XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Water in the trunk 2005 XJ, TSB? Also other problems..Tail lamp, no sound amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Water in the trunk 2005 XJ, TSB? Also other problems..Tail lamp, no sound amp?

Hello,

I need serious help, our lovely new Jaguar seems to have a water leak in the trunk/boot area. I think I caught it before it did any more damage. Im thinking its related but it might not be. There was about 2 in of water in the spare well area. I noticed after I looking for the fuses to the AMp since the car has no sound. So id like some help on three things.

1. I read that there us a TSB on these cars about water leaking in the trunk. Question is where is the leak from and what is the fix for it. Is is a gasket or a caulk leak? And where is the leak from? Pics might be great if anyone can.

2. I dont know where the amplifier "Alpine" is there is no sound from any of the speakers, not sure I tore the left side where the Nav and Changer module is and there is some kind of Amp looking box in front of them sideways at an angle. Is this it? or is there another one? Where can I begin diagnostics for this and how much is a new amp.

3. The rear lights are doing funky stuff. The right side LEDs are dimmer then the left and and even the brake mode on the LEDs are dimmer on the right. Left turn signal causes a Xmass tree effect on the rear FOG bulbs and reverse aswell as the licence plate bulbs. Is there a relay in the fuse box that might be causing this or a control module that might have fried from the water in the fuse box area.

The car is operational id like to tacle this myself, Im pretty good with cars. I do need some kind of Book on this car and cannot find literature on it. I dont have the owners manual so I dont even know what fuses to check and pick although all seems to be well with them.

The following users liked this post:
Bluefish001 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Over the years and back in the day I have owned 5 Jags. I seem to recall that 1 or more of these cars had a drain tube that attached to a nipple on the trunk (boot) opening channel and drained the collected water through the trunk floor. Could it be that this tube is missing or disconnected on your car?
Hope this helps.

RBC

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM

I dont know where this drain tube is but I only see one for the battery ventilation. I pulled the Fuse module and started to disconnet all of the plugs from underneath. Seems like the water and electricity turned it all into acid and was starting to corrode all of the pins and stuff and there were black burn marks in the plastic from sparks. The Fuse Module is JUNK. I ordered another one dealer wants $225 for it but I got one from ebay. I am uncertain that this will be the fix. I hope the shorts did not do damage to the AMP or any light control module. I am surprised not more items in the car were down. Ill wait for the Fuse box in the mail Ive since cleaned up the connectors and neutralized the connectors with baking soda mix. And dried it all up. Some spade pins in the module disintegrated and I hope the spade females in the wiring harness connectors are in good shape when I get the new box. Ill keep you posted.

FYI for those that have a water leak. Take out the Fuse box and dry any moisture out of it it will get into the connectors and cause some good fireworks.

I will still like to know what the water intrusion TSB said and where does it come from.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

R
You got your work cut out for you but do make finding and fixing that leak your first priority or you risk having to do it all over again.
Keep on keeping on

Old 10-17-2009, 11:10 PM

I think I found the leak it was some kind of hole the previous owner made for possibly an XMradio antenna or maybe some other kind of antenna. Well they did not seal it very well when they removed the device. I used Black urethane sealant and hope that does it.

The fuse box came in and after replacing it all seems well. Lighs all work.

But I still get no sound from the speakers. I do get power to the AMPlifier so I know the Fuse box is good and the Amp must have shorted or something I hope one of the Fiber Optic wires are not causing the issue.

I should order a used amp from the Yard and try it. But they are so expensive

$250 is the cheapest I have been able to find.

Anyone know how much its at the dealer?

Also I still need to know what it said on the TSB about water intrusion and the amplifier. Id like to know the exact source that the manufacturer screwed up the seal that alllow water to enter. I might have a leak from there.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak in Trunk/ 1990 XJ6/ XJ40

After almost a seven hundred dollars, I have a dry trunk. The final chapter? There are pressure vents under each side of the side trim in the trunk. These allow air to escape when the trunk is closed quickly in order to prevent the interior air pressure from impeding the trunk deck from closing. From the inside they look like large sealed hard black plastic bladders/containers.

The outside vents are hidden by the rear bumper extensions that run forward along each side. The design apparently anticipated that whatever water entered through the vent in inclement weather would be held in the container until it drained out the way it came in.

Unfortunately, the water was not draining, but collecting in the container until it was more than 60% full. The fix involved closing off 2 of the 3 ports on each side and resealing the bottom of the container. The water no longer collects in volume and no longer drains through the air intake or the imperfectly sealed bottom.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Fascinating post metzaluna but u r in the wrong forum.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Ricardo.

There should be a TSB re water ingress in a sticky at the top of this forum.

Lots of other info there too!