XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Had my wheels rebalanced at Firestone on Saturday. Ride vibration around 70 is gone but the steering wheel still jiggles a bit.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default correct air flow sensor

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Had my wheels rebalanced at Firestone on Saturday. Ride vibration around 70 is gone but the steering wheel still jiggles a bit.
Just installed the correct Denso brand air for sensor, the one atop the rubber bellows before the throttle body. Believe it or not, when I bought this cherry the same hose had fallen of the throttle, causing the vehicle to be in 'limp mode.' I did not know this at the time. The airflow sensor on the car was a Toyota brand, and tested dead. I looked it up, it fits certain Toyota/Scion/Lexus models, and it has a 'remanufactured' sticker displayed. Today I received the 'Denso,' installed it, and after dinner headed out for a test. I knew that the throttle was more immediate, but out on the highway, vive la difference! The engine when pushed simply explodes in paroxysyms of unabated sheer, terrible thrust. The cat now knows just how to entertain, this is precisely what driving a Jaguar is mostly about. Kudos to Autohaus AZ for getting this vital part to is' destination super quickly. Now, what's stopping me from bringing this beauty to a complete awfully scintillating intense boil.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by romroc
Just installed the correct Denso brand air for sensor, the one atop the rubber bellows before the throttle body. Believe it or not, when I bought this cherry the same hose had fallen of the throttle, causing the vehicle to be in 'limp mode.' I did not know this at the time. The airflow sensor on the car was a Toyota brand, and tested dead. I looked it up, it fits certain Toyota/Scion/Lexus models, and it has a 'remanufactured' sticker displayed. Today I received the 'Denso,' installed it, and after dinner headed out for a test. I knew that the throttle was more immediate, but out on the highway, vive la difference! The engine when pushed simply explodes in paroxysyms of unabated sheer, terrible thrust. The cat now knows just how to entertain, this is precisely what driving a Jaguar is mostly about. Kudos to Autohaus AZ for getting this vital part to is' destination super quickly. Now, what's stopping me from bringing this beauty to a complete awfully scintillating intense boil.
Vitals: 2004 xj8, all aluminum, all the time, 'normal' engine, British Racing Green over biscuit interior.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Had new front left wheel hub installed, vibration gone!!! Bought Mina Gallery 1.7lb S/C pulley.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by romroc
What is an ASF?
Sorry for the slow response, I just saw this. ASF = Air Suspension Fault

Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Got a winter protection kit with 4 wheel drive...A 17 year old Jeep so the Jag can rest in a nice heated garage this winter.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello.
I did not do anything at this stage, but would like to start retrofitting some options that my car does not have.

Does anybody have any instruction, link or at least required part numbers for following retrofits?
- memory seats - mine does not have the Memory options...
- side mirrors adjusting for rear tires when reversing
- ACC (This would be nice options for rational cost)
- rear climate control

Thanks

Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by -Greg-
Hello.
I did not do anything at this stage, but would like to start retrofitting some options that my car does not have.

Does anybody have any instruction, link or at least required part numbers for following retrofits?
- memory seats - mine does not have the Memory options...
- side mirrors adjusting for rear tires when reversing
- ACC (This would be nice options for rational cost)
- rear climate control

Thanks
Unfortunately, I think it would much easier and cheaper to just buy a car with all that already installed. I don't think you can retrofit any of that stuff at all, actually.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Rebuilt one front and one rear brake calliper. Rear one because it was leaking and front because the dust seal was split. Seal kits readily available and the only awkward bit of the whole job was disconnecting the park brake cable.
Wondering now if I should do the other 2

Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Sooner is better than later. Done then forgotten.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Unfortunately, I think it would much easier and cheaper to just buy a car with all that already installed. I don't think you can retrofit any of that stuff at all, actually.
Well, due to some changes in taxes here, custom clearance of 2005 XJ 4.2 will cost me $3000. Buying new one in Tbilisi is also not an option - there are 5 X350s in total, none for sale.

