XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Very slow service on keys

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Very slow service on keys

After I got my '06 XJ8L recently, I went down to the nearest dealer (Hartford CT) to get a spare key and fob, and also a valet key. I expected to get financially hosed, and I was. But that's not the main point of this thread.

The keys were ordered on 4/19, and were supposed to be in, in a "few days." Well, time has dragged on....

"A few days" came and went. I was eventually told that the ONLY place in the US where Jaguar keys could be made, was somewhere in Pennsylvania. And that their key-cutting machine was broken and waiting for parts. And that therefore my order had been bucked over to the UK. Now, as of 5/9 the keys have supposedly been cut in Jolly Olde England, and are en route back to the US. Delivery "in a few more days."

Is it really possible that there is only ONE place in the entire continental US that can cut these keys? I am a bit skeptical !

Old 05-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Boomer From Boston,

My Spare key was cut by Jaguar Land Rover of Cincinnati. 1-513-791-1000. It was done a couple of years ago and I believe the charge was $75.00.

Programming it has not been done as I did not have the the car with me and have had issues with my IDS SSD.

I would check with other Jaguar dealers near you.

Woodford Jag

Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I think I paid a 100.00

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
After I got my '06 XJ8L recently, I went down to the nearest dealer (Hartford CT) to get a spare key and fob, and also a valet key. I expected to get financially hosed, and I was. But that's not the main point of this thread.

The keys were ordered on 4/19, and were supposed to be in, in a "few days." Well, time has dragged on....

"A few days" came and went. I was eventually told that the ONLY place in the US where Jaguar keys could be made, was somewhere in Pennsylvania. And that their key-cutting machine was broken and waiting for parts. And that therefore my order had been bucked over to the UK. Now, as of 5/9 the keys have supposedly been cut in Jolly Olde England, and are en route back to the US. Delivery "in a few more days."

Is it really possible that there is only ONE place in the entire continental US that can cut these keys? I am a bit skeptical !
Someone posted an online dealer link. I think the cut key was around 100.00. I sent the registration, and also read the key cuts.
The key works perfect. Someone local here programmed the key with a factory SDD.
I purchased a remote off eBay and programmed it myself. That is the flashing the lights trick.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Key

The dealer in Cleve!and where I got my second key saId the key was cut in England and shipped to the dealer.Took at most a week for the key to arrive and less than an hour for service to program the remote.Your dealers story sounds a bit iffy.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I purchased two new remotes off of ebay ($33 with shipping for two) last month. This after I purchased an XJ8 with only one key. The remotes arrived one week after ordering. I got both remotes working (using instructions found here) but could not find anyone to cut the keys.

I just ordered two cut blades for the remotes (from England) for 28.48 pounds. I needed to send them the code. These were ordered last Friday. Not sure when they will arrive. Once these arrive will install them in the working remotes and then I will need to find some one to program the car to accept the keys.

A somewhat long process but I'm in no hurry and I'm cheap.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

The dealer in Ma is full of BS. You could have ordered the key from my dealer, driven 2 hours north to Scarborough Jaguar (Maine) Had a lobster roll had the key cut at the dealer and been done with it. Keep them in mind when you HAVE TO use a dealer. Dan in service is fare and knows the car inside and out. Justin is you parts guy (the man).

Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

My independent cut and programmed mine in Dallas.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Mark -
Unfortunately, the Maine Jaguar dealer is 200 miles and 3 hours away from me. But I'll keep that tip in mind. Thanks !

Does anyone know a Jaguar dealer in (say) the Albany NY area that they recommend ?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:16 PM

The lobster rolls are worth the drive. I drive 2 hours to Beverly (North Shore) for the best roast beef on the planet. (Nick's)

Old 05-11-2017, 10:21 PM

How far are you from Springfield Ma? Robinsons is one of the best indy's in the North East when it comes to Jaguar/Landrover/RR. Still might be a little far to go for you.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston

Contact Terry's Jaguar. Quick service, they include the cost of the cut in the price, and they cut them in-house. Mine was around $125 including shipping. You'll also need a transmitter fob as well.