XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What to look for ????? For first time buyers on used XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for ????? For first time buyers on used XJ8

Hi,

I posed earlier about the possibility of buying a 2004 xj8 with 195000 miles. Yes ...correct... 195000. What should I look for? Obvious are leaks and trouble codes on the dash. How do I check to see if codes are stored or hidden? (scanner right?) Really concerned about suspension problems. The guy said I might need a new shock sometime. (according to dealer, buy he says its fine) How do I perform an air ride check? I read the owners manual and learned a little. But please help me figure out what to look for. There is an independent dealer down the road that works on mercedes, jag, bmw etc....should i take it there and ask them to look it over for a fee? Maybe have them do a compression check??? I test drive it on Saturday. Anyone in Virginia near Williamsburg, Gloucester, Hampton area? thanks for your help and time. I really need it

Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

I'm no expert on the 04 and up XJs, but there isn't a whole lot of 'common' issues. The two that I hear most are the air suspension and throttle body. If the car raises up on ignition, rides fine in all modes, and releases the air upon sitting...its doing its thing and you'll be hard pressed to be able to find anything wrong with it. Most often the air springs or the compressor are the culprit (aside from the one owner who found a corroded fusebox that affected his air suspension system).

I have talked at length with my service adviser at jaguar, and he says since the 2004 is the first of the x350 MY, they are the most often seen in the service dept. He gave me advice, if I was to buy one to look at the 2005 and up.

the 2004 has the 4.2L tried and true engine and pretty sure the 6hp26 ZF tranny as well. Don't worry about those, except for a visual inspection for leaks. There's a couple items on the tranny that can leak, but they're minor. You can do a search in that area of the forum for related items.

I'd definitely pay someone to check out the suspension and wear items (like brakes, hoses and belts) just to make sure you're not missing something that they are trained to observe and repair.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First, make sure all lights on the dash turn on when you first turn the key. The system will light all warning lights when the key is in the ignition. Compare it with the user manual picture. These are computer controlled cars and will let you know if there is a problem. Suspension should be tight with no play. Move the wheel left and right when driving. She should respond with minimal delay. Make sure you drive the car cold. The 04 have had problems with torque converter lock-ups. When she starts to warm up and driving at a constant acceleration the RPMs can bounce or the car lunges forward. Its the converter lock-up engaging and disengaging. All recalls should be performed, TCM reprogram, brake line corrosion inspection, etc. Check for leaks! These cars have a under pan and you can't see anything without a lift and removing it. Find a garage near the car what will put it up on a lift. Certain items should have been replaced and make sure he has reciepts. Like control arms all the way around, plugs, water pump, all fluids and belts.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM

wow thats great info thank you so much

Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

There have also been paintwork problems with the early cars, in the form of bubbling under the paint due to corrosion. Points where it occurs is about 1/3rd down on D posts where there is a TIG weld for the roof to the body, and also at leading edge of trunk lid, and some other points at bottom of rear screen seal. Also it can creep out from the 'Jaguar' chrome finisher at back of trunk lid. However on 195,000 miles things like this won't really worry you, I would think. Jaguar put them right on warranty so any on this car should have been dealt with.

Lets face it, the car has got to 195000 miles in 6 years so it's hardly been a lemon.

Check for the service records, though !!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Drew, by checking to see that all the warning light come on when ignition is turned on....i am tryin to see if one is out correct? Possibly someone took out the bulb to it so it doesnt show? (very sneaky) Is that possible to do with these? How long does it take to take off the belly pan underneath car.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

195,000? That thing is done!

Jaguars really don't have a reputation for longevity!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 AM

10-12 bolts and screws hold the pan on. It should only take 15-20 mins. to remove it. Also, check under the spare tire. Some cars had a leaky rear window or body panel that allowed water in the trunk. Also, yes to the the service lights, make sure none are burnt out etc or removed... This motor is also a solid lifter motor, so excessive engine noise will not just be a stuck hydrolic lifter. If you never been in one of theses cars before the brake light stays on until you press the brake pedal and shift gears. It's just letting you know the parking brake is on. Make sure that works too.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM

ok thanks drew...i sure wish i had you riding shotgun with me when i go testdrive in an hour

Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

what were u trying to say about the encessive engine noise drew? not sure i understand

Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM

well test drove it. Oil was way below hatch marks....and air suspension fault popped up...it drove fine tho! Nice and tight suspension but i did hear like a hissing air noise from engine bay with engine on. what things could the air fault code be?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

That hissing you heard could be the air suspension leaking, hence the air suspension fault code.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Does it hiss with the engine off, because the air pressure should remain after switch off. If the car rapidly sinks, then there must be a leak, I would think. Oil should be on the mark, if its low it would seem to be neglected.

Are there any service records ?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM

he didnt show me any...he said he can get them ...but i think im backing out

Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Valve and lifter noise. The lifters are solid and not hydrolic. A loud tapping sound like metal on metal or tick, tick tick. Most cars have a hydrolic lifter that fills with oil and adjusts to the pushrod or valve length as it wears. Theses cars don't. The enigne is designed to wear at the same rate to prevent excessive noise. I don't know the complete science on it, but there are a couple tech on this forum that might help out or correct me. They all tick alittle because of the solid lifters. Did you buy the car?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM

I missed the second page of this thread There is a chrome round looking valve that does make a hissing noise and I do believe its on the right side of the motor....My mechanic said that is normal. Don't forget the engines does have 195,000. She is more than likely going to burn some oil and I would ask the owner to get a leak down test.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

hey drew....nope i didnt buy it...i didnt want to spend 5000....i offered 4500 for it. it had 191000 miles on it afterall.. I loved the navagation system and the way it handled and drove for such a big car but I think ill take my chances on shares of citigroup stock instead of taking a chance on this thing. I dont have the funds to cover any major repairs. was really close to going for 5000 but backed out because i was so disgusted with how low the oil level was in the car......to me .....i think it was neglected once the owner decided to sell it.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is clear I was talking about the rear end yesterday cause I baught an xj8 1996 in 2000 and after one week the rear end was to be changed and start being very noisy,I baught a 1999 xj8 and after one week,i needed to redo the distribution due to bakelite tensioner who break easily,then i got a x350 and spend 4500 euros in suspension triangles and compressor suspension tires prematurely replaced and no changes in handling....so i am talking about 3 cars I baught here in france and needed major repair that were not so well welcome and added nothing to the vehicule...I was not joking at you ,it was indeed my own poor experience...these were under 60000 miles ,2 were under 40000 miles indeed!

you got it at Jaguar it is not necesary better and more reliable but they charged you $5000 more in case of trouble and to fix it under the warranty they are offering...no surprise...
see how things turned out with the 5th one in france,,I got 5 cars and 4 time big troubles indeed.call me a noob or an idiot and i am sure you will do better even if the car is 250 000 miles..

Last edited by xjpassion; 07-19-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

xjpassion's cars seem to always give trouble no matter what, and we also know from this forum that Jaguars are not total perfection, but people seem to like them and get on well with them, so why so much trouble for one person ? Are the bad cars finding xjpassion, or is xjpassion finding the bad cars ?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM

he lowered price to 4500....what do u think .......im not sure now...maybe good deal even tho suspension light on

Quick Reply: What to look for ????? For first time buyers on used XJ8