XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Visiting a drag strip in an XJR...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cincinnati
patrickw813, do you do a burnout in the water box or just drive around it and go straight to the tree ?
I drive around the water box, then back in to the water box so my front tires do not get wet. Then I just peel out to warm the tires a bit without wearing them out too much. Then I launch in the way I stated above.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first run was about 11:30 PM so it was probably down around the low 70's - I forgot to set my display to the outside temp.

On both runs I rolled straight into the water box. I smoked them good the first time - mostly just to see if I could. But on the second run I rushed and hardly spun them at all since they were shutting down in two minutes and there were a half dozen cars lined up to run yet.

Patrick what year is your car and any mods?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by sirnose
My first run was about 11:30 PM so it was probably down around the low 70's - I forgot to set my display to the outside temp.

On both runs I rolled straight into the water box. I smoked them good the first time - mostly just to see if I could. But on the second run I rushed and hardly spun them at all since they were shutting down in two minutes and there were a half dozen cars lined up to run yet.

Patrick what year is your car and any mods?
My car is a 2004 XJR with only a 1.5lb pulley on it.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Mind you don't wreck the transmission and driveline, 'coz they cost a lot to repair !!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Jag makes pretty strong rearends and the ZF trans is designed to to hold around 440 foot lbs. of torque. Unless you really screw up the run like slamming her into park or running low on fluids these cars are made to take it. I am starting to wonder if it's not worth modding this car. It sounds like most aren't getting any more power from pulleys, exhaust or intake. Most of the reviews I have read said the car runs about 13.5 stock. It seems that temp is our #1 issue. I'm thinking a separate cooling circuit for the intercoolers would be the best route and wider tires

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 AM

getting a set of drag radials would really help

Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
Jag makes pretty strong rearends and the ZF trans is designed to to hold around 440 foot lbs. of torque. Unless you really screw up the run like slamming her into park or running low on fluids these cars are made to take it. I am starting to wonder if it's not worth modding this car. It sounds like most aren't getting any more power from pulleys, exhaust or intake. Most of the reviews I have read said the car runs about 13.5 stock. It seems that temp is our #1 issue. I'm thinking a separate cooling circuit for the intercoolers would be the best route and wider tires
Temperature is DEFINITELY our number one issue. I recall on my dyno runs, after three repeated runs, I lost over 30rwhp. I was shocked at this. That power loss can make or break a race! I have since installed a low-temp thermostat that I got from Eurotoys. Using my OBDII scanner, I picked up a definitely decrease in overall coolant temperature. Instead of sitting at around 205-210 when cruising on the freeway, temperatures dropped all the way down to 185 degrees. I did run a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant plus a bottle of Redline Water Wetter.

My next course of action to combat stupid high temperatures is a water/methanol injection kit from snow performance. I am in the process of acquiring a new factory intake setup. (the plastic tube right after the airbox and the tube that sits between the intercoolers on top the supercharger) Using this, I am going to try and mask off the silencers, but, even if I am not able to do this, I will tap a hole into the intake tract to thread the 375ml injection nozzle. I plan on running a 70/30 mix of methanol and distilled water. I figure that the ratio biased towards methanol will help the mix evaporate quicker and therefore prevent water from contaminating the throttle body. If this setup doesn't work well, I will have a new intake tract to swap in so everything is still factory will no holes that I will have to plug.

I am hoping to gain about 20-30rwhp from this setup as well as gain a huge jump in overall efficiency!

Originally Posted by 1SICK*XJR
getting a set of drag radials would really help
I agree 100% with this statement. If only somebody made even street drag radials for the 19in wheels that I have. The stickiest tires I have found in the 255/40/19 size are the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa R compound tires at 60 treadwear. Even still, I think these are geared more towards road race than drag racing. I may give it a shot, however, seeing how sticky they really are.

Good thing is the local tracks around here spray the dragstrip with something called VP which helps traction or something. I think the next time I am out I will just suck it up and do a full brake-boost launch and see what happens. I've always rolled on in fear of spinning the tires halfway down the track and running a 16.7 @ 105.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

haha, I've spun the tires half way down the track before...I just gave up after that, and just cruised down the track, time ended up being a 18 or so.

I also have the eurotoys thermostat...hopefully it helps out alot with temps. There is a company up here, where we are trying to get a dyno day started out, that can make new/better heat exchangers. They make them all the time for the amg's. Someone needs to be the guinea pig that has a 4.2 I just can't have the down time. They'll give you a deal since they would be using your car for the development, then we all could buy them

Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Budsang1,

Talk to me. I have a 04 and two other cars, she has been sitting in the driveway. PM me and I might be able to help.

