XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What about SLOTTED Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What about SLOTTED Rotors?

The '06 XJ8 VDP now needs the brake job I've been putting off for too long! I'm wondering what experiences members have had with Slotted Rotors vs OEM or other rotors.

From what I've garnered through this forum, it seems EBC Red Stuff ceramic is a good choice for pads as well as many recommendations for Akabono. It's the Rotors I'm most perplexed about.

Are slotted rotors worth the cost, do they really perform better than OEM? What is your experience?

Thanks for all the assistance this forum provides.

Ken

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Generally on street cars with street pads, any loss of rotor surface area reduces performance. If you are driving on the track with track pads, you will need drilled or otherwise extra vented rotors to keep the temps in line. Other than that, rotors missing surface area stop less well.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

My $0.02

Buy Slotted rotors on a street car for looks, not performance. As was posted already, you're not going to get any performance benefits below track/racing use.

On a street car/daily driver, here are some pluses/minuses:

1. Drilled rotors are SLIGHTLY lighter, but that isn't going to be much benefit on a street car.

2. Much contrary to popular belief, warpage is never a problem on standard factory rotors (always misdiagnosed), but with drilled rotors, all that missing material makes them a poorer heat sink under aggressive braking which actually CAN lead to warpage - but still a stretch.

3. There would be a slight gain in shedding heat, but only in aggressive driving situations. Literally no benefit in stop and go driving. In fact, you're better off with more metal acting as a better heat sink.

4. Drilled rotors shred pads so wear is a lot quicker (life of pads shorter).

5. They just look really cool on the right street car.

PS: Prescott is a very nice place! Been there once, and I know people who have second homes (called "extra" homes) there.

Last edited by steve11; 11-02-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys! Since all my driving is under "sensible" conditions, I somewhat figured that slotted, drilled, punched or whatever rotors would amount to an overkill, I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some unique principal of brake rotors!

Actually, it never dawned on me that less surface would result in less braking ability; though it must be very minor. They do look 'cool' however!

Any thoughts of which standard rotors are best or perhaps which to stay away from? I seen prices all over the board; in some cases there is a $100 difference per rotor!!!!! I'm confident I won't go for the low, but does more $$$ usually mean better quality?

Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Like anything in life, spending the most amount of money on anything only guarantees that it is the most expensive. Here too, use is a considerable variable. If this was a daily driver, typical non-aggressive driving, almost anything would work. Just more depends on how much bragging rites are important to you.

Take pads, for instance, I've found a little known secret - the Duralast (Gold) ceramic pads sold at Autozone are a superior product - quiet, no dust, lasts a long time, and they are half or less the price of brand name ceramics. Of course, Autozone doesn't make pads. Some large, well known manufacturer makes them and provides them to Autozone under its brand name. I have these pads on all my cars, and recommend them for my customers when they ask me what I use. And yes, I'll put on whatever a customer wants (to pay for), no problem, no argument. Abolutely NO bragging rights with Duralast though.