XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What DON'T you like about your XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015 | 11:30 AM

We have not experienced as many issues with our 2005 XJ8L. From 2005 to 2013 it was near flawless, covering about 100,000 miles and only needing the radiator overflow tank (plastic) replaced... twice, in fact. While annoying, that is a simple and inexpensive repair. Since 2013, we have needed to replace the front air shocks and compressor system, re-flash the computer with latest updates, do a proper 100,000 maintenance, and replace the throttle body to address some slight throttle "pulsing" at speed (around 115,000 miles). I will probably replace the front shocks again since the Arnott replacements we used are functional, but do make a slight "clatter" noise on rough roads. I've researched it and appears easy enough that I can do the job myself, but the noise is minimal enough that the job can wait for other projects to take priority! Overall I would recommend the 2004-2006 range of XJ8s as a very reliable and very classy used car value.

Old 04-06-2015 | 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

The 20 or so spoked wheels on my XJ8L. They are a PITA to keep clean. I would much rather have a simpler 5 spoke design.

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:16 AM

The only things I've needed on my 2006 XJ is a water pump at 42K, and an Oxygen sensor and new coolant reservoir at 102K. Other than that, it's been flawless.

Old 08-02-2015 | 08:36 AM
MEC

WOW! Interesting list. So having had a Lincoln LS V8 just prior to the 2005 XJR, here is my very short list;

1. Last nav update was 2011. Lot's of road changes since then.
2. Adjustable driver side seat bolsters.
3. More volume adjustment capability for nav, phone.
4. Backup monitor

That all being said, this is a 2005. Many of the issues with this year were corrected moving forward. Overall, this is one of the best driving, handling, responsive sport sedans I have ever owned.

Enjoy!

Old 08-02-2015 | 10:25 AM
Box
Veteran Member

The fact that the X350 no longer uses safety bolts. Thanks Ford. Oh yeah, plastic chrome. Ick.

Last edited by Box; 08-02-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2015 | 01:29 AM

I had a '97 xj6l; had it for 16+ years and 247k miles. The most trouble-free car I've ever owned. Now, with the '95, I love the ride, the handling, the power, etc. etc. But I hate the fact that Ford Ford'ized it. Why does the hood open from the front (like a Ford Crown Victoria) instead of the rear (like my '97)? On the normal/sports tranny switch, why did they go from a toggle switch (that I could feel without taking my eyes off the road) to a push-once to turn on, push again to turn off (you can't feel if it is on or off). If that wasn't bad enough, they only have a little red light on the button (and if you are colorblind in reds and greens like me, it is very hard to see (and of course eyes off the road). And to make matters worse, while they have the same type button for traction/stability AND a indicator in the instrument panel so you know when that is off, they didn't think to put the same thing in the instrument panel for the N/S tranny switch? What idiot thought that one up?

Then, they go from a top fueling location with an auto door lock when the car door locks, to a flimsy side door on the right rear quarter of the car (that looks just like one from a Crown Victoria). Then when you are sitting in the car and want to pop the fuel door that is on the right side, they put the button to the left of the trunk/boot button. If the fuel door is on the right side and you had two side by side switches, one for the trunk and one for the right side fuel door, simple logic would dictate the RIGHT switch would operate the fuel door on the RIGHT. No such luck. It's on the left side.

Bottom line, from my viewpoint, they fixed the problem areas with the x300 and made it a great jag. the x350 is much more like a Crown Victoria than a jag. It looks bloated when compared to the x300. If they had put the engine, tranny, and made the x300/x308 aluminum, then I'd love the car more than my '97. I love driving this one, but looks and logic are too much Ford.

I think it is like a Crown Vic; my wife actually refers to it as our Buick...... (she now prefers driving our Ford Expedition because the x350 doesn't seem to be a Jag as much as an American car....).

Old 08-03-2015 | 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by slmskrs
...the x350 is much more like a Crown Victoria than a jag.
LOL. Now, I know why I bought a jag.

I was shopping for a Crown Victoria and a jag. I ended up buying the jag because it was more like the Crown Victoria that I really wanted.

I'm changing my sig.

