XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

vehicle too low - any way to check PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default vehicle too low - any way to check PSI?

Last Sunday, which was a little cooler than usual, my wife was preparing to head for her church and got a "vehicle too low" fault and came back in to ask what she should do. I restarted the engine and I drove the SV8 around our loop road and the fault remained so she took a different car. later in the day (and warmer) I started it and the VTL fault did not appear.

About half the times I drive it, I get an "air suspension fault" message after driving awhile, but I haven't yet gotten the software for my Mongoose to work so I can't check the body or chassis codes. When I have checked the ride height, it is within spec for all wheels. The front air shocks are relatively new Arnott units and the rear shocks are probably OEM but I don't know for sure.

So... Is it likely I am in need of a new piston ring from bagpipingandy before the weather turns cooler? Is there any easy way to check the pressure in the air suspension system to see if it is reaching the 220 PSI required?

Old 10-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

The o ring kit would be my first choice for sure. The process of carrying out the oring change is well documented.
Then be watchful for the 30f weather because that's when you find out the rubber grommets are shrinking and you get the dreaded faults.
Then its time to do all the connections and checks for leaks everywhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by trosty:
Don B (10-22-2015), philwarner (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by trosty
The o ring kit would be my first choice for sure. The process of carrying out the oring change is well documented.
Then be watchful for the 30f weather because that's when you find out the rubber grommets are shrinking and you get the dreaded faults.
Then its time to do all the connections and checks for leaks everywhere.
I watched bagpipingandy's installation video and this retired engineer with a machine shop background thought it was excellently done. I checked all the gages available on my Ultragage for the SV8 and unfortunately air suspension pressure is not one of them. Guess I need to order the kit as a preventive measure anyway with this car approaching 130K miles. Since there are no service records I don't know if the compressor was ever replaced.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Having read the many many posts on the subject, discussing with Andy more than a few times, I too would say this would be your first and probably cheapest option as a starting point.

Good luck and hope to hear

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 13,085 Likes on 6,518 Posts

Phil,

+2 on trosty's and Jim's advice. At 130K you definitely need to replace the compressor piston ring seal with bagpipingandy's kit. In addition to Andy's video, I have a phototutorial specifically for the X350 in my photo albums at the link in my signature.

The O-rings on the air hose fittings should be checked by spritzing them with soapy water, taking care not to get water on the electrical connector for the CATS solenoids on the tops of the shocks or the pressure sensor on the valve block. On our '04, I have tracked down the cold weather leak to the front right air spring top seal, which is not replaceable, but replacing the compressor piston ring has mostly eliminated the Vehicle Too Low problem.

Cheers,

Don

philwarner (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Phil,

+2 on trosty's and Jim's advice. At 130K you definitely need to replace the compressor piston ring seal with bagpipingandy's kit. In addition to Andy's video, I have a phototutorial specifically for the X350 in my photo albums at the link in my signature.

The O-rings on the air hose fittings should be checked by spritzing them with soapy water, taking care not to get water on the electrical connector for the CATS solenoids on the tops of the shocks or the pressure sensor on the valve block. On our '04, I have tracked down the cold weather leak to the front right air spring top seal, which is not replaceable, but replacing the compressor piston ring has mostly eliminated the Vehicle Too Low problem. Cheers, Don
Thanks guys, I just ordered Andy's kit and will look up the installation thread here as well as review Andy's excellent video again. I hope removing the bumper cover is not as hard as changing the front stabilizer bar bushings.

BTW, I received my eBay 2003 S-type used engine cover today and it went right on the SV8. Whew! One more thing checked off the list.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,249 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Hey Phil. You might give this a try from a very generous forum member.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-loan-126934/

Don B (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 13,085 Likes on 6,518 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
Thanks guys, I just ordered Andy's kit and will look up the installation thread here as well as review Andy's excellent video again. I hope removing the bumper cover is not as hard as changing the front stabilizer bar bushings..

Phil,

You don't have to remove the front bumper cover to access the air compressor. You access it from below, so you just remove the plastic splash cover along the bottom of the bumper.

Here are the links to my photos. Most folks don't replace the dessicant in the air dryer like I did, but since mhamilton has some leftover dessicant beads that he's making available cheap you might want to consider it since you should open the air dryer to check for corrosion anyway.

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

Sean W (10-23-2015)