XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Etypephil
That must be properly loud; there's not much in the way of silencing under there. You'd never get away with that in authoritarian Britain, but good for you. How about a recoding of it accelerating flat out?
Thanks brother. It is pretty loud. In cabin is not terrible like it was when I had cutouts right under the exhaust headers, but 3rd person you can hear it from a mile away.

Here's a few clips:

The following users liked this post:
Etypephil (09-14-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:16 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

"Properly Loud" - I love it!!! (the description that is)
But I am taken with the instruments up the A-pillar, not so much the instruments but the woodwork (if it is). Description please!
(One of your other posts or videos, it seemed to be woodwork. Sorry if I'm wrong)

The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisMills:
Etypephil (09-22-2020), jazzyjags (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:19 AM

Thanks Chris,

I wish i could find a piece like that in real wood to match my interior. Its actually a universal plastic A-pillar. I cut and heated it to mold it to fit decently. My step son wrapped it in vinyl. I bought the vinyl on either Amazon or Ebay. I actually had to get a few different styles/rolls because online they looked like they would match the wood in my jag, but once they came in person they didn't. Finally after about 4 tries, I found one that was very close.

I gave my step son $20 and he used a heat gun to wrap it as cleanly as possible. Its not perfect, but looks alright. The main thing is i can easily remove it and return it to the factory look. Since that video, I got a nice set of matching gauges (a little pricey) and the back-light on them matches the green back-light on the odometer. I'll see if I can get a picture of everything lit up when its darker out.

The following 3 users liked this post by jazzyjags:
ChrisMills (09-17-2020), Joel Brown (04-22-2021), Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Couldn't part with the XJR, an auction story

Through my work I have access to a large dealer auction here in CT. I have wanted an XKR ever since I got hooked by the Jaguar bug. This week an '07 XKR coupe with only 48K miles came up at the auction. I was giddy and went to look at the car. I always have had the mantra that "some good cars go to the auction....but all bad cars go to the auction" As such,I am hyper critical when looking at an auction car, especially one this old showing up. This XKR turned out to be pretty darn good. Everything worked as it should, switches, lights, dash controls, etc. The motor ran smoothly and did not look to have been messed with, and tires, brakes, and wheels were in decent shape. The interior had a couple of blemishes but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. The exterior showed no signs of any major damage. The undercarriage was spotless. It drove nicely for as much as you can move it in the auction yard. A worthy candidate, I was happy.

I had the money to make a bid but knew that if I bought it that I was prepared to sell my 05 XJR to offset the cost. Funny thing is as I drove home and thought more an more about it I just couldn't bring myself to part with the XJR. There is just something about the traditional look of the X350, and what I feel is a more elegant interior than the XKR, that made me realize that yes I would love an XKR but that I truly appreciate the XJR so much that I couldn't bear the thought of selling it. Guess I have to save up a little more so I can have them both!!

By the way the XKR sold for 17,200.00 so a pretty good deal for the buyer. Meanwhile I enjoyed the ride in to work this morning in the ole red gal.

Can't part with it!

The following 4 users liked this post by jluvzcarz:
Colm O (09-21-2020), Etypephil (09-22-2020), jackra_1 (09-17-2020), jazzyjags (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:46 PM

Glad you kept it. I can relate. I wanted to buy an F10 M5 for the longest. It would require selling my XJR (same color as yours aka the best color ) I posted it for sale a few times but just couldn't pull the trigger even after a few decent offers. My conscience was beating me up.

Today, I have an XJR in my garage and no M5. I'm happy with that. Making that decision almost feels like I renewed my vows or something.

Enjoy it while you have it brother

jluvzcarz (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjags
Glad you kept it. I can relate. I wanted to buy an F10 M5 for the longest. It would require selling my XJR (same color as yours aka the best color ) I posted it for sale a few times but just couldn't pull the trigger even after a few decent offers. My conscience was beating me up.

Today, I have an XJR in my garage and no M5. I'm happy with that. Making that decision almost feels like I renewed my vows or something.

Enjoy it while you have it brother

Thanks Jazzy.. for the vote of confidence! I follow your posts just to see the possibilities as mine is bone stock. One interesting thing that came out my experience was that my wife, who only after I had decided to keep the XJR, said "I'm glad you didn't buy that silver Jag, I like the red one". Who knew! She just does't know yet that it means I have to find a way to have them both :-) I also have a hankering for a M5 but mine would have to be an E34. Guess I am giving away my age.

jazzyjags (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:02 PM

Jazzy, please compliment your step son on his workmanship. Some random admirer of his handiwork still insists it looks like burl walnut!
My interest is that I acquired a leaper (my car didn't come with one due to source country), but there is no way I can bring myself to drill holes in the hood. So I am contemplating making an ornament out of it, using real burl veneer of course. Like a trophy: "2nd Place: Couldn't Drill Holes in the Hood".

