Do you know what a dealer charges to set all these up?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Clearly there is no charge for hardware or anything, it's just labour time. I would have thought 30 minutes should cover it. FWIW I was charged 30 mins for a TCM reflash. Independent shops with the equipment usually charge less per hour than Jaguar main agents