So That is the only option I have really

Old 08-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default On to the body shop

Picked up my 05 Xj8L at the radiator shop today, new radiator and condenser thanks to Coyote strike at speed. On my way to the body shop for the new bumper cover, fog lights, inner fender liner, etc, and the car died at an intersection, showing all the annoying signs of intake air/MAF disconnect. Sure enough, clamp wasn't tight enough, so it came loose at the bottom, letting in gobs of unrecognized & dirty air. No tools at all, so I got it to stay in place by loosening the top of the air filter box, leaving it ajar. Car started and drove fine, only 5 blocks to go, to get to the body shop. 1 block later, bonnet flies up since loose air box lid interferes with latching the bonnet. Made me wish once again (between swear words) for the rear opening bonnets on my pair of X308's. Lowered the bonnet and tied it in place with a shoestring removed from my work boot. That made me limp until I could get it reinstalled and snugged up again. Good thing I love these cars,

Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face what did you do to your x350/x351 today?

Changed out the fuel filter. 103000 kms. Replaced a few missing bolts off the plastic floor pan cover I took from my donor Black XJ8 VDP. Car runs awesome, but I guess maybe I should be looking at putting new plugs in before potentially taking it down the Coast and over to Reno. I say potentially because it has Pilot Super Sports on it at the moment, and if we hit any early snow in the mountain passes it would not be good. Dang...that emoji went in the title spot.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Replaced all the COPs and emptied the oil catch can as I had to move it anyway.

I replaced all the COPs as I suspect an intermittent misfire every once in a while and the originals have 108K on them.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Got my new 2004 XJ8 back from my indy mechanic. Had new coolant reservoir, new valley pipe, new thermostat housing, new water pump, new belts,...I do not want anymore coolant problems and do not want to have to tear down the top for a long, long while.
Next project is to replace the front rotors and brake pads plus fix the rear sensors

Old 08-26-2017, 02:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the strut master air suspension conversion done. I am totally satisfied with the changeover.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Replaced the Coolant Expansion tank as it had a broken pipe, got a brand new Jaguar one off Ebay for £58.
Removed the upstream O2 Sensors with the intention of swapping them around to see if the P0171 code I have been getting and the high ST & LT Fuel trims on Bank 1 would move to Bank 2, but Bank 1 Sensor had been cross threaded and rather thna risk damaging the good cat and O2 sensor just refitted them and ordered a new one. I will try to repair the Cat threads before fitting the new sensor.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Replaced rear air struts with Arnott 2891. All four are now new Arnott struts with lifetime warranty.

Received my Mina Gallery S/C pulley, just need to install it now.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Intake air duct off again

Relative to previous post, Now I carry a large screwdriver in the door pocket, as the air duct has come off of the throttle body twice more. There seems to be an interference fit between the front air scoop that is bolted to the crossmember that locates the top of the radiator, and the air duct elbow immediately above it. The scoop is always pushing up on the bottom of the elbow, so the elbow wants to slide off of the smooth aluminum of the TB, more than the ability of the circle clamp to prevent it. Since all of this has been out of the car recently for repairs, something must be mis-aligned.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reset parking brake fault

Twice today and both times it popped right back. I use the reset procedure set forth in the TSB so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. It has worked a couple times. I've had the car about a month and a half and the parking brake fault light has come on three or four times. Usually it has been successfully reset but now its being stubborn. I wonder if the rain has anything to do with it, seems like it acts up when it rains. Probably just a coincidence.

I have a Foxwell NT510 scanner, which will read the chassis codes. Can I reset the EPB with the scanner? I know I can put it in "service mode" but I didn't see an advantage to that so I didn't. I wasn't sure how to get it back out of service mode either...

Oh well, I guess that little dang yellow light is going to stare at me a little longer...

Last edited by Muleears; 08-29-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: remove four letter word ;)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?