Old 08-03-2015 | 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MEC
WOW! Interesting list. So having had a Lincoln LS V8 just prior to the 2005 XJR, here is my very short list;

1. Last nav update was 2011. Lot's of road changes since then.
2. Adjustable driver side seat bolsters.
3. More volume adjustment capability for nav, phone.
4. Backup monitor

That all being said, this is a 2005. Many of the issues with this year were corrected moving forward. Overall, this is one of the best driving, handling, responsive sport sedans I have ever owned.

Enjoy!
Did you go to the Volume Pre-Set on the Menu option? You have to turn on the radio in order to enable changing the pre-sets. I actually had to adjust the phone down a bit since my ring tone was really loud. It was the iPhone Alarm.

Old 08-03-2015 | 02:09 PM

The XJ8L is the best road car I've ever had, including the S430.

I don't like the Jag cost of spares. This forum does a great job of helping owners find sources and alternative parts (such as the interchangeable Ford and Lincoln parts) but I don't like the dealer attitude of 'You bought a Jaguar, so you should not question how much parts or repairs cost'.

It would be nice if the air suspension had a 'speed hump' and 'driveway' mode which would allow you to increase the clearance by an inch on demand.

The occasionally somewhat convoluted engineering which results in somewhat compromised reliability compared to Japanese manufacturers is just a cost of owning a fantastic luxury sport road car. The reliability seems to be better than our friends who have similar vintage and similar mileage BMWs. Another friend who has a Lotus newer than our XJ8 says his Lotus is similar to the old English sports cars I used to own; an hour working on the car for every two hours you drive it.

I did not care for the visibility backing up until I bought and installed a Nav Tools for a backup camera. The left side blind spot was solved with a small stick-on convex mirror.

I don't golf, so the trunk is fine for us. You can fit two average size bodies in there if you put them in fresh when you can position them easily.

Again, this is the best road car I have owned.

Overall, a fantastic car for trips.

Old 08-04-2015 | 08:42 AM
MEC

I have seen a few comments about Ford product integration into the Jaguars. So I have to add this; the best thing that had ever happened to Jaguar was the acquisition by Ford (too soon to see what Tata really brings to Coventry). Yes, there are some Fordish things that made their way into the Jag cockpit. But there is also a lot more reliable Ford technology (especially electrics) that made it into the Jags as well. I am happy with that tradeoff (especially if that toggle switch that went away was made by Lucas :-)). Anyway, the Jag suspension and handling made it into the cars along with some nice updates to the engines and trannies which had a lot of FoMoCo influence as well. Even the integrated Bluetooth phone unit, which was upgraded by Ford, is able to pair with up to 5 phones. So, I am OK with the Ford influence (I also had a Lincoln LS V8 which was nothing more than a Jag S Type with a different body...great car...sold it with no repairs needed in 130K miles).

One final note, my 84 XJS has a reverse opening "bonnet". I MUCH prefer the front opening hood simply because it makes servicing the car easier. Try doing a belt change on a an engine with the belt in front if you have a reverse opening hood. Yes, we lose the "cool" factor, but in this case, the actual visual lines of the car are unchanged.

Still don't like some things, but there is no perfect car out there in my price range.

The following users liked this post:
nlt624 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-05-2015 | 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

The pointer on my NAV screen is almost the same color as the background for the daylight setting. I would like the pointer to be a bright color so it would be easier to see. Even better a would be a choice of colors and icons. My Waze app has that and it's free.

Old 12-25-2015 | 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by slmskrs
But I hate the fact that Ford Ford'ized it. Why does the hood open from the front (like a Ford Crown Victoria) instead of the rear (like my '97)?
Try replacing the engine or radiator and you will see why every car company has the hood open to the front.

Old 12-26-2015 | 07:58 AM
MEC

Let's add a couple of things to that list:

Changing supercharger lube
Changing headlamp bulbs

If one were to check on the reliability of the XJ series (or any Jag for that matter) before and after Ford got involved, one would find that it increased significantly. It also helps that some parts are much less expensive to source because they cross over to some Ford product numbers.

I can say, however, that my 2005 XJR would be a bit better driver if it had adjustable suspension. Probably just due to the fact that it had not been developed by Jag yet. Not sure.

That's about it. Great daily driver....probably best I've owned!

Old 12-26-2015 | 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by MEC
Let's add a couple of things to that list:

Changing supercharger lube
Changing headlamp bulbs

If one were to check on the reliability of the XJ series (or any Jag for that matter) before and after Ford got involved, one would find that it increased significantly. It also helps that some parts are much less expensive to source because they cross over to some Ford product numbers.