Also, has anyone tried to put wider tires on the rears? I'm curious if a 265 or 275 fit on the rim.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Budsang1,

Talk to me. I have a 04 and two other cars, she has been sitting in the driveway. PM me and I might be able to help.

Also, has anyone tried to put wider tires on the rears? I'm curious if a 265 or 275 fit on the rim.
Good question on the tires ....

Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrickw813 , very good info sir. Sounds like the thermostat is big help.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickw813
temperature is definitely our number one issue. I recall on my dyno runs, after three repeated runs, i lost over 30rwhp. I was shocked at this. That power loss can make or break a race! I have since installed a low-temp thermostat that i got from eurotoys. Using my obdii scanner, i picked up a definitely decrease in overall coolant temperature. Instead of sitting at around 205-210 when cruising on the freeway, temperatures dropped all the way down to 185 degrees. I did run a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant plus a bottle of redline water wetter.

My next course of action to combat stupid high temperatures is a water/methanol injection kit from snow performance. I am in the process of acquiring a new factory intake setup. (the plastic tube right after the airbox and the tube that sits between the intercoolers on top the supercharger) using this, i am going to try and mask off the silencers, but, even if i am not able to do this, i will tap a hole into the intake tract to thread the 375ml injection nozzle. I plan on running a 70/30 mix of methanol and distilled water. I figure that the ratio biased towards methanol will help the mix evaporate quicker and therefore prevent water from contaminating the throttle body. If this setup doesn't work well, i will have a new intake tract to swap in so everything is still factory will no holes that i will have to plug.

I am hoping to gain about 20-30rwhp from this setup as well as gain a huge jump in overall efficiency!

I agree 100% with this statement. If only somebody made even street drag radials for the 19in wheels that i have. The stickiest tires i have found in the 255/40/19 size are the pirelli p-zero corsa r compound tires at 60 treadwear. Even still, i think these are geared more towards road race than drag racing. I may give it a shot, however, seeing how sticky they really are.

Good thing is the local tracks around here spray the dragstrip with something called vp which helps traction or something. I think the next time i am out i will just suck it up and do a full brake-boost launch and see what happens. I've always rolled on in fear of spinning the tires halfway down the track and running a 16.7 @ 105.
do not run more than a 50/50 mix of methanol, the meth will take the coating off the rotors in the blower and you can watch 1-2psi boost go bye bye..permanently
ask me how i know. You wont have an issue with puddling in the throttlebody, but you will if you put the nozzle before the intercoolers. With snow you can setup the activation several ways, boost, rpm, etc so the flow will pretty much be at wot.
You need to practice with launch tecnique to see what gives you the best 60' times. Standing on the throttle from idle will flash the torque convertor(higher stall) and put you into the power band sooner. Loading the covertor/drivetrain can reduce spin cause you wont hit the power band sooner, nor will you tend to shock the tires loose. But you have to try different things, log everything you do, change 1 thing at a time to see what works and what doesnt.
You can always buy a pair of smaller diameter wheels to get a good drag radial, throw them in the trunk and change at the track

Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

A 275/40/19 tire will fit on the factory 19x8.5 inch wheels that come from the factory. They will sit flush with the fenders and will not rub and you do not need a spacer. I haven't tried running this size on the front but I can safely say that it will work well for the rears.

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
do not run more than a 50/50 mix of methanol, the meth will take the coating off the rotors in the blower and you can watch 1-2psi boost go bye bye..permanently
ask me how i know. You wont have an issue with puddling in the throttlebody, but you will if you put the nozzle before the intercoolers. With snow you can setup the activation several ways, boost, rpm, etc so the flow will pretty much be at wot.
You need to practice with launch tecnique to see what gives you the best 60' times. Standing on the throttle from idle will flash the torque convertor(higher stall) and put you into the power band sooner. Loading the covertor/drivetrain can reduce spin cause you wont hit the power band sooner, nor will you tend to shock the tires loose. But you have to try different things, log everything you do, change 1 thing at a time to see what works and what doesnt.
You can always buy a pair of smaller diameter wheels to get a good drag radial, throw them in the trunk and change at the track
The Snow kit I am looking at uses a signal from the MAF to adjust flow accordingly. My friends recommended a 50/50 mix. I think I have read somewhere that you are running a meth injection kit on one of your vehicles. Is there a specific mixture that you recommend?

