XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by roviw
Glad it all went well with the mirror, a nice addition that most people do not have. People sometimes ask what is that showing in your mirror to me and are surprised when I say it is a compass. How did your final setting up go while driving round in circles ? haha
I have not done that yet as it is pouring with rain.

I still need to think of a place where I can do that without an audience.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I have not done that yet as it is pouring with rain.

we have an old bus turnaround in our village so I nipped up there after dark when I fitted mine !

Old 10-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

I have thought of a place not too far. Its a tax preparation building with a large lot in front with not much else around.

The following users liked this post:
roviw (10-28-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I have thought of a place not too far. Its a tax preparation building with a large lot in front with not much else around.
So is the mirror w/ compass "plug and play" with the existing connector??

Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abonano
So is the mirror w/ compass "plug and play" with the existing connector??
Yes it is.

At first I expected it to be "active" when I turned the ignition on and it was not so my first thought was uh oh. Once I started the car it did become active
with green direction letters.

Still have to "calibrate" it.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:41 AM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts
Smile

We expect at least a live webcam on this confidential website.

Ah, then you'll like this story
"Guy bankrupted by IRD (IRS) buys their building then evicts them"
(but he kept them for a while with his name plastered on the building)
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=10382813

---------------------------------------
As for myself today (Sunday Driver pfft!), I drove my wife 90km/50 miles round trip to a farmers market. She bought a $5 bag of mandarins. The trip cost what $50... but it was The Journey That Counts!!!

Last edited by ChrisMills; 10-28-2019 at 03:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisMills:
jackra_1 (10-28-2019), Panthro (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Yes it is.

At first I expected it to be "active" when I turned the ignition on and it was not so my first thought was uh oh. Once I started the car it did become active
with green direction letters.

Still have to "calibrate" it.
Took the plunge and purchased one. Even though the compass is on the nav screen I prefer to have it in the mirror.

I've had to calibrate the compass in my 2000 S Type. The procedure is not that bad...

jackra_1 (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

If you have never taken the mirror off it is a little more daunting when doing it for the 1st time.

Once off I realized that pushing down on the mirror stalk, parallel to window slope, probably is the best way rather than leveraging off the way I did.

At least I was able o put the new one on easily by sliding the base up until the clips ether side engaged in the slots of the piece glued to the window.

The split cowling is quite fiddly to take off and put back.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Ok so went out for a drive. First drive in the Jag for at least a couple of weeks!

I fiddled with the forward DVR and inadvertently turned it off I think even tho blue lite was on. So no video.

Anyway it would have shown me breaking the speed limit as apparently I reached a very hi speed when tried a to get a 0-60 reading which I will not post here.
I had traction control off and was in sport mode.

Anyway the compass was showing at start up and seemed a little off when comparing it to the GPS.

My spot was filled with cars at that tax place so drove on and found an empty church lot.

Went in and pressed the button in the hole at the bottom of the rhs of mirror and chose zone 11.

It did not come up with the C notation for calibrate. So drove off a bit and as far as I can tell it matches up 100% with the GPS system.

Panthro (01-03-2020)
Old 10-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

So I have been trying to sell my 08 XJ and car keeps fighting me. Went to show it the other night to a guy willing to deal with the ABS module/pump issue at a discounted price. As I head up to see the guy, the air suspension fault light comes on.....seriously are you kidding me, I've had the car for a year and never a blip suspension wise. I just laugh now. So I plug it in and get an indication that the compressor is timing out. Guess I can't complain at 123K miles. I tell the guy about Bagpiping Andy's kit and he says "if you do the compressor I'll buy the car" Terrific!! I get the kit, jack the car up and the compressor comes out in less than a half hour. Could it be this easy.....nope. Go to take the cover off the piston and both bolts break off. Okay minor setback. I sand them flush and start step drilling the bolts. Screw extractor goes in and first bolt comes out. Yea!! Extractor into the second bolt and SNAP it breaks off flush. Car sits overnight. Luckily I work with talented welders and the next day one of the guys tig welds a nut to the broken bolt and gets it out. PHEW.... Now I put the compressor back together and go to put it in. Don't like how its lining up so I go to take it back out and one of the little suspension springs flies out and disappears into the lower bumper area. Twenty minutes later I find the spring and all goes back together in about half an hour. So far so good, no suspension light. But this is why I don't do this for a living anymore..one hour job takes two days. By the way Bagpiping Andy's kit is very nice and seems to have done the trick. So now will the XJ go to a new home?? Who the heck knows but we are going to give it another shot. That's what I did to my XJ today (and yesterday)

