XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Very slow leak shows reveals another problem !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts
Default Very slow leak shows reveals another problem !

For several weeks now, I have been having a slow loss of pressure in the nearside rear tyre.
So last Monday, I finally got around to getting it seen to. In the XJK workshop soapy water was sprayed around and it seemed OK, However a close look showed very tiny air bubbles on the inside rim. Yes, there was the leak !
However near the leak was a prominent dent in the rim ! Anyway the tyre was resealed to the rim, and I then asked for the other rims to be checked as the car was up in the air, so a good opportunity. Yes, another dented rim !
Clearly I have gone over a bad pothole but I can't put my finger on it. Anyway, I managed to find two 18" Tucana wheels on eBay for a reasonable price so all should be well by next week.

Apparently the wheels dent on the inside as that is where there is no support from the spokes. Very logical when you think about it. I would really love to get back the the 15"c wheels and 70 profile tyres I had on my old 1980 XJ6. Now that was real ride comfort, and wheel damage was very rare in those days too.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Thank you for reporting.
With 20" Callisto's, I am always scared by potholes.
I bought my car with 255/40R20 tyres mounted on the rims and appreciate the ride and additional margin provided by a higher rubber to cope with possible potholes.
I was always wondering about the issue you raise because of the very structure of wheels. Indeed, it looks normal that the inner side be weaker than the outside and that small dents may appear there, sometimes unnnoticed, with worrying consequences.
Good to check from time to time.