XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What DON'T you like about your XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

WIIIIDE turning radius compared to my old XK8!

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

That such a nice ride with an MSRP of $60k needs all kinds of $$$ and tinkering to get ipod and iphone connectivity.

STILL love the car.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xjpassion
The air suspension and the way it adjust all the time (under rainy condition it could even be a problem),the fluctuation of height,the car movments.
some will say get teh sport suspension version,I got a xjr 30000 miles and it was about the same as the reg xj8,it seems like the air suspension system become loose after 40000 miles with more heights fluctuation ,no leaks ,just loose.

I red some people thinking of getting some winter tires for their xj8 or xjr,i will say do not hesitate 2 sec,go ahead and buy them.
I don't understand the air suspension bit here, the ride height should not alter, merely self levels and his only happens quickly when stationery, on the move it only adjusts very slowly to avoid road road conditions causing suspension movements, the only other feature is the lowering at speed but to be honest i've never noticed it. Having said that the biggest dislike I have is the firmness of the air suspension at low speeds, at high speeds it is superb though, over 90mph mine really starts to work well. Cup holders for me aren't a problem, would never drink in the car! some of the build quality is not as good as my old Mercedes, here i'm talking plastic chromed parts and under body and under bonnet parts and fixtures which look tatty, other dislikes? none really, if I wanted a bigger trunk (boot) i'd have bought something different and I find the seats fine.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed with most thinks above except cup holders. Will never eat or drink in my car anyway. But there are more annoying problems with design and programming.
(1) How can I disable idiotic movement of the seat, steering wheel and pedals every time I enter the car? Beside my age i still moving around quite well and the last thing I need is them to get stack one day, on a long trip, in extreme position. This electric motors have there lifetime and one day will stop working in the list expecting moment.
(2) How can I disable idiotic movement of the mirror, up and down, every time I put car in reversed?
When backing from my garage need to see the sides of the garage door not the pavement of my garage floor. BTW pavement is fine.
I understand that not everything is for everyone but it should be provision to disable this kind of staff.
Got my 2004 xj8 with only 20 k millage a month ago didn't drive much and already not very happy with many details. Would be really pised of if would pay full price for the car, but paid 10 cents on a dollar.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

1) Leave the pedals / steering column adjustment switch on pedals or column, if it's turned to auto everything moves for the entry/exit position.

2) A dealer can turn it off.

3) If you don't like it, sell it.

The following users liked this post:
nlt624 (03-26-2015)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

You can disable the seats moving by moving the switch on the LH side of the steering column from the "Auto" position.
Mirror dipping will either have to be switched off by connecting a Mongoose hooked up to the OBDii socket and disabling it or get a dealer/Indy to hook their Mongoose up to it and turn dipping off.
There are threads explaining how to buy, set up a Mongoose cable/software on the forum.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

At the moment I hate everything and all Jaguar technicians indi or otherwise! I am surprised that Jag didn't fit a " thinking of touching the car " warning light! If I hear um not worked on one of these before I will scream! I love the look of my XJR which was faultless then one thing led to another light to another light caused by an Indi tech which led to another light caused by a main dealer. Thinking I better not pass wind in my car as that will cause a light or by accidentally playing a Justin Bieber song on my radio as that would def cause a warning light. Please just one week without a CEL or a $500 bill would be lovely.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't like the quality from trunk pull down failure to hood ornament falling off. Biggest problem is can't figure out how to take off right side B-Pillar to replace material (shrank when got wet). Also can't get heat our of right side (front) vents. For the price the quality on this car is awful.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a short negative list which is greatly out weighed by the cars greatness

Side pillar blend spot

front cupholders, not deep/large enough

front sensors are too sensitive so I turn them off
rear sensor activates when going out of my garage for the first few feet, also for

backing down by inclined driveway

autowipers are a bit too slow to turn on

RyeJag

Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MOst everything on the car is excellent. We ran almost 6 years without an issue at all. Then... the front CATS / Air Suspension issues. These issues are horrifically expensive to fix and the rebuilt parts are failing almost immediately (my mechanic is replacing them under supplier warrantee since they are failing within weeks of the install, but the hassle is an absolute pain). Hindsight being 20-20, I should have opted for the cheaper traditional coil-over spring conversion and ditched the air suspension.