Old 10-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking Repaired Broken Shift Mechanism

Broken part

Slotted and brad nail inserted

The other side

Finished product

The other side

Installed part, ugly but effective and stronger than before.

Product I used, but you could used an epoxy of your choice
The molded shift mechanism was broken and I didn't think replacing the entire shifter J-gate was the only answer. So, I repaired it. First I used my dremel tool to cut through the cells, so that a piece of metal was placed across the break, to reinforce it ( in this case a stainless steel brad nail). The repair seems stronger than the original. I also filled in the cells to make it solid.

The following 2 users liked this post by joeleerj:
jackra_1 (10-30-2019), jluvzcarz (10-29-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Whilst I admire your DIY, and good job (for you), I wouldn't buy it if I saw something like that.

Story: My mechanic broke off the pip at the top of the plastic water tank. I could have repaired it with a brass insert. With time... Stuff it, I just allowed him to charge me something like $250 for a new tank.

If you are going to repair something, at least make a neat or semi-professional job of it (regardless of whether it works)

Cheers

Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally received my micro HDMI converter cable so was able to link my new Android tablet with Sygic and Waze to my head unit.

Pics not great but you can get the idea.
Thats a nice update to the car system.

jackra_1 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joeleerj
Broken part

Slotted and brad nail inserted

The other side

Finished product

The other side

Installed part, ugly but effective and stronger than before.

Product I used, but you could used an epoxy of your choice
The molded shift mechanism was broken and I didn't think replacing the entire shifter J-gate was the only answer. So, I repaired it. First I used my dremel tool to cut through the cells, so that a piece of metal was placed across the break, to reinforce it ( in this case a stainless steel brad nail). The repair seems stronger than the original. I also filled in the cells to make it solid.
That is really good stuff for all sorts of "mends" etc. I have used it for several projects.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Catch Can installed and updates.

It has been in now for 1000 miles and I have ALOT of terrible blow by liquid in it first dump was 3oz.

jackra_1 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the update. Sounds like your experience is similar to mine.

Just think where all of that collected "stuff" would have gone without the CC!

OnebadassXJR (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Default Not For Sale

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Whilst I admire your DIY, and good job (for you), I wouldn't buy it if I saw something like that.

Story: My mechanic broke off the pip at the top of the plastic water tank. I could have repaired it with a brass insert. With time... Stuff it, I just allowed him to charge me something like $250 for a new tank.

If you are going to repair something, at least make a neat or semi-professional job of it (regardless of whether it works)

Cheers
Thanks for the admiration on the DIY ChrisMills, but I don't recall trying to sale it to you. Additionally, this is a part that most Jag owners have never seen. Oh and by-the -way, I pay $40 all day long for new tanks! Opinions are like a$$ holes, everyone have them and they all stink..

Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 AM

That is really good stuff for all sorts of "mends" etc. I have used it for several projects.
Yes, it's good stuff I used it all the time.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Default Overhead roof console

My "new" overhead roof console arrived today with wood trim.

Can you see the mistake I made?

Just a bit more work....thats all.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

My original has a "P" button next to the shade button.

I totally missed that. In fact looking at all available on Ebay it seems to be very rare.

Anyway the color was wrong so I simply took off the wood trim from the grey console and xferred it to the tan one.

The grey one actually had an OEM microphone in it so was rare in more ways than one.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?