XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What DON'T you like about your XJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 166 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatBag
Don't like the motorized glove box door that only catches on one side.
Hi MeatBag,
There is a TSB that deals with this issue.

Hope this helps
Pete M

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
MeatBag (05-20-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rickkk
One thing that I don't like about my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L is that for all intents and purposes, the rear parking sensors are not serviceable. If one of those parking sensors should fail, one will just have to unplug the cable to them, and simply do without that option.
Hi Rickkk,
I believe the parking sensors are available individually. There are a number of threads that deal with identifying the faulty sensor/s and replacing them. It is necessary to remove the front or rear bumper cover, but that is not a difficult task. The sensors are even available at low cost on Ebay or AliExpress if you balk at Jaguar dealer prices.

Parking aid parts

Pete M

Old 05-13-2023, 07:55 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete M
Hi Rickkk,
I believe the parking sensors are available individually. There are a number of threads that deal with identifying the faulty sensor/s and replacing them. It is necessary to remove the front or rear bumper cover, but that is not a difficult task. The sensors are even available at low cost on Ebay or AliExpress if you balk at Jaguar dealer prices.

Parking aid parts

Pete M
Yes, well unfortunately the rear plastic bumper is molded into other plastic structures, and is not detachable without bumping into a real hornet's nest. As for the defective rear parking sensor, that was identified some years ago. In fact, I still have a working replacement sensor that I had ordered on eBay (for what good that did). Actually, the problem with the rear bumper removal was discussed on this forum some time ago.

Old 05-13-2023, 03:43 PM

Yes, well unfortunately the rear plastic bumper is molded into other plastic structures, and is not detachable without bumping into a real hornet's nest. As for the defective rear parking sensor, that was identified some years ago. In fact, I still have a working replacement sensor that I had ordered on eBay (for what good that did). Actually, the problem with the rear bumper removal was discussed on this forum some time ago.
Looking at the threads on rear sensors and rear bumper removal, it sounds like the bumper cover needs to be removed. This is covered by section 76.22.74 in the manual. It's quite a bit of work, but nothing that can't be done with hand tools. It's very similar to the front bumper cover, which is very commonly removed and refitted. It's not molded into other plastic structures. I don't think removing connectors and trim panels is a real hornet's nest. If you are in a rust-belt area some fittings may be corroded, but it's all made to be removed and refitted. If you can work out that the faulty sensor is on a corner, I think that you can access it through the rear light access.

Pete M

Last edited by Pete M; 05-13-2023 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-15-2023, 08:05 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete M
Looking at the threads on rear sensors and rear bumper removal, it sounds like the bumper cover needs to be removed. This is covered by section 76.22.74 in the manual. It's quite a bit of work, but nothing that can't be done with hand tools. It's very similar to the front bumper cover, which is very commonly removed and refitted. It's not molded into other plastic structures. I don't think removing connectors and trim panels is a real hornet's nest. If you are in a rust-belt area some fittings may be corroded, but it's all made to be removed and refitted. If you can work out that the faulty sensor is on a corner, I think that you can access it through the rear light access.

Pete M

No, the entire rear bumper has to be removed in order to access the rear parking sensors, and this was mentioned several times in the threads.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:59 AM

No, the entire rear bumper has to be removed in order to access the rear parking sensors, and this was mentioned several times in the threads.
Just to be clear, do you think that the metal bar at the rear of the car (the bumper) needs to be removed? Or do you mean the entire big plastic molding that sits below the trunk lid and wraps around the sides to the rear wheels? Here's the page from the manual. Bumper cover is the big plastic thing that has the parking sensors clipped into it.

Park sensor replacement
Pete M

Old 05-17-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I have NEVER removed a bumper to replace a parking sensor?
It's only the bumper COVER that needs to be removed? It's a simple process. I do like to use two people so I can set the bumper cover down on some towels when it's removed from the car. Otherwise it is a handful doing it with one person.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have NEVER removed a bumper to replace a parking sensor?
It's only the bumper COVER that needs to be removed? It's a simple process. I do like to use two people so I can set the bumper cover down on some towels when it's removed from the car. Otherwise it is a handful doing it with one person.
I am confused too. It is only the COVER that needs removed, two years ago I think it took me maybe 30 minutes to change out the sensors? It does require two people so it does not fall off, scratch etc.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

1,The cheap sounding beep of the climate control when adjusting the the temperature.
2,Saggy headliners, no excuse for this in modern times.