I can say, however, that my 2005 XJR would be a bit better driver if it had adjustable suspension. Probably just due to the fact that it had not been developed by Jag yet. Not sure.

That's about it. Great daily driver....probably best I've owned!
What do you mean adjustable suspension? If you still have the factory air setup, it adjusts ride height and stiffness based on cornering angle to reduce body roll.

Old 12-26-2015 | 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by prescottaz
The XJ8L is the best road car I've ever had, including the S430.

I don't like the Jag cost of spares. This forum does a great job of helping owners find sources and alternative parts (such as the interchangeable Ford and Lincoln parts) but I don't like the dealer attitude of 'You bought a Jaguar, so you should not question how much parts or repairs cost'.

Overall, a fantastic car for trips.
I bought my first new Jag in 2002. It had low profile tires and at some point that winter I hit a big pothole and popped the tire and bent the rim. At that time, I didn't realize that you could actually repair them (Obviously I've learned since), so I called my local dealership and reached the parts lady. She is very cute and originally French and has a wonderful accent. I explained what happened, told her about the car and asked her to order a new one for me. She told me the price and in a false-alarm voice I said "I only need one, not four"...she laughed with me and said "Eees a Jaguaaa, what to you eeeeespec?"

My XJ has 18" wheels and I've never popped a tire or bent a rim, but my XK has 20" wheels and I can't hit a pebble without bending something. I keep thinking I ought to change to 19" and maybe not have to cringe at every little bump in the road, but the 20" look good so I haven't brought myself to make the change yet. I think I'll solve the problem by keeping the little cat in her box until all the potholes are fixed in the late spring.

Old 12-27-2015 | 08:47 PM

I learned some interesting things reading the 15 pages of this thread and can't wait to try the engineering test mode.

As for small peeves:

Having to "agree" every time to get the nav screen,

Changing the little parking lights buried deep within the headlight shells,

Having to remove the console and half the dash to replace the clock lamp,

Volume presets that are not available unless the audio is turned on (took a while to figure that one out),

And just recently I found that the trunk (boot) buttons do not operate if the hood (bonnet) is open and you have to use the key to open it manually.

Oh, and I wish the Nav had a choice of a British accent on the US DVD

Old 12-27-2015 | 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by pkoko
Try replacing the engine or radiator and you will see why every car company has the hood open to the front.
Okay, I'll grant you that. The radiator on the X350 seems to rarely leak, but of course mine did and I had to replace it earlier this year. Didn't think once about what additional I would have had to have done if I had to remove the hood first. But there are still things that don't make sense. Yet I still love to drive it.

pkoko (12-29-2015)
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:16 AM

I dont like the fact that I dont have a supercharger!! thats about it ;(

pkoko (12-29-2015)
Old 12-28-2015 | 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philwarner
I learned some interesting things reading the 15 pages of this thread and can't wait to try the engineering test mode.

As for small peeves:

Having to "agree" every time to get the nav screen,

Changing the little parking lights buried deep within the headlight shells,

Having to remove the console and half the dash to replace the clock lamp,

Volume presets that are not available unless the audio is turned on (took a while to figure that one out),

And just recently I found that the trunk (boot) buttons do not operate if the hood (bonnet) is open and you have to use the key to open it manually.

Oh, and I wish the Nav had a choice of a British accent on the US DVD
I have mine set with a female British accent with the US DVD.

Having said that I know I set it for British female voice a while ago and went in to the menu choices the other day and could not for the life of me find where that choice was available!

Ok figured it out just now.

You hit the MENU button to the side of the screen and then choose USER SETTINGS. There you will see LANGUAGE and there you can make your choice.

I was so dumb to think you could use the MENU icon on the NAV screen!

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-28-2015 at 07:52 AM.
philwarner (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015 | 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by prescottaz
You can fit two average size bodies in there if you put them in fresh when you can position them easily.

OK, please define average. In the early 70's John Madden, then coach of NFL's Oakland Raiders was considered obese, by all definitions. Today, a man of that girth (Madden in the 70's), would be considered average.

Please do the math as this may come in handy one day and spare someone from having to make two trips.

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your XJ