XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Water pump or thermostat housing (again?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:37 PM
zak
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Water pump or thermostat housing (again?)

2004 VDP with 105 K miles.

Last year I replaced the thermostat housing thinking that was the source of the coolant smell. I used a new Genuine Jaguar replacement housing bought from a member here. Quite a bit of whitish orange gunk on the underside of the old one. Replaced most hoses while I was in there (exceptions were those to/from the expansion tank). Smell seemed very reduced.

The antifreeze smell is back again, perhaps even stronger, and have had to refill the expansion tank somewhat, so I took a good look at it while changing the oil. There is some white residue just above the seam on the expansion tank (black portion edge) but nothing at the nipple and no "wet" droplets.

The new thermostat housing has 2 or 3 dried orange drips on the drivers side bottom right at the molding seam of the housing, where there is a "cylinder" joining at right angle to the portion heading back towards the block under the throttlebody.

The front of the engine block had dripping coolant, more so on the passenger side of the water pump, below it. There were a couple of fresh drops on the rearward edge of the belt idler pulley on the drivers side. Couple of "dry" runs going behind the oil filter. These are all new from the last oil change/housing replacement for sure

My questions are:

1.) Are Genuine Jaguar t-stat housings know to leak on relatively short use (and at that seam described above)?
2.) Could the water pump be dripping from a weep hole (all original I think) onto the ID of the pulley and then being slung onto the T stat housing underside and timing cover? Inside of the pulley seemed slightly damp to me. Where is the weep hole(s)?
3.) Could the expansion tank be the root cause of all this, and if so how come it's never actively wet up there?

Thanks very much for any help - zak