XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

well great. Broke the xjr.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

It's well after midnight here for me mate.

I can only suggest you need to reduce the power consumption of the car with the ignition on.

If you have the trunk open, flip the latch so that the light goes out.
Push the latch in the drivers door with a screwdriver so that the car thinks the door is closed = no interior lights
A/C and radio off
Pull fuse F31 in the engine compartment fuse box (this is the intercooler pump, runs all the time, don't forget to put it back in)

If the battery is down then leave it charging for a while.

Trying to carry on with low voltage could make things even worse.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Jesus christ.

Just checked battery date.

Edit; my mistake, was marked 03, confusion haunts me this morning. Went and got a new one anyway. Old tested at 12.12 600cca...

Trip to autozone. Thank you for your help cambo.

New amg platinum installed. Waiting for rain to stop to have another crack at reflash .

Edit: break in the rain, still showing yellow battery with new battery in the car connected to charger. Turned everything off as you suggested. Idk brother.

I ran the diagnosis as you said by just the suspension, pulled

C2780 - ECU IN MANUFACTURER SUBSTATE
C1993 - PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT FAILURE

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-04-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Alrighty.

Good news!

I could not get that program to complete cam, I kept getting the error I stated above.

I cleared the dtcs, then put the car into customer mode, all is good. No errors anyhow.

Well sort of, took the car for a drive, no issue compressor comes on and off when it should, but now I need to run the program that got me into this mess to begin with, the suspension calibration one for lowering the car.

The corners are not where they should be and are off on each side by various amounts, but that part of the sdd should fix that so long as it does not crash on me.

If anyone who views this could chime in I would be very thankful.

I need to now measure where my wheels are, then SUBTRACT from the oem numbers to get the values I want to enter. Just want to confirm this before I go messing up? OR when I run that program will it automatically level me at factory height?

That should get me back to factory spec, and I will be done with this self induced fiasco.

"Which is...front at 386mm, and the rear at 373mm, remember these numbers, they are important. If the car isn't sitting at this height, then it needs calibrating to the factory settings, then once it's right, you can go back in & start to lower it."

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-04-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

I assume you have read Cambos article on how to lower you suspension height. So here is the section from that article.

The trick is, to add the amount that you want to lower the car compared to the factory ride height, to the value you enter in the IDS.

Example, if you want to lower the front by 15mm, to 371mm, and the front is actually at the factory height of 386mm, then enter 401mm into the IDS. Measure the other side and add the same amount. Maybe you don't want to lower the same amount front & rear? Then just add the amount you want to lower to the value.

After you've done all four corners, the car will go through a leveling cycle and adjust to the new height.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:19 PM

I don't know what to do other than take it to an indy at this point.

If I try to run the calibration or the flash to asm, I am met with "Tabman error= error ".

Who knows. Maybe my software is messed up because this crap is just non stop glitch and crash.

I understand the math on adding and subtracting to find the correct values, I was just unsure if the first "suspension leveling" would bring me back to manufacture height before I entered my measurements.

either way, I am unable to do so.

I know I have blown the risk of sounding like a moron out of the water about 2 pages back, but I really just dont know what to do at this point.

I can not measure to the center cap as cambo did because the car came with stupid corvette wheels. I can in fact measure from the inside wheel well apex to the bottom of the rim and then half the diameter leaving me with the correct measurement to center.

Which are....

FL: 386 mm. FR: 396mm
RL: 365mm. RR: 387mm

Gay.

Edit: to avoid yet another double post..

I did not want to be a quiter so I tried one last time. Shut down and rebooted everything-

went into calibration, followed directions to the tee, measured everything twice, entered my numbers accounting for addition and subtraction, god dam car put the front axle way back up in the air again. Why, why why why. I don't get it, I followed everything perfectly.

So I bled those two lines and walked the hell away from it, been at it like 7 hours watching loading screens for a damn suspension calibration.

No errors on dash, just a "too low".

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-04-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Alright, good morning.

Long story short I think your software install is no good.

Tabman Error is basically the software crashing out, for whatever reason.
Did I read somewhere that you are running a Virtual Machine? That's probably got something to do with it.

Which version SDD, and how was it activated? If it is a hacked version, these are also generally bad news (depending on who's hack).

I think you won't get anywhere with the software install you have now.

The car is driveable again, just with uneven ride height?

C2780 - ECU IN MANUFACTURER SUBSTATE = no calibration in the ASM

C1993 - PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT FAILURE = not 100% sure on that, but it means the pressure sensor in the air reservoir is either shorted, open circuit or just not working (maybe disconnected?)

Never got the C1993 myself, but this could also be a reason why things have gone weird on you. Bad sensor could lead to other problems...

What to do now? Well that's up to you, but don't try any more stuff with the SDD you have...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Don B (04-04-2015), Naso--Lituratus (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took me an hour to lower the ride height to where I wanted using the washer method. No need to brick your car messing with iffy programs.

Attached Thumbnails well great. Broke the xjr.-20s4.jpg   well great. Broke the xjr.-20s.jpg   well great. Broke the xjr.-20s1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Naso--Lituratus (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Cambo, I came to the sake conclusion.

