XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Voice Module part Number

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voice Module part Number

I want to add Jaguar Voice commands to my 2006 X350 (Super V8) but want to make sure that I get the correct part. I have found what seems to be the right one. It has the following numbers:

Part Number 1R8F-14B292-HB
Jaguar Part XRB30427
VACM Voice Module

Is this the correct part??

Also, is it "plug-n-play" or will I need wiring. My vehicle has every other option (Navigation, rear seat multimedia system with TVs, bluetooth phone, Sirius radio, etc.). Where does it plug in?

I know that similar questions about adding a Jaguar Voice module have been asked on the forum, but I cannot find any references to this particular question. Please forgive me if I am bothering anyone with an old question. I did spend a lot of time looking for the answer.

Many thanks!

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 265 Likes on 198 Posts

There are part numbers in the JEPC, which also shows a couple of harnesses and a rear microphone. The Electrical Guide shows the unit located in the trunk.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Default Questions

Hey. Thanks for all this great info. But, a question. To show you how dumb I am in this area, can you tell me what JEPC is and where I can find it?

Yea, I'm dumb. But willing to learn.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 265 Likes on 198 Posts

It's the electronic parts manual. You can down load it from the How To quick links above in this Forum.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Default Programming needed?

Just wondering if the voice module needs to be programed for the car.

Also, will it work without installing the rear microphone? I already have a mic in the front and probably will never use one in the back seat.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

It's plug and play. I retro'd it in our STR and SV8. Get one, any one, and plug it in. the only issue will be it will be programmed for the car it came from. For example, both the VCAM's I bought for each of the cars came from the UK (super cheap) and they don't recognize the command for AM radio (don't seem to have that over there!). Also, I retro'd the phone in both the cars as well, but the STR doesn't have the commands, but the SV8 does. Minor annoyance, but as far as I know, they can just be reprogrammed (somewhere in IDS) with a VCM. I'm actually in the process of doing this soon as I just got my hands on a VCM. All this being said, they have been in the cars for years, and it's never been an issue. Actually, I rarely use the voice commands. Might adjust the temp, or cancel the NAV route now and then, but that's all. Still, it's a neat feature to have and passengers seem to find it cool.

Just to add, it doesn't matter what car it comes from. The VCAM in the S-type is from an XJ and the one in the XJ is from an S-type! (guess I should switch them around to be 'Correct', eh!)

Last edited by WinterJag; 08-05-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:16 PM

Sounds good. So, this unit will work?

Part Number 1R8F-14B292-HB
Jaguar Part XRB30427
VACM Voice Module

How about the mic. Since I have bluetooth phone that works from both the front seat and the rear (via multimedia console), I would think that there are already two mics in the car (one for the driver and one for the rear). But, if I have only one in the front, will I have to install another mic in the rear?

Also, was your '05 SV8 already wired for this or did you need to add an additional harness or other wiring? (Mine is '06 SV8). If so, what did you need?

Like you, I suspect that I will not use it a lot. But -- assuming that I don't spend a lot to get it working -- it will be great fun. As you say, the passengers will love it.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM

That one will work, but just a heads up, I paid a whopping 20 pounds for one of my modules, and 50 pounds for the other. You can find them for real cheap if you look around and not worry about perfect matching spec. And if it is coming from the UK (like mine did), even if it is perfectly spec'd to your car, it still won't recognize AM radio.

As for the mic, it'll work fine. If you have the rear mics too, they should be up near the grab handles in the rear. If you only have the front one, it is a bit involved to install the rear ones. I am planning on installing them myself, and I believe the headliner needs to be dropped and the rear seats removed to run the new harness. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. The other thing is, just because you have the controls for the phone in the rear (mine does too), doesn't mean you have the 4-zone voice control/phone setup. All the rear control packs have the buttons for voice and phone, whether you have it or not. I'm pretty sure I can control the phone from the back too, but I don't have the rear mics.

My SV8 actually didn't come from the factory with voice or bluetooth (very odd for a SV8 since they were supposed to have everything). As far as I know, all X350's were wired for everything, just add the modules you need. I had to add the mic up front, but that one is easy.