Also, when you say "if you put the nozzle before the intercoolers", do you mean if I tap the nozzle in the plastic tract right after the airbox rather than the hard plastic tract that sits above the intercooler? If you were to recommend a place to tap the injection nozzle, where would that be? Thanks!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Really on the jag since it blows up and through the intercoolers it isnt as big a deal as turbo cars,. But the concern is always a leaking check valve that could lead to dripping fluid. I havent done any 04 up r's, but on the earlier have installed in the hat on the top of the blower before the intercoolers. Also since they run alot hotter than say a intercooler remotely mounted, you probobly wouldnt have much of an issue. Ive also seen an aluminum air intake tube fabbed with a true cold air intake sealed from engine heat and he later added a meth nozzle, which then became a 50shot of nos as his need for speed increased.
I run a 50/50 meth mix on the nissan and intalled right after the mass air flow sensor. The longer the track the more cooling effect you get. The reason i know on the mix is i have experimented with a 75/25 mix and it took the blower coating off the eaton and i dropped from 10psi to 8psi. And after talking to magnusson and the meth manufacturer this is why they dont recommend higher than a 50/50 mix.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Really on the jag since it blows up and through the intercoolers it isnt as big a deal as turbo cars,. But the concern is always a leaking check valve that could lead to dripping fluid. I havent done any 04 up r's, but on the earlier have installed in the hat on the top of the blower before the intercoolers. Also since they run alot hotter than say a intercooler remotely mounted, you probobly wouldnt have much of an issue. Ive also seen an aluminum air intake tube fabbed with a true cold air intake sealed from engine heat and he later added a meth nozzle, which then became a 50shot of nos as his need for speed increased.
I run a 50/50 meth mix on the nissan and intalled right after the mass air flow sensor. The longer the track the more cooling effect you get. The reason i know on the mix is i have experimented with a 75/25 mix and it took the blower coating off the eaton and i dropped from 10psi to 8psi. And after talking to magnusson and the meth manufacturer this is why they dont recommend higher than a 50/50 mix.
Alright well I will stick with a 50/50 mix then. I just won this auction on ebay for the meth kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

I think it was a pretty good deal. This kit uses a signal from the MAF to regulate injection so I think that will work well with my car. Also, it was the recommended kit for the Jag on Snow Performances' website.

I have attached a picture of the XJR's engine bay and where I plan to tap the nozzle. Do you think this location will work Brutal?

Attached Thumbnails Visiting a drag strip in an XJR...-engine.jpg  
Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 PM

i have a 98 so im running factory 18"s and a micky thompson 245/40/18 drag took the car this weekend to the track.the car dead hook with a best 60' of 1.89 other two passes in the low 1.9's car ran a best of 12.90 @105.5 and other two runs also in the 12.90's.i do believe toyo now makes a 19'' drag r888 i think.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICK*XJR
i have a 98 so im running factory 18"s and a micky thompson 245/40/18 drag took the car this weekend to the track.the car dead hook with a best 60' of 1.89 other two passes in the low 1.9's car ran a best of 12.90 @105.5 and other two runs also in the 12.90's.i do believe toyo now makes a 19'' drag r888 i think.
Toyo does make their R888's in a 19in size, however, the section width and sidewall ratios that they offer cannot be installed on my wheels. I am looking to acquire a set of 18in wheels off of an S-Type R. I figure if I stretch 255's on the 18in wheel off of an S-Type R, I will achieve the same contact area of rubber on asphalt without sacrificing a loss in efficiency due to a larger tire.

I would love to achieve a sub 2 second 60ft time. My absolute best with my XJR was a 2.154 I believe. If I could shave three tenths of a second off my 60ft time, I am sure I will also be in the high 12's.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM

1sick*XJR,
Is your car stock, besides the tires?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM

yes Patrick that would work, but if youre cutting off the silencer flat but not even with the tube.Leave a boss there. Why not plastic weld a new piece in there flat and mount the nozzle there? Also the units I did used the factory washer bottle and mounted and screened inlet into it to the pump. Then you dont have to worry about additional bottle and you have a washer level sensor to tell you when youre low

Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM

1sick*XJR,
Is your car stock, besides the tires?
no car has eurotoys lower pulley,front three mufflers removed and a x-pipe up front factory rear mufflers.a custom intake which i built,changing it this weekend my iat's still climb to much and take to long to go down.im going to make a 100% true cold air this time.car has 102k on it also i believe the maf may have gone bad im also replacing that this weekend and plan going back to the track on sun.

Quick Reply: Visiting a drag strip in an XJR...