XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

We hit 175k miles this weekend, and still pulling hard in this cool weather.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

At 68k .miles on my 06 SV8, decided to treat my cat to new plugs. Replacements are the same as originals since done by Jag Dealer.
Runs purrfect as if it was just born. No other sweet sounds from a genuine Jag, than WOT with SC.
What a great driving day.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

My upper radiator hose popped off this morning in traffic. Thankfully, I was able to pull to the side before overheating. I had to call a service truck since I didn't have grips to open the clamp in order to reseat the hose. If I had my toolbox I could've been back on the road in minutes. >

Topped off with coolant (which I always carry), bled the system a bit, and made it to work. Now I have to figure out why the hose just popped off.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
My upper radiator hose popped off this morning in traffic. Thankfully, I was able to pull to the side before overheating. I had to call a service truck since I didn't have grips to open the clamp in order to reseat the hose. If I had my toolbox I could've been back on the road in minutes. >

Topped off with coolant (which I always carry), bled the system a bit, and made it to work. Now I have to figure out why the hose just popped off.
Oh boy. I would test your cooling system for hydrocarbons. Same for exhaust. I'm sure you have a factory spring loaded clamp fitted?

I noticed upon taking in my XJR my upper hose was a bit out. I reseated it when servicing my water pump. No issues since, cooling system and sniffer testing showed no hydrocarbons.

Maybe double clamp?

Good Luck

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abonano
Oh boy. I would test your cooling system for hydrocarbons. Same for exhaust. I'm sure you have a factory spring loaded clamp fitted?

I noticed upon taking in my XJR my upper hose was a bit out. I reseated it when servicing my water pump. No issues since, cooling system and sniffer testing showed no hydrocarbons.

Maybe double clamp?

Good Luck
Hmm...I'll check for signs of head leaks. I do have the factory clamp fitted; I was thinking maybe its gotten weak.

I'll keep an eye on the cooling system and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

Removed the passenger side axle on the 2004 XJ to replace the side seal in the differential. I noticed some seepage of oil from the seal when I put the car away for winter. I have to pick up a new seal tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:49 PM

Received my new Bosch Aero Twin wiper assemblies for the XJR. Much lighter than the factory wiper arms plus the washer tubes are a direct fit!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Received my new Bosch Aero Twin wiper assemblies for the XJR. Much lighter than the factory wiper arms plus the washer tubes are a direct fit!
Where did you find these?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a tad over 98,000 miles with my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, and the only thing that I had to do this year with the vehicle was to replace the blower module. Today, I think that I will park the Jag in my parents' garage, and borrow my father's car for about a week. This is because the area is about to get hit hard with lake effect snow, and my father's car has front wheel drive.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by romroc
Where did you find these?
Amazon - $22.05 + $10.00 shipping for the set!

JAGUAR XJ BOSCH AeroTwin Front Wiper Blades PAIR 600/475mm 24 19 AR608S

The following 3 users liked this post by abonano:
jackra_1 (12-11-2017), Panthro (12-10-2017), XJ8JR (12-08-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I did nothing, zippo, nada because:

Auto-Response By (Administrator) (12/04/2017 09:40 PM)
Thank you for your recent e-mail. A customer service representative is working to address your request and will respond as quickly as possible.

Thank you for using UPS.
Customer By CSS Email (UPS E-mail Communications) (12/04/2017 09:40 PM)
Your Name: John R Anderson
Your E-mail Address: jackra_1@hotmail.com
Support Category: Receiving a Package
Support Topic: Delivery Change
Are you the ...: Residence
Your Telephone: 4435161070
Tracking Number OR InfoNotice Number: 1Z5623000393981884
Ship To Address
City:
State:
ZIP Code: 21784
New Delivery Address
City:
State:
ZIP Code: 21784
What is your question or comment? This package has been out for delivery twice with several rescheduled delivery dates.
I am getting pretty fed up with your failure to deliver.
What guarantee is there that I will receive the package Tuesday 5th Dec?
Should I cancel the delivery and buy another item and get it shipped Fedex?

Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Had to fix a slow puncture today on the LH rear wheel. It was easily seen, being a self-tapping screw about 1/2" long and I spotted it before it had gone down so managed to get it to a tyre shop nearby. . Fortunately it had gone in right in the centre of the tread, so was repairable.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Well the Jag/interstate battery (2yrs old) bit the bullet. I was at one of my best friends funeral, and the damn thing died (no pun intended) while I was in the funeral home! It was 25F, and I was in a suit. The funeral director had a booster jump to get me started and home to swap out cars. The 2001 beater Range Rover 220k fired right up with a... you guessed it, old beat up Varta.
That was the last straw.
I went to work the next day and picked up the exide. So far no issues, even at 17F overnight. Time will tell. Boy do I miss Varta batteries.
RIP

Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts
Default How did I miss this thread?

Rhetorical question, answer; general lameness.
Aside for servicing and preventative maintenance, my 358 never seems to need anything apart from a sound thrashing. One thing I would like to do is to convert the TV system to pick up digital broadcasts; I believe that various plug in gadgets are available, anyone having experience of these can earn a beer by passing on their knowledge.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe double clamp?

Good Luck
Hmm...I'll check for signs of head leaks. I do have the factory clamp fitted; I was thinking maybe its gotten weak.

I'll keep an eye on the cooling system and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
My 06 SV8 had coolant loss problems I thought I'd fixed with a new thermostat, water pump, and expansion tank cap, and then a new top radiator hose assembly when the old one backed off, but then it started blowing the new top radiator hose off and blowing coolant through the 20 PSI pressure cap. I replaced the new top hose spring clamp with two jubilee clamps and it still tried to back off the hose. It retained residual pressure in the cooling system so I bought a block tester and verified combustion gas in the coolant. I don't know if the first time the hose came off was a symptom or a cause of the head gasket leak it apparently has now, but I suspect it was a symptom of a HG leak caused by the previous water pump leak and resulting high temps. Bummer!

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (12-12-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Sorry to hear that Phil. That is truly a bummer to say the least.

John

Old 12-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default New fuel filter

As I sat in a parking lot waiting for a store to open, I could tell the idle was uneven and stumbly, so I shut it down. After making my purchase, the car would fire momentarily and die, similar to being out of gas, which I wasn't, or having a dead fuel pump. When the flatbed retriever dropped the car of at my workshop, it fired up and ran/drove fine, probably as a result of the bouncing jolting ride. At 120K, I figured the fuel filter was an easy early target, so the factory original Jaguar branded filter has been replaced by a new Wix filter. I intend to swap out any relevant relays, but for now, I'm gradually back to using it as my daily driver. Fingers crossed about the fuel pump. The replacement is five times the price of the one I just bought for my X308!

Old 12-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
My 06 SV8 had coolant loss problems I thought I'd fixed with a new thermostat, water pump, and expansion tank cap, and then a new top radiator hose assembly when the old one backed off, but then it started blowing the new top radiator hose off and blowing coolant through the 20 PSI pressure cap. I replaced the new top hose spring clamp with two jubilee clamps and it still tried to back off the hose. It retained residual pressure in the cooling system so I bought a block tester and verified combustion gas in the coolant. I don't know if the first time the hose came off was a symptom or a cause of the head gasket leak it apparently has now, but I suspect it was a symptom of a HG leak caused by the previous water pump leak and resulting high temps. Bummer!
I checked my oil and didn't see any signs of coolant mixing in. No bubbles in the expansion tank either and my temps are ok, so I'm hoping I can rule out a head gasket leak, at least for the time being.

I suspect the neck on my radiator may be deteriorating, which may have caused the hose to slip off. It's edges were beginning to fray the last time I saw it. Perhaps a new radiator should go on my repair/replace list for 2018.

In other news, I started getting an intermittent Restricted Performance during this morning's commute. From past experience I knew it was another one of my ignition coils going out and sure enough the code reader tells me its Cylinder F (6). 5 down, 3 to go.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Duck taped my crunched car

Really !!!! Duck tape on a Jag !!! How low can I go.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Nice job attempt to cover, preventing dirt and such from entering the wound.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?