(the leaper is perfectly valid on these cars, but whether it is installed or not depends on the source country)

Last edited by ChrisMills; 09-17-2020 at 04:25 PM.
jazzyjags (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Jazzy, please compliment your step son on his workmanship. Some random admirer of his handiwork still insists it looks like burl walnut!
My interest is that I acquired a leaper (my car didn't come with one due to source country), but there is no way I can bring myself to drill holes in the hood. So I am contemplating making an ornament out of it, using real burl veneer of course. Like a trophy: "2nd Place: Couldn't Drill Holes in the Hood".
Chris, drill the holes! A Jag has to have the leaper. I have a Chrysler 300C that I added a rear spoiler to and thought I was nuts the whole time until it was done. Had to drill six holes in the trunk lid. I measured 10 times and drilled once and am thrilled with the result. You will be too!

Last edited by jluvzcarz; 09-17-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:12 PM

Oh it's easy for you. You and Jazzy. Prancing around in Radiance Red which would have been my Colour of Choice.
With the limited cars available at any time, I ended up with Gold. I think I convinced my wife it was 24carat. Actually she chose it, something to do with matching her jewellery or something.
But I always wanted Radiance Red!!!

Speaking of XK's, I just love looking at them! Like still every day in the For Sale columns. I went out intending to buy one, had my wife sit in one, but in the end the XJ was more practical for us.

My arm just won't cooperate when it comes to drilling holes in the hood. However, merely for research you understand, can you give me the exact measurement from the front of the leaper BASE to the front of the hood. (not the hole to be drilled)

Last edited by ChrisMills; 09-17-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:22 PM

Oh it's easy for you. You and Jazzy. Prancing around in Radiance Red which would have been my Colour of Choice.

However, merely for research you understand, can you give me the exact measurement from the front of the leaper BASE to the front of the hood. (not the hole to be drilled)
As long as you can hang on until I get home from work tomorrow, I'd be happy to get some measurements for you. I'd then love to see that shining leaper sitting on 24K Gold! (Which by the way looks good on an XK convertible with the tan roof and saddle leather...smooth class)

I too search the car ads daily. It's my addiction. I always have 40 to 50 cars on the list. My wife just shakes her head. In the 30 years we've been together she has had 3 cars and I have had 20. Mind you they are not big dollar cars but I give them plenty of care and they are always clean.

I'll take some measurements tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:51 PM
Default I love a good project

Ok ChrisMills I couldn't resist. Read your request again and thought well that's easy, so I took a quick picture. I hope it spurs you on. 5 5/8 in the dark and through the bifocals :-)

ChrisMills (09-24-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I know you did not want the holes however it is important to know where they are.

I am starting to prep my hood for respraying over the next few days so have the holes readily "available" to see.

The circle you see is where I had a leaper red badge. SO I have to decide whether to put that back or the leaper when I am done with the respray.

ChrisMills (09-24-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 07:06 PM

Here's my Mate! Random chance. Well not random it was a Jaguar event. Mine is the slower one...actually I don't know coz I wasn't game enough to try.
'08 XJ (X358 3.0 XJ6) '07 XK (4.2 I think) There are various gold names depending on year but these are both "Winter Gold".

Last edited by ChrisMills; 09-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisMills:
indyx358 (09-18-2020), jazzyjags (09-17-2020), jluvzcarz (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:51 PM
Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
A good wrench will often let you learn if you stay out of the way, & don't ask too many unnecessary questions.
Agree with you 100% on that Wingrider! I asked no questions. Just watched and gave him his space. He checked the gap and simply looked at me with a nod of approval. I was most interested in cylinders 7/8 because I know how difficult they could be. My personal tech switched them out in about 2-3 min flat for each plug. Very impressive stuff.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by indyx358
Agree with you 100% on that Wingrider! I asked no questions. Just watched and gave him his space. He checked the gap and simply looked at me with a nod of approval. I was most interested in cylinders 7/8 because I know how difficult they could be. My personal tech switched them out in about 2-3 min flat for each plug. Very impressive stuff.
Yes Indy... Wingrider is right on point there. I was fortunate many years ago now to learn from an old school mechanic who took an interest in me. He did not suffer fools well and I think he liked me because I would ask how and then just watch. He told me "always invest in the right tool when a job pisses you off for the second time :-)". Hence I have just about every conceivable socket and attachment for changing plugs. He also told me "99% of the time its the simplest thing, so start there when diagnosing". Of course your mechanic came to you, but I used to also watch when people brought their own parts in to the garage and wanted him to install them. He would ask them "If I bring eggs and bacon to your house Sunday will you make breakfast for me". He was a character and a bit grouchy but what he taught me was the basis for what has been a happy successful life.

