XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by nsubbu8854
I did. But it says it doesn't fit 2008 Jaguar XJR.
Fitment also said they wouldn't fit my 04 XJR but others here said they would fit and they did and work flawlessly.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Aer...72.m2749.l2649

This is the exact seller I bought mine from last month, they fit my '03 X350 perfectly. I had to flip the jets over for RHD - they come set for LHD by default. Much better than the originals, the work of moments to fit.

The following users liked this post:
nsubbu8854 (07-07-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by lc3566
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Aer...72.m2749.l2649

This is the exact seller I bought mine from last month, they fit my '03 X350 perfectly. I had to flip the jets over for RHD - they come set for LHD by default. Much better than the originals, the work of moments to fit.
Correct. I had to switch my washer jets also. What a great improvement...

Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

My wife was complaining about the noisy wipers on the VW Passat which were not very old.

I was told it was not possible to replace just the rubber on Aeros but I bought new rubbers

cut them to size and fitted them to the Aeros.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
My wife was complaining about the noisy wipers on the VW Passat which were not very old.

I was told it was not possible to replace just the rubber on Aeros but I bought new rubbers

cut them to size and fitted them to the Aeros.
When people say "it is not possible" I have always seen that as a challenge. Many times I have been successful in doing something that "is not possible". Not always but mostly yes.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Not today, but what a couple of days !!

This is about what I did today with one particular Jag but what a week I had with two of them. First my wife called me and said that here XJ* was acting up and she was taking refuge at a local gas station. I drove over and drove the car around the building but couldn't detect anything serious but decided to play it safe and have her drive my XK8 while I drove her car into town. I turned on to the 4 lane and as I did I heard a loud 'crack'. When I started accelerating I made it perhaps 50-75 feet and the car suddenly started a vicious front- shake as the steering wheel tried to rip itself out of my hands. Had that happened at speed the car would have certainly been uncontrollable and something bad would have happened. Had to flat towed to a local shop where they found that the left front outer tie rod had somehow become disconnected. While I searched around for the parts I was told they needed I decided to go down and personally see what was needed so as to translate their American terms into something resembling Jaguars terms so we'd be on the same page. Take my XK8 to make the 20 mile drive and about 1/2 way there the dash lights up with warnings of electrical system not charging followed shortly after by low coolant level and the inevitable fog of steam being released as the temps started their inevitable climb. Yet another tow to join my wife's XJ8 in work shop hell.

The crank pulley had come adrift which had thrown the fan belt into one of the cooling system pipes and fractured it so that not only was the water pump not doing its thing but the coolant now had yet another way to escape. This late on a Thurs. afternoon as the shop was closing. Despite paying close to double the price for the ruined plumbing and a promised overnight shipping from a Jag dealer only 100 miles way the part did not in fact show up for 5 days. That 5 days added $300+ in rental car expenses to what ended up being a $700+ bill for labor and assorted parts.

Just another chapter in a saga that long time Jag owners experience.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Just another chapter in a saga that long time Jag owners experience.
My condolences, the cats really have a way to catch you on the wrong foot ...

As for me, I complimented the green lady with new shoes. Took Goodyear Vector 4Seasons all-weather tires because
a) I hate juggling wheels twice a year between winter and summer
b) don't want to spend the money on a second set of rims that I like as much as the Autec Corona that I corrently have and which I find fit perfectly to the car.

I also had the aircon refilled, but there seems to be yet another problem because the car keeps being an oven in the current weather and the air from the vents didn't really change temperature to the better after the fix. With a huge effort in positive thinking I could say the temperature dropped by 1 or 2 degrees, but I'm not finished with the A/C topic yet

Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Charge cooling.

In an effort to improve the above, removed all the under bonnet / hood insulation, and cleaned ten years of grime from the aluminium intake castings.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 AM
Aix

Originally Posted by Etypephil
In an effort to improve the above, removed all the under bonnet / hood insulation, and cleaned ten years of grime from the aluminium intake castings.

Yuck, ok, you win, even though your pic doesn't work to support your case

Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Have you ever cleaned out the inside of the charge coolers?

Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Aix

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Have you ever cleaned out the inside of the charge coolers?
If the question is to me then yes, as young student worker on engine test rigs I did a lot of dirty stuff like that
I recommend a good laundry detergent to clean everything up to the elbows afterwards. Works better than even most of the dedicated hand washing pastes in my experience

Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry I should have made it more clear as the question was to Etypephil.

The inside of these charge coolers "gunk up" after about 40-50k miles and their efficiency obviously drops off dramatically.

A major reason why I have an oil catch can installed as well as a water/meth injection system.

I also detailed the whole outside a while ago. Since then have added a stage 1 intake.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-06-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ordered them last week. Hopefully they fit my 08 XJR.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Etypephil

When you say you removed the hood insulation, did you re-fit it again afterwards? I'd have thought the heat from the engine would eventually ruin the hood paintwork without the insulation? My own hood insulation is coming away in places & it's something I've been concerned about.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by lc3566
When you say you removed the hood insulation, did you re-fit it again afterwards? I'd have thought the heat from the engine would eventually ruin the hood paintwork without the insulation? My own hood insulation is coming away in places & it's something I've been concerned about.
No, I stored it in the garden shed, in case I or a subsequent owner should wish to replace it. Potentially that is a problem, after about twenty five years, by when I will be ninety-three and probably not too worried about peeling bonnet lacquer.:-)

Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aix
Yuck, ok, you win, even though your pic doesn't work to support your case
Bloody cheek! I like a spotless under bonnet area, but not enough to make it happen. :-)

Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by jackra_1

Sorry I should have made it more clear as the question was to Etypephil.

The inside of these charge coolers "gunk up" after about 40-50k miles and their efficiency obviously drops off dramatically.

A major reason why I have an oil catch can installed as well as a water/meth injection system.

I also detailed the whole outside a while ago. Since then have added a stage 1 intake.
Yes, improvement, or even restoration, of original performance is exactly the kind of thing I will put effort into. Yours looks very nice, but I am too old to be bothered with the cosmetics of mechanical components.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Wellll! It's been quite some time since I've been here; but for a "what did you do", after finally becoming fed up with the Suspension on my car, I went ahead & did the Coil conversion/Arnotts; 2016, I replace the Front Air Shocks with Arnott Air Shocks, as well as the Air Compressor; a year later, I had to replace the Air Compressor again (Last Aug.) along with 1 of the Rear Shocks; I got a RMT OEM part; that's been fine until a couple months ago, when my Air Comp started acting up again; at the time, I didn't have, or didn't find a leak, so I got a new Compressor, & replaced it myself; the a month or so later, it started acting up again, but now the 1 Shock that I hadn't replaced was leaking; so I said, "you know what,,,,,,,,,"

& now, I LOVE the way the Arnott Coils make the Car sit, as well as I REALLY like the ride; I thought I wouldn't, but it's REALLY good!!! I also replaced all of my Sway Bar Links as well...

All this said, I'm selling the 2 Front Air Shocks (2yrs Old) & 1 RMT Rear Shock(Close to 1yr old) they all still have a LOT of warranty left (10 yrs Originally) I'll post details elsewhere of course...

Old 07-12-2018, 01:50 AM
BLK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Control arms, front tie rods, rear sway bar links

Next will I’ll be all rotors and pads

Last edited by BLK; 07-12-2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 AM
Received 214 Likes on 139 Posts

Got my AC regassed
Now nice and cold!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?