Now, all that said, if you are seeking an XJ8, the market prices allow you plently of room to afford some front end work. For example, I have recently seen two 2005 XJ8s, each with under 80,000 miles, sell at the $10,000 price level. That is a lot of car for the money even if you throw another $3,000 at front end repair. I know this because I was looking at the market to find pricing as I considered selling off my 2005 XJ8L... after seeing those low prices, I decided to just keep it.

pearlfisher (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomP
These issues are horrifically expensive to fix and the rebuilt parts are failing almost immediately (my mechanic is replacing them under supplier warrantee since they are failing within weeks of the install, but the hassle is an absolute pain). Hindsight being 20-20, I should have opted for the cheaper traditional coil-over spring conversion and ditched the air suspension.
AFAIK, based on what I managed to read, the Arnotts are trouble free, and for the replacement cost, I've seen it done once and definitely would do it myself next time. So just in case I would verify what your mechanic is telling you with some other sources.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Terrible resale value and hard to find buyers.
I've run my for-sale ad for months on 3 major websites and only got 1 phone call.
(05 XJ8L 104k mi, new tune-up, new air suspension, $12995...reasonable price NO???) Trade-in value is only $8000, pathetic.

The Corollas & Civics, on the other hand, are usually gone within days of posting the ad.

Wolfy

Last edited by Wolfy; 05-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like my next car will be a 2005 or newer XJ8L if they really do depreciate like that. I love the looks of the car, the ride, the quiet power and the seats fit me extraordinarily well.

RCT(V) (05-16-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

THE RELIABILITY! Lol, so far with 78k miles I have gone through everything, Radio, A/C blower controller, full suspension, window switches, sun roof, seat warmer, DVD system, Centre console, Sat Nav system, random fault lights....uhg. If I didnt think it was such an amazing car when and if it is working properly, I would have gotten rid of it ages ago. That and it's worth nothing but a song when it's virtually nothing but barely driveable art lol

Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM

I don't like that it dose not rev match on downshifts when in sport mode.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

The traction control and torque management

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Another one on the boot/trunk...though my x358 seems bigger than my 308.... never compaired them side by side as tey are in different countries.

I get a sore knee on the 308 on long drives (RHD) though not felt it so much on the x358 (LHD)..

Entertainment (DVD) is located in the boot....have to stop the car to change......

Cant control the entertainment system from the front, to complicated for the young ones in the back or even older experienced.....

No bluetooth or wired connection for the ipod/music...only for phone which sometimes does not display the contacts list only numbers.

Steering shack on the x358 (small and manageable....just annoying when you notice)...seems random depending on the road surface... appears to be a design fault...never get it on the x308.....

Window wiper water spray always blocking.

central compartment cant hold anything other than a credit card.

X358 - need to master take off from start stop (Heavy traffic....speed bumps) tends to jump between 1st and second which can cause it to lunge forward.

Paint on x358 seems to scratch if look it the wrong way....

Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Bearing in mind I'm in the UK and thus mine is RHD ...

Bonnet (hood) release is on the passenger side (PITA !!)

Indicator/light switch stalk is on the left; wiper on the right. Makes sense on LHD (N.A./Euroland) but not on RHD. My two Hyundais, my old Nissan and even my Merc 190E had the indicator stalk on the right (as did my first car, a Morris 1300).

Erm ... um ... yeh ... can't think of anything else really.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Adaptive cruise...

80% of the time it's great. When it thinks it's time to avoid a collision and jams the brakes, I don't like it so much.

-mag

Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat

Indicator/light switch stalk is on the left; wiper on the right. Makes sense on LHD (N.A./Euroland) but not on RHD. My two Hyundais, my old Nissan and even my Merc 190E had the indicator stalk on the right (as did my first car, a Morris 1300).
Most cars I've driven have them on the left, such as citroen, fiat ford and jaguar.

I think its sort of the norm for cars in UK, though some foreign manufacturers don't swap them for us

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your XJ