The following 2 users liked this post by jluvzcarz:
indyx358 (09-20-2020), Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by jluvzcarz
Yes Indy... Wingrider is right on point there. I was fortunate many years ago now to learn from an old school mechanic who took an interest in me. He did not suffer fools well and I think he liked me because I would ask how and then just watch. He told me "always invest in the right tool when a job pisses you off for the second time :-)". Hence I have just about every conceivable socket and attachment for changing plugs. He also told me "99% of the time its the simplest thing, so start there when diagnosing". Of course your mechanic came to you, but I used to also watch when people brought their own parts in to the garage and wanted him to install them. He would ask them "If I bring eggs and bacon to your house Sunday will you make breakfast for me". He was a character and a bit grouchy but what he taught me was the basis for what has been a happy successful life.
The Grouchos are the best. Full of knowledge and they don’t need to explain things twice! And yes, the right tools win more than half the battle!

The following 2 users liked this post by indyx358:
jluvzcarz (09-21-2020), Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by joeleerj
Replaced both mounts today. The right mount sprung a leak. Not a bad job, just had to make sure the engine was lifted high enough for clearance. I couldn't get the bolt off the right mount, because the stud separated fron the bottom of the mount and would just spin, so I had to cut it off using my reciprocating saw.

Hi Joe,

What brand motor mounts did you purchase? That’s my next task and there are so many on Ebay, wondering if there are any that are better than OEM Jaguar part.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Properly loud.

"Properly Loud" - I love it!!! (the description that is)
But I am taken with the instruments up the A-pillar, not so much the instruments but the woodwork (if it is). Description please!
(One of your other posts or videos, it seemed to be woodwork. Sorry if I'm wrong)
All the chat about "little troubles" noise, leapers, colours, trim and alternatives, leads me to offer the questionable benefit of my thoughts on the subjects.
For a couple of years, I have been plagued with occasional apparently random EML illumination, accompanied by codes suggesting defective catalytic converters, even though the emissions were well within limits, and performance seemed unaffected according to the butt dynamometer and accelerometer. I changed O2 sensors to no effect, then eventually out on the road, I found that the engine would not rev in 4th, 5th or 6th, and even struggled past 5,000 rpm in 3rd. Long story short; a pair of aftermarket universal cats, with the flanges from the originals to facilitate fitting solved the problem. Removal of the old cats revealed that the material inside the bank #1 component had shifted, presumably a result of blockage, and wiped the end off the downstream sensor. It took 3 attempts to source a replacement which didn't present a P0141 code. All now well, except that the new cats were much less restrictive than the coked up 147,000 mile originals, making the exhaust too loud for daily use, especially when cruising between 1,800 and 2,200 rpm, I think that the acceleration tone is fine:

But the cruising drone drives me crazy, so today the plan is to add some rear silencer boxes, and see / hear where we go from there.
In Britain, leapers are frowned upon on anything which didn't have them originally, which here means anything from Series 1 XJ onwards. I don't find them an offensive addition, but many will not even view a car for sale if so fitted.
Colours and trim; I love the X350/358 shape so much that almost any combination is good, mine is solid black, black interior with aluminium dash etc where most have wood. Not something I especially sought, but I am used to it now.

I have occasionally considered changing the car for a Mercedes S600TT, but they seem to steer like a container ship, and suffer endless expensive suspension and coil problems, the idea of an XKR is very appealing, but a nice 5.0 is a lot more than the value of the XJ, so I will stick with the devil I know, for now at least.

Last edited by Etypephil; 09-22-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts & rubbish spelling.
jazzyjags (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:29 AM
Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a very unusual and beautiful interior. love it.

Etypephil (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 AM

Etypephil - "All the chat about "little troubles" noise, leapers, colours, trim and alternatives, leads me to offer the questionable benefit of my thoughts on the subjects."

The benefit of your thoughts is that I got to see a very interesting layout in your car. Very smart looking and can see how it would appeal to you as it is different from the rest. Other than a Portfolio edition here in the states, I don't think I have ever seen a non wood dash in an XJ, and in our market they almost all have leapers fitted. Even my wife's little X-Type has a leaper on the hood from the factory. (That I find silly but my wife likes it.)

I hope daily that my troubles with the XJR are "little" and enjoy coming here to be able to talk about anything other than politics, Coronavirus, and the impending doom that is our economy. I saw your post at 5am here in the states when I got up for work this morning and just seeing your car and reading the post gave me the first smile of my day. Thanks for that!

The following 2 users liked this post by jluvzcarz:
Colm O (09-22-2020), Etypephil (09-22-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?