XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 02:29 PM
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

PeteK812, that is a real downer. Cats don't like water! Sorry for your loss.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I didn't do anything with my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L today, and let's hope it stays that way.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searched for hours for yet another coolant leak, no luck!

Old 06-21-2021, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

Pete

Thanks for posting but I hate the pictures!

The following users liked this post:
J.A.G. (08-01-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Noah Smith, my '05 XJ8 had a leak, found last year. Turned out to be from the weak hose nipple at the top of the recovery tank. The stem had cracked at the base and there were no signs of leakage. I installed a new recovery tank and my fluid has stayed stable since. Good luck with your leak. I hope it as easy to fix.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:00 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Pete,
That Midas has the lowest cost and lowest elevation.
I'm so sorry about your car. That would make me ill. It's also such a hassle. But at least you get to go car shopping.
And oh, we want to see a photo of that '66 Camaro.

Last edited by Tigre; 06-22-2021 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add silly comment
Old 06-22-2021, 11:52 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteK812
See previous post from 6/4. Took the car back to the shop for final front end alignment after $2000 front suspension replacement, where it was awaiting it's turn when Friday night's thunderstorms brought flash flooding. The shop was filled to 4 ft, as was the parking lot where 5 cars were situated. The 3 newer ones floated long enough for the back ends to drift to a 45 degree angle from where they started, before the water filtered in past the door seals, etc. and let them settle back to earth.

all 4 vehicles were at 90 degrees to the building, parallel to the white truck.

Inside the shop, all the files were in 2 drawer filing cabinets below desk surfaces, those drawers are now pulled out and drip/draining on the floor. Also inside the shop is my friend's 1966 Camaro SS Convertible. Red paint, black top and interior. Both doors open, hood up. Maybe easier to save, since cars were so simple 55 years ago.

State farm will be towing it away to a body shop for an estimate, but I may never see it again, so I went through it and found, among other things, the ashtray, cupholders and cubby all full of standing water, and the glovebox dumped out more water when I fished out the soggy registration, etc. The water seems to have floated some of the dye out of the seats, and I think it made the veneer darker in the shifter surround. The floor mat on the right wasn't anchored down, so it floated and landed on the seat. So wet, so sad. I'd like to get some of that $2000 back, too.

Gold car is gone, '05 is looking dim, '01 VDP is my last Jag...for now. One door closes, another one is open.
Pete, I missed your previous post; my heart bleeds for you. I hope that you get an appropriate insurance payout, and good fortune in finding another car.

ETA: I gave mine a quick wash in preparation for a Jaguar World Magazine photoshoot tomorrow.

Last edited by Etypephil; 06-22-2021 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Fixed my flickering radio backlight by following veteran member Hamilton's instructions.

Still left to do:
1. Repair sagging roofliner
2. Replace sunglass holder as current one opens at slightest bump of uneven road surface
3. Repair or reglue rear seat armrest
4. Repair park lights switch resulting in lights coming on on their own when switch left in Auto.
5. Trace rattle on sunroof and driver window/ door.
6. Repair or find a replacement for my iPod cable head. The current cable head causes audio to come from one side but once one has fiddled with the head somehow, the audio to the other side gets restored.
7. Repaint or replace rear air vent cause the rubberised black paint has come off.
8. Go for a 2 hour long uninterrupted drive in my Cat, listening to my favourite songs.
9. Update forum members on what I did to my X350 today :-)

The following 3 users liked this post by Seth:
Bob Hornby (06-26-2021), indyx358 (06-28-2021), Tigre (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 09:19 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Cat care and feeding time.
New Walbro pump and front Bilsteins.
Previous owner had installed aftermarket front air springs mfg by a company that starts with an A. The left one had a shock that rattled. The right and left seemed to have dissimilar dampening rates which made the front rock side to side on dips.
They were a mess but did not leak air.
The pump however was getting tired also and I would get "air suspension fault" occasionally.
There is no way these cars are worth this kind of repair money. But I went with OEM parts anyway. However, I don't knock anyone who converts or uses aftermarket.
So you would think a cat would be happy after this attention. But no. When I returned from a successful test drive, coolant was spotted flowing underneath. So I got to change a hose under the reservoir also.

