XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Warranty Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Warranty Coverage

Does anyone know if coolant leakage is covered in the Jaguar Select warranty?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes and no. Depends on the cause. Most hoses will not be covered. I would think it would cover the expansion tank, etc. Water pump could go either way.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks Ken. I rode the motorcycle to work today because I filled the tank last night when I got home and this morning I got the warning display. When I checked the coolant, the tank was empty again. So it leaks out without pressure. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can find the leak.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Thanks Ken. I rode the motorcycle to work today because I filled the tank last night when I got home and this morning I got the warning display. When I checked the coolant, the tank was empty again. So it leaks out without pressure. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can find the leak.
That kind of happened to me once. The light went on and the expansion tank was empty. I did not see any fluid or leaks anywhere so I drove anyway (it was winter). The light went out and never saw it again.

Well, actually it came up about a week later once and that was it. I thought it was a sensor or something....

Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Well, I can't find the leak but the expansion tank dumps the coolant on the ground over night. I'll drop it at Momentum Jag on Friday. They can look at it on Tuesday. We are leaving on a motorcycle vacation for the week so hopefully it will be happy again when we get back.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage and can tell you that on that car, anything to do with the cooling system is not covered under the warranty. Imagine my shock after just 11,000 miles when the heater matrix needed replacing at a cost of £2028.
The day I collected it after repair was the day I swapped it for an XJR.

With the leak you mention it shouldn't be too hard to locate.
Good luck.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Picked up my car from Momentum Jag this morning. It turned out that the upper radiator hose was the leak. Hoses are of course not covered by the Select Edition warranty. Oh well, I expected it would be something I could have fixed, just didn't have the time to do it. I had purchased an extra key and fob off ebay so I had them cut and program that for me also. I want to thank Brutal for taking care of the car for me and providing a key when it was found that the one I supplied was damaged and could not be cut properly. I wanted to meet him but had to pick up the car before he came in this morning, well maybe another time. It is good to feel like you know the technician if only through the forum.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else found the warranty on these cars to be far less complete in coverage than on other luxury brands? I just found out today that the delaminating headliner in my car is not covered and also learned that they only cover interior trim for 12 months/12000 miles. WTF?

Not the way to treat/retain a luxury customer. On my Porsche and our Cadillac this is never an issue--car is under warranty just about the only thing not covered is the tires.

I love my XJ8 but the combination of poor dealer service and that crap warranty has got me thinking that this will be my first/last Jaguar.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Headliner is not covered (only about $250 to do the whole thing) surprised on an 05 its a problem though. Im 99% sure they were wrong about interior trim only being 1/12k....its as long as the original 4/50 is in effect.

& Yes i agree select edition can be pretty cheap and picky which i do find frustrating id still buy another Jaguar again under Factory when you buy it to make sure its up to par. You could always go aftermarket too depending on if you actually paid for the warranty or it came with the car.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks--

The car is under factory warranty and two people at Jaguar "customer service" told me about the 12/12 warranty on interior trim. Damned if I can find that in the Warranty guide in the car. If that really is their policy, that is way uncompetitive with Cadillac, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes and now Porsche. On any of those vehicles this would have been covered.

I'll pay to have it fixed, first I have to find out who to have do it here in the Dallas, TX area but it has left me with a really sour taste in my mouth for Jaguar. It just seems stupid that Jaguar would throw away a customer relationship with someone who will buy quite a few more luxury cars over the years over something like this. The other issue Jaguar has in NA is that a lot of the dealers are not very good, customer service is an oxymoron at my local dealer. Again, compare/contrast with Cadillac/Porsche.

The real shame of it is that I love the car itself. It has been great.

Guess I will have to get to like the looks of the Panamera.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

On my 2005 VDP I had a cracked wood trim replaced just before the end of the 4/50 original warranty. My dealer had no problem taking care of it.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM

That's what I thought they would do, I am right at the end of the factory warranty....before my 2001 Cadillac STS (the Jag's predecessor) went out of warranty I had a bunch of ****ling things repaired without a hassle including a shift knob that discolored.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Not a fan of my Jaguar dealer. Their customer service is horrible. My Honda dealership feel like the royal treatment compared to Jaguar dealer. I fret anytime I may have to go to the dealer.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Alas, dealers are a continual cr@pshoot. It's worth remembering, though, that what happens at a given dealership is not indicative of anything about the manufacturer. State franchise laws have seen to that: auto dealers can do just about whatever they like, in the USA anyway. Moreover, it's quite possible to get better or worse service at the same dealer depending on what day you go, who you deal with, which tech actually does the work, what kind of mood he's in, and on and on. Therefore, it's tough to generalize.

Several manufacturers, Honda and Jaguar among them, have taken many dealers to court over poor customer service (often trying to revoke their franchises) and the dealers have won virtually every time. Why? Because the dealers pay off the state legislatures, and the state legislatures make the laws.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gimme a break, Marsden! Are you a conspiracy theorist, too? Maybe it's YOUR attitude that brings you bad service. Ever think of that?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

You guys should be getting along better. Marsden's stoner avitar looks like Jesus with shades, and Po's looks like Jesus as a stoner. Perhaps the radical Christian right is infiltrating this little sanctuary?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 AM

And note that (unlike other contributors here) I did not indicate I had received bad service anywhere. Struck a nerve though, huh.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your post above is not based on actual facts? How then do you gather your information and pass it off as if it were? You've got no foundation to stand on to make statements like you did. If you hadn't ever had bad service anywhere there would be no cause to write what you wrote, pal.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 PM

My original post in this thread, which you have yet to comprehend, states that it is "tough to generalize" about dealership service and--more specifically--that auto manufacturers cannot be held responsible for the service experience at any particular dealer.

Along with your puerile and irrelevant personal attacks, you drew the (erroneous) conclusion that I'd suffered bad service. Now you assert that my brief summary of state franchise laws is somehow contingent upon that conclusion.

To be charitable, one might conclude that your grasp of logic is no stronger than your grasp of etiquette. I hope that this explanation has clarified the matter for you. Bye!