All this being said, my advice is get the cheapest VCAM you can find and plug it in. It'll work for 99% of the things you would actually use it for. If not, you can just have it reprogrammed.

The following users liked this post:
Deepstuff (03-19-2024)
Old 08-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Default Great advise, thanks.

Cool, man. It sounds like this will do the trick for me. I really do appreciate you taking the time to pass along your knowledge. The module is coming from England so it will take a while. But, once it arrives, I will let you know the result.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Default One more question for Winter Jag

You said, "
All this being said, my advice is get the cheapest VCAM you can find and plug it in. It'll work for 99% of the things you would actually use it for. If not, you can just have it reprogrammed."

If I need to re-program the unit, how do I do this or where can I have it done?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 PM

I answered in your PM, but for anyone else out there here it is:

Programming is done with a VCM and IDS 118.5. A mongoose and new IDS should work, but I'm not sure. Now, Cambo is the expert on this and he is the one I got my knowledge from. He can correct, or confirm, what I'm saying just to make sure!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Be careful of the part number of the voice module you buy, different part numbers for different languages!

2R8F-14B292-AA, -AB, -AC, -AD = US English
2R8F-14B292-BA, -BB, -BC, -BD = British English
2R8F-14B292-HA, -HB, -HC = Australian English
2R8F-14B292-DA, -DB, -DC, -DD = German

Other languages have other suffixes, French = Fx, Spanish = Ex, etc...

I have not had a chance to try a reprogramming to change languages in a module yet, although MagMedia did send me a German one to try changing to English...

For programming work on an X350 (or any Jag that has SCP & ISO networks) I would strongly recommend using a VCM, I definitely do not recommend clone Mongoose/Mangoose, use them at your own risk!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 PM

Thanks Cambo and WinterJag.

It looks like the module that I ordered is in Australian English. Does that mean that it has commands that are different from the U.S. English model? Will I have to say "mate" after every command or drink a Foster's before driving??

Seriously, what is the difference between the Australian and the U.S. model? Also, can it be reprogrammed to U.S. English??

Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I think the accent it speaks with is different, that's all, my XJR is a UK import so it has a British English module, the voice sounds like a British Airways 747 Captain hahaha

You can teach the module your particular voice or accent, so that's not a problem.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 AM

Guess I will have to throw a shrimp on the barbie
. or the manifold..

Someone mentioned that the British version doesn't recognize the AM radio. Any such issues with the Aussie version?

Sorry. Posted this twice and can't figure out how to delete one of them

Last edited by Newsguy; 08-08-2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Spell error
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 AM

Guess I will have to throw a shrimp on the barbie
. or the manifold..

Someone mentioned that the British version doesn't recognize the AM radio. Any such issues with the Aussie version?

Old 08-08-2017, 01:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
For example, both the VCAM's I bought for each of the cars came from the UK (super cheap) and they don't recognize the command for AM radio (don't seem to have that over there!).
That's strange, we certainly do have AM radio here in the UK.

Ben

Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Well, as to the voice thing, yes, you need to make it the right language! Like Cambo (who knows all!) my voice modules from the UK have that lovely British accent! I would guess its the same for the Aussie one. And I can confirm the UK ones have no trouble understanding plain old Canadian english (although I guess we still have some Brit in it).

Ben: Hmm, that's odd about the Am radio. Both our cars only recognize commands for MW (medium wave?) and the head unit in the wife's STR is also from the UK and it doesn't have AM, only MW and LW. I know I can just reprogram them, but its still odd since you have confirmed you have AM across the pond (in the other direction!).

Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Ben: Hmm, that's odd about the Am radio. Both our cars only recognize commands for MW (medium wave?) and the head unit in the wife's STR is also from the UK and it doesn't have AM, only MW and LW. I know I can just reprogram them, but its still odd since you have confirmed you have AM across the pond (in the other direction!).
I've just tested, and I can say 'RADIO AM' and it says back to me 'RADIO TUNE MEDIUM WAVE' and does change to AM MW.
What is interesting is that I replaced the cassette player a long time ago with the single slot CD player, but the voice module doesn't seem to know about that and just gives me the voice help for 'TAPE' related commands. There must be some way to configure the voice module with which options have been fitted to the car.

Ben