XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What DON'T you like about your XJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I know don't if anybody else has ever noticed this but the starter on these cars sounds really cheesy, somerthing like my old 47 Chevy. It sort of grates on the ear. My late model Buick and Lincolns had a refined low key sound compared to the XJ.
The first one I drove, after being out of Jags for some years, had me convinced there was something wrong with the starter. Then I checked out a few others, in my quest for a purchase, and discovered it to be characteristic of the bread. Given that auto mfg's, spend millions getting the various sounds just right it's surprising Jag never got around to this one.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008 XJ8 VDP
Minor dislikes: Power folding side mirrors lack a connection to ignition. It would be great if they folded when I parked the car. Heated steering wheel only operative with heated seats on. A separate switch would be nice when only the steering wheel needs to be heated. Lack of side window sun shades. One piece sunvisors not as nice as the multi-part ones on my Maxima. Lack of factory Satellite radio. Plastic chrome bits throughout the car. Lack of trunk package retaining system.
Nonetheless, a beautiful and responsive car. Third Jag I've owned since my Series III and my XJ-40.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou in Dallas
2008 XJ8 VDP
Minor dislikes: Power folding side mirrors lack a connection to ignition. It would be great if they folded when I parked the car.
Have to stick up for Jag here...they have the option to fold or not fold when you lock the car from the vehicle settings screen and also have a button beside the window switch pack to open/close the mirrors too....so cant even see how its any sort of a problem?????

Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cup holders are small; and you have to slide back the armrest to get to them. I mean really, they couldn't find some space to put them out in the open?

Blind spots; my wife won't drive it because of this (not a bad thing for me). By the way her car is a Tahoe.

The irritating squeaking sound that has been coming from my dashboard around the instrument cluster since about 30,000 miles. I guess when plastic meets wood (I think it's wood) and the temperature changes you get some squeaking. IT DRIVES ME NUTS! Every Ford related product I've owned has coincidentally had this issue. Maybe it's me?

I otherwise love this car...

Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckMR2
Have to stick up for Jag here...they have the option to fold or not fold when you lock the car from the vehicle settings screen and also have a button beside the window switch pack to open/close the mirrors too....so cant even see how its any sort of a problem?????
I don't recall seeing that option on my 05 VDP but I can just press the lock button twice on the key fob and mirrors will fold.

I do use the inside button to fold them every time I pull into my garage since I get the single width door and my wife gets the double wide door for her car.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lou in Dallas
2008 XJ8 VDP
...Plastic chrome bits throughout the car. ..
Can you be more specific? I haven't noticed those on my 05 but I do remember there was a significant reduction of "quality parts" in the S-Types when I replaced my 04 with an 07.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Another dislike I have is the lack of adjusting mirror when put into reverse so you can get a peak at the curb your parking into. My 2003 E class had this...

Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

I had the same thing with the radio stations on my '08 XJ nav / audio screen. It looks like the computer is trying to be "too smart" and let you know what song is playing on the other stations...anyway, last service I mentioned it and they said they could fix it (some internal setting)...and they did. All I've got now it station frequencies...and no charge to boot! Hope this helps...

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM

The nasal honk honk from the rear of the car when the doors lock...sounds very Honda Civic...only complaint so far...04 XJ8

Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
I don't recall seeing that option on my 05 VDP but I can just press the lock button twice on the key fob and mirrors will fold.

I do use the inside button to fold them every time I pull into my garage since I get the single width door and my wife gets the double wide door for her car.
On the touchscreen on mine its under:-
MENU then
VEHICLE SETTINGS
The option is to have AUTO FOLD ON or OFF
If ON is selected the mirrors fold with the fob (and key I think) and if off they dont which is handy for winter as it saves them getting stuck when folded back with the ice.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carmat731
Cup holders are small; and you have to slide back the armrest to get to them. I mean really, they couldn't find some space to put them out in the open?
To me this is ingenius.
You wouldnt use the hidden cupholders when driving only when stopped or parked up.Then when driving the armrests slides over the cupholders giving more room to rest your arm on...luxury!
It also means the cupholders arent in the dash (like some VW/Audi/etc) so you have a bigger touchscreen and arent out in the open spoiling the interior!
Ingenius again!
Boy I love this car.....

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (12-25-2015)
Old 02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The mirrors can be programmed to dip individualy when the car is put into reverse. You will need the Jaguar interface. There is about 10-20 different options on these cars that can only be programed at the dealship or with the proper interface tool. I know a few options are dipping mirors, day time running light, turning off the folding mirrors option and radio station numbering. I went through them with my mechanic and set the car up to my preferences.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Drew
I know a few options are dipping mirors, day time running light, and radio station numbering. I went through them with my mechanic and set the car up to my preferences.
Can do these without dealer on touchscreen too (if you mean radio station names just press and hold the frequency on the touchscreen and the number is replaced with the name)

Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not like that the the trunk is unlocked and accessable whenever the car is unlocked. As well you cannot exit the car without all of the doors becoming unlocked.
brdave

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
The mirrors can be programmed to dip individualy when the car is put into reverse. You will need the Jaguar interface. There is about 10-20 different options on these cars that can only be programed at the dealship or with the proper interface tool. I know a few options are dipping mirors, day time running light, turning off the folding mirrors option and radio station numbering. I went through them with my mechanic and set the car up to my preferences.

thanks drew, that's good to know. Two of my dislikes are off the list

The following users liked this post:
SaturnV (03-10-2013)
Old 02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There's not a lot not to like really!

My mirrors dip when I reverse, and fold away when I park, so I guess that option works on mine.

CD changer being in the trunk is a little inconvenient.

I hated the OEM Conti's - they were far too frail for a Canadian winter.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't fold the back seats down for long items. Oh, rear mulitimedia. A dvd is what couple hours or so, if you finish one, you'll have to pull over to put another in, since they put the player in the trunk

Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell
Can you be more specific? I haven't noticed those on my 05 but I do remember there was a significant reduction of "quality parts" in the S-Types when I replaced my 04 with an 07.
Sure, on MY '08 the side fender vent covers are plastic chrome look, the roof trim appears to also be some sort of plastic or composite chrome look pieces, door handles, same goes for the grill inserts, and the parking brake handle appears to be the same. You can tell by comparing the feel and heft of similar pieces in the older Jag models which were true metal pieces that were chrome-plated. I recall my Series III VDP bumpers, door handles, and how nice they were along with the grill and door lock buttons and escutcheons - all real chrome-plated metal. I understand that most mfrs have abandoned true chrome -plating of metal due to environmental concerns. I saw this discussed in a website for a company that re-plates original chrome-plated wheels using a different process that is claimed to be environmentally safer than the original process.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 PM

On the touchscreen on mine its under:-
MENU then
VEHICLE SETTINGS
The option is to have AUTO FOLD ON or OFF
If ON is selected the mirrors fold with the fob (and key I think) and if off they dont which is handy for winter as it saves them getting stuck when folded back with the ice.
OK. Thanks. I looked in my owner's manual and found I had the power fold mirror setting turned on. The automatic power fold works by using the "global closing" feature. Either by using the driver's side key and holding it back for two seconds or by pressing the lock button on the remote twice. It was never a problem. I just wish I did not have to remember to press another button when I parked. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Can do these without dealer on touchscreen too (if you mean radio station names just press and hold the frequency on the touchscreen and the number is replaced with the name)
I tried this and the numbers changed back to names within a few minutes. ?

Quick Reply: What DON'T you like about your XJ