XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Week one update

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Week one update

I've now had the car for a week, and my "to-do" list is beginning to firm up:

Brakes: The brakes work well but they are VERY dusty. The pads on the car are new, but a set of Redstuff pads are a must have at some stage.

Tyres: The car is fitted with Pirelli P6000s (235/50 R18). One of the reasons I was looking forward to this car was a reduction in road noise (compared with my previous Subaru on 40 profile 17s). Bad luck! Not only are these tyres almost as noisy on coarse chip surfaces (rumble) but they whine on smooth seal as well. Unfortunately the tyres have a lot of life left in them, but this will give me some time to find something quieter. Any suggestions?

Stereo: The speakers are merely "OK" (standard non-Alpine system). It took me a while to get the system in my Subaru to where I wanted, so I'm starting again. My taste is more Sound Quality rather than SPL. Upgraded crisper sounding speakers are a must to make it sound less "Wooly". This will also help to deal with the tyre noise issue.

Boot Space: I can't quite fit my road bike in the boot (wheels off) so I'm having to fit a towbar. I'm sure a Jag with a bike rack on the back will confuse a few people who believe the stereotypes (about both Jag drivers AND cyclists).

The most important upgrade was replacing the grille slats with stainless steel mesh inserts. I ordered these before the car arrived. The mesh inserts are such an improvement, I'm sure they make the car run better!

Last edited by Davidrnz; 04-27-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Typing error
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidrnz
Boot Space: I can't quite fit my road bike in the boot (wheels off) so I'm having to fit a towbar. I'm sure a Jag with a bike rack on the back will confuse a few people who believe the stereotypes (about both Jag drivers AND cyclists).
My wife drives our Jag, or I suspect I'd be looking for a way to stow my Colnago.

Cheers from fellow roadie.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Where did you get your grill inserts? I'm looking at adding them to my xj and was curious if there was another source out there besides Mina.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by esloser
Where did you get your grill inserts? I'm looking at adding them to my xj and was curious if there was another source out there besides Mina.
The mesh inserts were from All Auto Toys (allautotoys) on Ebay. I don't know how they compre with the ones from Mina, but the price (including shipping to New Zealand) was the best I could find.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

"Tyres: The car is fitted with Pirelli P6000s (235/50 R18). One of the reasons I was looking forward to this car was a reduction in road noise (compared with my previous Subaru on 40 profile 17s). Bad luck! Not only are these tyres almost as noisy on coarse chip surfaces (rumble) but they whine on smooth seal as well. Unfortunately the tyres have a lot of life left in them, but this will give me some time to find something quieter. Any suggestions?"

If you were in Oz I would buy them off you!