XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Wet ECM - now won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't crank

Went through a drive-through car wash and water got in underneath the windshield on the passenger side and got my ECM box wet.

After removing the ECM, taking it out and drying it with a hair dryer, I replaced it put it back in the car and reconnected it try to start the car. The car still wouldn't start I had to tow it to a local shop.

Is this something that needs to be fixed by replacing the ECM or did I not allowed enough time to dry?

Thanks

Last edited by GGG; 07-04-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: merge content of two posts
Old 07-04-2018, 08:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Alvin,

I've put the information together from your Intro thread and posted this thread for you.

Graham

Old 07-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default I have been exactly where yiu are

Originally Posted by Alvin Watson
Went through a drive-through car wash and water got in underneath the windshield on the passenger side and got my ECM box wet.

After removing the ECM, taking it out and drying it with a hair dryer, I replaced it put it back in the car and reconnected it try to start the car. The car still wouldn't start I had to tow it to a local shop.

Is this something that needs to be fixed by replacing the ECM or did I not allowed enough time to dry?

Thanks

About a week after buying my XJ8L 3 years ago it happened. Carwash. Leaves blocking drain under cabin filter. All sorts of system errors, and when I attempted to drive it home, I could not top 15 mph. I decided to leave it in a mom & pop pharmacy and let it dry overnight. No good. So I got in there and pulled the ECM. You can understand my concern when water pored out of it when I tilted it.

In my case I was pleased to see the somewhat sealed circuit board, and, after blow drying it, resetting the emergency brake, all was well. The only suggestion I have is to clearly check the wire harness connection to ECM. Use some electronic cleaner, and cam it on and off several times. As long as its well connected, and your battery is fully charged, I would expect it to work. Beyond these things I am at a loss on what is still holding you back.

Please check back and let us know how you made out!
​​​

Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Almost forgot!

I just went over this again, and I hope its what I'm thinking. You didnt describe opening the ecu the way I did when the water came streaming out, and your question about letting it dry enough gives me hope (that you didnt open it) when you do, you will see how its unlikely to dry fully without intervention. The box is mostly empty space besides the pcb, and itsnot designed to vent or drain moisture.

Please get the ECU box open gently, and fully dry the circuit board with a blow dryer - its been a few years so I can't say with certainty how it is sealed, using a gasket or whatever, but I dont recall feeling worried about water ingres, assuming you keep the drain clean!).

Jaguar used good quality components during Ford parentage, and the X350 is a world class effort from a company of their size
at the time, but some packaging choices were less than optimal, this being a prime example. Another one that I fear is ever needing to replace the wiper motor. It requires removing the brake master cylinder!

​​​

Last edited by Blairware; 07-04-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

+1

we've had a small number of similar things with S-Types (which have a very similar computer) and thorough drying worked.