No reason it should be that glitchey, and no reason for it to jack my front end up like that.

It is version 1.30 i guess it is a hack, from British Diagnostics.

I am using an older dell, xp loaded, so virtual machine shpuld not even be necessary except for the lack of internet connection going to the VM.

Idk man.

Pretty disheartening to say the least.

I am not sure what the car will do when I crank it/drive it. I cranked it briefly in the driveway after all was said and done and the compressor kicked on to raise the suspension out of "two low".

I do not know where it will stop raising it up to. I think it will go back up to the the rediculous rear low and front all the way up.

I will go test it now. Done with SDD.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Started the car, no warnings or "too low".

Compress comes on and puts the fromt axle at like 5 in above the rear. Smh.

Bleeding lines again.

Looks like tow and reflash at indy. Not risking anymore sdd #%€£ ups.

Assuming driving on that is a bad idea.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 PM

Yeah driving with the front full extended is not a good idea.

I'd say because there is no calibration values in the ASM, it just cranks in as much air as possible to the front shocks. Which is also not good for them.

If you are bleeding it and it comes down to a reasonable height, then disconnect one of the electrical connections from the front shock, it will give you a CATS ERROR but this also locks the suspension in place and it won't try to raise or lower as long as the error is there. It should be OK to drive it then. You could also pull the relay for the compressor, it's the brown one in the engine bay fuse box R1.

The bad install of the SDD is another topic we can follow up later.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:32 PM

That sounds like the plan to me my friend.

Definitely another day for possible reinstall off the sdd, like I said buddy I am more than disheartened by this whole endeavor.

Have much better things to do/ spend money on than Module flashes brought about by my own incompetents. But, ya live and ya learn.

Electrical connectors in the hood? Like at the shock mount point?

Again 1,000,000 thank you's. You have been extremely helpful and I can't be grateful enough.

Next time I am in Oz, I owe you a beer.. Or 8. Lol. I have quite a bit of family near Brisbane.

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-04-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Yeah the electrical plug in the top of the shock, just unclips and slides out.

Will follow up later.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:50 PM

Perfect.

I am just going to let her sit until Monday as nothing will be open tomorrow, I will drive it up to Wilmington and have my indy do all the calibration and asm flash. I will ask them to set me at a lower height while they are in there.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Hats off to Cam for his outsanding presence and assistance to Naso--Literatus on this issue.

And hopes for Naso--Literatus that it is overcome in the next days. No reason that it can't be by using a correct SDD if that is the culprit

Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi tell us of outcome and where you went wrong always nice to know , don't beat yourself up it may be the program you have is wrong a least you had a go hats off to you for that sometimes you have to walk away leave it for awhile and return latter , nice to see a forum member helping out with problem good luck

Old 04-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Hey thank you guys!

Like I said above, tomorrow I will let the car inflate a little bit, removal the compressor relay as to Cambos instruction and drive it to a professional to have them use a version of SDD that isn't possessed by Satan.

Like cambo said, it seems that my install of the SDD, or the software itself is not right at all.

This caused my suspension calibration through SDD to crash half way through.

This in turn caused the ASM module to become corrupt.

Since the software is possessed by demons if I try and go through the process of calibrating on my own using the software I have It will just make things worse. ( I.E inflate suspension to max over front axle because the ASM is corrupt, or crash again creating more issues)

I liken it to trying to jail break an Iphone and losing power half way through, corrupting the data.

Any who, I will post an update tomorrow when I get it fixed up.

Cambo has been invaluable.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:39 AM

Didn't wanna risk unnecessary damages. Insurance covered the tow :-)

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-06-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 847 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus

It is version 1.30 i guess it is a hack, from British Diagnostics.

I am using an older dell, xp loaded, so virtual machine shpuld not even be necessary except for the lack of internet connection going to the VM.

Sorry to hear about your frustrating weekend.

Just an FYI, I have the same system from British Diagnostics and have been using it quite successfully. I would recommend that you email British Diagnostics. Andrew was quick with Tech Support when I had an issue early on, and he could probably help you configure your system for optimum performance. He struck me as a good guy, and eager to help out.

Good luck on getting the height sorted out.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

All is not going easily.

Indy is on the phone with Jag tech.

Car keeps raising the front.. smh.

FINAL UPDATE:

The car did not want to be corrected, we ran the program (I was designated button pusher while the tech measured and worked the ignition half a million times) at least a dozen times.

We were met with errors the entire way, something must be wrong with my ASM.

In the end we did get it sorted out, the car finally accepted the measurements and we are back to regular ride height.

The last few times we ran the software we had Jaguar on the phone to reiterate everything we were doing. They were as perplexed as we were.

But lucky it did end up accepting the entries finally. Quite peculiar indeed.

Everything is back to oem ride hieght.. BUT the rear right wheel is off by about a 1/2 inch.

Oh freaking well. We did not want the car to jack the front axle up again so we called it a day.

All of 4 hours spent running calibrations.

200$ is what I was charged. Happy it is sorted (for the most part)

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-06-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by triggeraa
Took me an hour to lower the ride height to where I wanted using the washer method. No need to brick your car messing with iffy programs.
Please feel free to elaborate.

Quick Reply: well great. Broke the xjr.