My main gripe is that i usually like to change cars after a few years but i can't find anything to better what I have. I would love to change to an XK8 but all i see are rot boxes and money pits. I think my X350 has stopped me from ever buying a steel bodied car again

The following 2 users liked this post by Allycat:
meirion1 (06-07-2023), pearlfisher (07-26-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 07:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still in doubt whether i dislike the fuel consumption or the fuel prices. I’ll evaluate again shortly.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Her mood and temperament when she leaks once a month...

She can be catty.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:49 AM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Off center steering wheel and.... long term reliability.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2004 XJR with 220K miles and just bought a 2004 XJ8 with 89K, then right down the road another XJ8 turned up with 37K miles on it, but my wife said no.
I live in Texas, so no rot boxes but the heat does destroy the headliners.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Somewhere comfortable to put my right foot when in cruise control, I am quite tall 6' 2" and this is the worst car for this problem for me.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:26 PM
Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

@Bob Hornby
"...doc, it hurts when I do...."
I have a solution: I just do not use cruise control! With modern traffic congestions only ACC can be usefull and my car is not equiped with it.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 632 Posts

Don't complain about the X350

How would you like to deal with this problem on a 2022 I Pace?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...3V369-7824.PDF

Old 07-27-2023, 07:16 PM
Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts
Old 07-27-2023, 10:38 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Koshka
@Bob Hornby
"...doc, it hurts when I do...."
I have a solution: I just do not use cruise control! With modern traffic congestions only ACC can be usefull and my car is not equiped with it.
In Australia we have much less traffic than in the USA especially in the regions and on our motorways so cruise control is a welcome feature.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Window electrics. Rear window doesn't go up well due to how Jaguar routed the wiring. Front window goes on occasional strike for no apparent reason
2. Rusted tank straps. Replacements no longer available. Aftermarket stainless steel straps look like something made on a lunch break.
3. Lock failures. 3 out of 4 have played up. All FoMoCo parts, not sure which Ford though.
4. Saggy headlining. Mentioned early
5. Corroding window trim
6. Flickery xenons that will cost a ransom to replace
7. Parts availability. Not just basic trim parts. A £300 new drivers switch pack had to be cannibalised because you can't get the folding mirror version anymore. Cracked thermostat housing, so now I have to trust in an unknown aftermarket part.
8. CD player works but doesn't work
9. Terrible radio reception. My other car has a cheapie effort off Amazon. Far far superior reception
10. Sat nav occasionally thinks I am in Southampton when I am in fact in Milton Keynes.
11. Foglight switch positioning.
12. Door straps no longer hold the doors open on a slope

The following users liked this post:
Xeno (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 02:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

1. The seat is made for an obese person. The headrest pushes my head so far forward that I get neck pain, and I think the headrest would break my neck if I crashed.

2. I can't turn the defroster on and off independently of the fan, heat, and cooling settings. This is especially bad at the moment, because I'm trying to fix my A/C, which among other things needs oil, so I mustn't turn it on until it's fixed--which means I can't defrost the window when it fogs over!

3. My right rear-view mirror turns a little bit upwards every time I put the car in reverse, so often I'm taken by surprise on the freeway when I try to check my rearview mirror and all I see is sky.

4. If you park it outside on a very hot day, the car will automatically roll down the windows while you're gone! This car is not designed to be parked outdoors!

5. If I drop something, say for instance the key to the car, between the driver's seat and the hill between the two front seats, it slides under the seat and it's gone, until I have time to remove the seat from the car in order to reach under it. I once spent an hour in a no-parking zone because I dropped my key and it slid under the driver's seat, and I spent that hour poking under the seat with a long screwdriver to get it out, and could have damaged some of the hundreds of wires under there.

6. All electrical cabling is exactly as long as it needs to be, with at most a few millimeters of slack in the cable, making some electrical work take 5 times as long as it would if you had an inch of slack. In general the car seems maliciously designed to make all repairs difficult.

6. There is no drain in the steel bottom of the car, so if I open the door during a downpour, I have to remove both front seats and pull up the carpet to get the water out before it turns moldy. Same thing when the window rain-seal rubber gets old and cracks, and rain gets in through the cracks.

7. Metal-speckled paint is impossible to match when repainting scrapes.

8. Cupholders are bigger than in the X308, but still too small. I read many reviews of Jaguars before buying mine, and this was the #1 reason Americans gave for not buying a Jaguar for more than 10 years. (Europeans seem not to care.) Also, cupholders are cheap and ugly compared to the rest of the interior.

9. No ski-slot between trunk and rear cabin, essential if you buy lumber, which usually is sold in 8' segments.

(I can live with the small trunk only because I'm usually the only person in the car, & so can load things into the back seats.)

Last edited by Xeno; 07-30-2023 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your XJ