XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What about my conscience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What about my conscience?

Hello again. As you know by now, I tend to worry. It's not really as bad as I make it sound - but let's just say I'm more aware of things than I used to be, which brings me to my point. We all know that Jaguars are sexy, beautiful, etc. However, we also know that they are often perceived as VERY expensive cars (indeed they are, initially). I live in a poor, rural area, and I work in a fairly poor town. I work in the investment world.
Upon buying the VDP, the wife hasn't told anyone and doesn't really want to be seen in it in our area. She loves and appreciates the car, as do I, but she is slightly concerned about people's perception. We all know the REAL story about what great value used jags are, but your average Joe does not.
Just curious if I have anyone feel the same way. I'm not really looking for "answers" I guess, maybe just your thoughts. Thanks.
FYI I have told her that we spent less than half what most of the "poor farmers" around here spend on their new trucks every 3-5 years. : )

Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha, I feel guilty about people seeing me drive an XJR while my wife tools around in her Hyundai Santa Fe but truth-be-known, the new Hyundai cost significantly more than my 4 year old Jag!
But back to your point, If your other/previous car is/was a BMW 733, I wouldn't be too concerned. The "poor farmers" are accustomed to seeing you guys in nicer rides.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Anxious Jim
..... I work in the investment world.
Well, there ya go . IMHO you've answered your own question.

Those who are conversant with the prices of used Jaguars won't think any less of you.

Those with a highly exaggerated notion of used Jaguar values will be thinking
"damn ... he must be pretty good! Maybe I oughta invest with him!"

(Keep in mind ... I have the financial savvy of the average 6-year old.)

Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  19.3 KB

Jim, I wouldn't worry too much about it, although I'm sure it will happen, its just a case of when not if.

4-5 years ago when I bought the X type for my wife, every single person that I knew both socially and work wise made comments such as have you come into money, or, flashing the cash are we? etc etc
We live in I guess you'd say upper working class area surrounded by some middle class and thats the sort of comments you get........

Its all part of the process of owning a Jag I guess

Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Get off your knees. Stand up like a man. Hold your head up like you are somebody. You could benefit from 3 years in the Army or 3 minutes with my old Grandmother, both of whom taught these lessons.

Don't apologize or make excuses to any man you haven't offended. Try a few chapters of "Atlas Shrugged". A good dose of Ian Rand is good for the character.

As to your neighbors, well you know what they can do and that goes for the horse they rode in on as well. LOL Oh God ! I've got to write this stuff down.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tarheal: What you say makes sense. In fact, I worked and worked and worked, bought real estate and invested money. Busted my **** for years to "get somewhere." Spent many Friday and Saturday nights working on rentals properties: painting, cleaning bathtubs, ripping up carpets, putting down laminate flooring, etc. Well, now I've kinda "gotten somewhere" but am almost afraid to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Remember I said "almost." Part of it comes from my career where I've seen dozens of people with virtually nothing, and no options to change it. Also have a couple of family members who are ****-poor and were never shown how to make something of themselves. Just sayin.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:25 PM

i understand. i bought a used 2006 sv8 2 1/2 years ago and its awesome. i own 2 businesses and and have worked hard for many years. i believe my customers must think i am loaded and making a fortune. i do well and deserve the jag. amoung my friends and colleges its not a problem . they know me and that the car was purchased a good price. i live in a nice upper middle class neighborhood and it is one of the nicest cars here. there is a perception about people and cars make a statement. the solution is to drive and enjoy.... why should you feel guilty about something you wanted and purchased. If I moved to some neighborhoods the jag would be slumming. its all about point of veiw. also if you have nice things you should continue to strive for success.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dear Jim,

There is no way you can justify your 'oneupmanship' IMO.

Last edited by direng; 09-10-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Why would I feel like that ? I dunno what to say on this . Do you owe someone , you steal something , you embezzle ? If your answers is NO to all these then relief
A brand new cheap eco boxes cost more than your Jag and mine too lol
Lord knows , I want W221 Mercs he he

Old 09-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

AJ, don't spend your life worrying about what other people think; that's a recipe for a dull existence. Enjoy your life and reap the benefits of your hard work.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Some years ago here in England you would see adverts for used Jaguars with the words "Lots of flash, little cash", and this still sums up the situation today as I paid less than 1/4 of the new price for a 30k miles one owner car, albeit 7 years old.

So running around in an elegant Jaguar is nothing to be ashamed about. Farmers will want to run 4x4s anyway, as they will do lots of off-highway driving.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 AM

a few months ago, my wife and I took a weekend at a very nice beach resort. her comment as we valleted the car was they probably thing we are loaded. I told her "what ever". We are certainly not poor. I enjoy my car. 2006 xj sv8 portfolio and saved 70k of the list price and it was 3 years old. think of it as not flashing cash but being a smart purchaser. more bang for you buck. When I looking for my last car. I had it down to 3 choices. lease a acura tl 3.7 or buy a 3 years old bmw 750 or the jag. It was a no brainer. If I leased again I would be looking at a nice car but since I bought a high end used I own an awesome car. Also the jag is mine and I can do what I want with it. A lease is a rental and you must give I back in the orig. condition. If someone says something to you, tell them you purchased it used and let them check it out. They are just a hater and are jealouse that there 1971 ford pick-up is not a jag...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1965
...are jealouse that there 1971 ford pick-up is not a jag...
Actually, I'd love a decent 1971 F-150.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no appeasing the envious -- they just want to see you reduced to where you are beneath where they are. At which point they flip over into gloating about how they are "better" than you. Since they are capable of gloating, that's precisely what they presume you are doing to them. You can't win dealing with this type of person.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I get that crap all the time from people in my office, they see the cars, boats and other toys I have an assume I am loaded or had it all given to me. Truth is I work my *** off after hours to afford the toys I have and be able to take my family on nice vacations..

I remember telling one girl that just bought a brand new Acura how the purchase price of her new car was likely more than my Benz, and two Jags combined. She was speechless when I did the math for her. I continually tell people buying new is paying a stupid tax unless you are planning on keeping the car forever.