Petz (06-27-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:22 AM
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

A bit of bling for the cat. I had the wheels repainted a darker colour which I think suits the car better. it is a Renault colour and I chose it after trolling the new car dealer ships searching for the right shade. The photos show before and after.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Hornby; 07-19-2021 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Wrong photo
Panthro (07-25-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 11:53 AM
Default Serviced it and checked everything over

Beyond fluids and filters it required nothing further. At 151,280 miles it still doesn't need topping up between oil changes.
One of the most consistently trouble free cars that I have ever owned, equalled only by the 3.0 litre X350 which preceded it,

The following 2 users liked this post by Etypephil:
Bob Hornby (07-20-2021), Panthro (07-25-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:01 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default What I've done in the last year or,,,,,,,

"Today" is relative 😁

-So I've changed the alternator; the one that was put on back at re end of 2018 was used, & pretty loud, & started getting louder, meaning the bearings,,,, yeah. So I got a new 1 & changed it along with the Serpentine belt. (Thanks Joe)

-Fuel filter & Mass air flow sensor replaced.

-Coolant reservoir replaced along with coolant bypass hose, radiator flush, engine cleaned, throttle body cleaned.

-Upper radiator hose, VALLEY HOSE & Intake Manifold Gaskets replaced, EGR GASKETS replaced, Fuel pressure regulator & fuel temperature sensor & connector replaced.

-Radiator replaced without having to disconnect the AC line.

If I go back further, I've also replaced the Thermostat Housing, & water pump.

I called Bluff City Jaguar just for the fun of it to hear what they'd say on a few repairs; I asked about the Radiator-$2,000, Water Pump-$1,5000 & Throttle body return hose/Valley Hose-He couldn't even give me an actual price on that. He initially said $875 but wasn't certain he was quoting the correct repair; he then said, "let's just say $5,000 to be on the safe side" 🙄😁

I have to give a MAJOR League shout @joeleerj too! He's a Major factor in me being able to do ANY of this stuff of he's not actually helping me himself!..

Old 07-30-2021, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Marque
"Today" is relative 😁

-So I've changed the alternator; the one that was put on back at re end of 2018 was used, & pretty loud, & started getting louder, meaning the bearings,,,, yeah. So I got a new 1 & changed it along with the Serpentine belt. (Thanks Joe)

-Fuel filter & Mass air flow sensor replaced.

-Coolant reservoir replaced along with coolant bypass hose, radiator flush, engine cleaned, throttle body cleaned.

-Upper radiator hose, VALLEY HOSE & Intake Manifold Gaskets replaced, EGR GASKETS replaced, Fuel pressure regulator & fuel temperature sensor & connector replaced.

-Radiator replaced without having to disconnect the AC line.

If I go back further, I've also replaced the Thermostat Housing, & water pump.

I called Bluff City Jaguar just for the fun of it to hear what they'd say on a few repairs; I asked about the Radiator-$2,000, Water Pump-$1,5000 & Throttle body return hose/Valley Hose-He couldn't even give me an actual price on that. He initially said $875 but wasn't certain he was quoting the correct repair; he then said, "let's just say $5,000 to be on the safe side" 🙄😁

I have to give a MAJOR League shout @joeleerj too! He's a Major factor in me being able to do ANY of this stuff of he's not actually helping me himself!..
Those prices / guesstimates are outrageous.
Surprised that you were able to replace the radiator without disconnecting the A/C; your pipework layout must be different from mine.
https://jagchat.net/thread/2048/radi...hange-x358-xjr
Sorry about the defunct image host; I'll update the photos when I have time / I am bored with working on the house / my wife is watching something unwatchable on TV.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Etypephil
Those prices / guesstimates are outrageous.
Surprised that you were able to replace the radiator without disconnecting the A/C; your pipework layout must be different from mine.
https://jagchat.net/thread/2048/radi...hange-x358-xjr
Sorry about the defunct image host; I'll update the photos when I have time / I am bored with working on the house / my wife is watching something unwatchable on TV.
Phil, that is an AWESOME write up! The last several things I've done, I'm so focused on just getting it done, that I've not taking video or pics like I used to.

