XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Vibration/sound at stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Vibration/sound at stop

When I bring the car to a stop, while in gear, there is a vibration and associated sound coming from the car. If I put the car in neutral/park the sound/vibration goes away. It used to be less prominent if the climate control was turned off, but now that doesn't seem to matter. Oh, and it isn't "all the time", just comes and goes.

Any ideas?

Pulley? Belt? Transmission?

Other then the noise/vibration the car functions perfectly.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

No warning messages or fault codes means you're back to basics tracking this down. From what you say the vibration is there after the car has stopped, is this the case ? By disappearing when the trans is in neutral indicates something not right in the torque converter, or transmission, as by putting the car into gear, a load is being put on the torque converter, and also the transmission. Sometimes all these things are cured by a reload of the TCM software. I know it sounds stupid, but both my trans faults were cured by this; it's the modern car syndrome I'm afraid.

Never had any probs with the Borg-Warner 66 on my old '80 XJ6 !!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
From what you say the vibration is there after the car has stopped, is this the case ?
Yes, stopped, in gear, foot on the brake. You can't hear it or feel it when the car is in motion. It could still be there, but masked by other things. Put it in neutral and it all goes away.

I also noticed today that if at a stop in gear, the noise get much loader if I turn the steering wheel, but again it all goes away when I put it in neutral or park. It also makes the noise in reverse.

By disappearing when the trans is in neutral indicates something not right in the torque converter, or transmission, as by putting the car into gear, a load is being put on the torque converter, and also the transmission. Sometimes all these things are cured by a reload of the TCM software. I know it sounds stupid, but both my trans faults were cured by this; it's the modern car syndrome I'm afraid.
Reloading TCM seems like a cheap date compared to replacing parts. This has gotten steadily worse the last several days.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

As I mentioned in the other thread I started, I tried 2 othe cars of the same vintage different mileage, one had the same vibration at 54K miles and the other was as smooth and quiet as it should at 45K miles.

Someone suggested bad mounts as another possibility.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

Someone suggested bad mounts as another possibility.
Yes, of course ! Silly me not to have thought this. Obviously, with the car in gear and held on the brake, there is a load on the engine too. So this could accentuate an engine or other mount on the way out; not actually failed but starting to deteriorate. Whne underway, this vibration is disguised or blanked out by other noises etc

Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Guess the mounts are not the culprit...

Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Guess the mounts are not the culprit...
Not sure where you got that idea, it makes the most sense to me. I just have not had an opportunity to confirm it.

I have also noticed a noise when I am at a dead stop, in gear and then move the front wheels about 1/4 turn of the steering wheel and the car makes a similar sound but louder.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Dealer said none of the mounts were leaking.

Perhaps in your case, steering pump?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Dealer said none of the mounts were leaking.

Perhaps in your case, steering pump?
ah I see, I read this one before your thread. Funny thing, the last several days it has been mostly in remission. Only noticed it a couple of times. The steering noise also only happens when stopped. Even slowly moving (with windows open) and turning the wheel doesn't produce the noise.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
Yes, stopped, in gear, foot on the brake. You can't hear it or feel it when the car is in motion. It could still be there, but masked by other things. Put it in neutral and it all goes away.

I also noticed today that if at a stop in gear, the noise get much loader if I turn the steering wheel, but again it all goes away when I put it in neutral or park. It also makes the noise in reverse.

Reloading TCM seems like a cheap date compared to replacing parts. This has gotten steadily worse the last several days.
So is there a download for the TCM Software? From what i have gathered, you burn it to a CD and pop it into the CD player and upload the software your self? Right?.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Default MIne to

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
When I bring the car to a stop, while in gear, there is a vibration and associated sound coming from the car. If I put the car in neutral/park the sound/vibration goes away. It used to be less prominent if the climate control was turned off, but now that doesn't seem to matter. Oh, and it isn't "all the time", just comes and goes.

Any ideas?

Pulley? Belt? Transmission?

Other then the noise/vibration the car functions perfectly.
I to do not have a Code, but when drawing to a stop the car Vibrates.

Then when pulling off very slowly, like from 1st to 2nd it vibrates/shakes a little.

Id like to try the TCM Program update too before i start any flushing/Parts.

Is there a way to DIY the upload, if so where would you get the Software from?.

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 AM

No warning messages or fault codes means you're back to basics tracking this down. From what you say the vibration is there after the car has stopped, is this the case ? By disappearing when the trans is in neutral indicates something not right in the torque converter, or transmission, as by putting the car into gear, a load is being put on the torque converter, and also the transmission. Sometimes all these things are cured by a reload of the TCM software. I know it sounds stupid, but both my trans faults were cured by this; it's the modern car syndrome I'm afraid.

Never had any probs with the Borg-Warner 66 on my old '80 XJ6 !!
@Fraser Mitchell.

How did you go about reloading the TCM on your car?

was it a dealship job or can it be done by your self.

Please write back.

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

@Fraser Mitchell.

How did you go about reloading the TCM on your car?

was it a dealship job or can it be done by your self.

Please write back.

Thanks

Mike
Main dealer job, or an indie who has the right kit. My new shop, (an indie), has it. It is not a costly job, no charge for the software, just labour.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Dave

Any progress?