As for the lines, it's not any different actually; I just (Not so gently) bent the line at the hose part which gave JUST ENOUGH space to pull the Radiator out. It took me about 15 mins or so to do it, but it was worth not having to bother the AC condenser line.

& yeah, those prices they quoted,,,,,,,,,, 🙄🙄🙄💩💩💩

Etypephil (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Marque
Phil, that is an AWESOME write up! The last several things I've done, I'm so focused on just getting it done, that I've not taking video or pics like I used to.

As for the lines, it's not any different actually; I just (Not so gently) bent the line at the hose part which gave JUST ENOUGH space to pull the Radiator out. It took me about 15 mins or so to do it, but it was worth not having to bother the AC condenser line.

& yeah, those prices they quoted,,,,,,,,,, 🙄🙄🙄💩💩💩
Thanks. I'm retired, so when I'm not doing something on the house or cars, walking the dog, pampering the lady wife etc, I have all the time in the world to write up jobs done. If it helps one other enthusiast, it's worth the effort.
I couldn't see that the A/C pipe could be bent sufficiently without risk of breaking it; well done, everyday is a schoolday.

Old 08-14-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Big Cat adoption

Purchased a 2009 Portfolio. Completed full service off all fluids to performance brands including SC. Located and repaired vacuum leak. Installed CAI with K&N dropi-in. New E3 plugs and coils. Used JLR to update ECU and TCU. Tomorrow full claybar wash and F11 coat.

The following 2 users liked this post by James Teddy Gillis:
Etypephil (08-14-2021), jazzyjags (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Congrats on the new cat Teddy. Looks great.

I wanted to offer some advice, take it if you think it's right for you.

Becareful with the E3 plugs. Every time I ran them in mx xjr they start off great and end up fouling out within a month. I don't know how, but they ruin my coils as well. Had to change a few sets of coils only after running the E3s.

Never had the coil issue with the NGK's though. Maybe it's just my set up. But just keep an eye out. Regardless, nice to see someone taking good care of one of these rare beauty's.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:07 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzyjags
Congrats on the new cat Teddy. Looks great.

I wanted to offer some advice, take it if you think it's right for you.

Becareful with the E3 plugs. Every time I ran them in mx xjr they start off great and end up fouling out within a month. I don't know how, but they ruin my coils as well. Had to change a few sets of coils only after running the E3s.

Never had the coil issue with the NGK's though. Maybe it's just my set up. But just keep an eye out. Regardless, nice to see someone taking good care of one of these rare beauty's.
I've been using them in my 04 R for 3 years now. And trust me they take my beating and have been fire.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:06 PM
Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi.

Have a gorgeous (aren't they all!) 2008 XJ who raised an Air Suspension Fault msg couple weeks ago.

Bought used shock from forum contact an replaced this morning. Codes cleared and all four paws are good and ride height as it should be.

This was driver rear so easier than front I hear but totally easy job. Eatched nice Arnott video on YT and everything as presented...except insyall of shock lower bolt to yrailing arm. My replacement shock was extended about 1" more than old so needed jack to compress it a bit to get bolt in

But holy hell..all the rubber bushes on that wheel are shot!! Can't wait to retire and fix all these things 😊

Old 08-15-2021, 02:12 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by James Teddy Gillis
Purchased a 2009 Portfolio. Completed full service off all fluids to performance brands including SC. Located and repaired vacuum leak. Installed CAI with K&N dropi-in. New E3 plugs and coils. Used JLR to update ECU and TCU. Tomorrow full claybar wash and F11 coat.

Nice, but put NGK factory spark plugs back in...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?