XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What is this part on the Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is this part on the Intake

I knew what this was called once, forgot it and then cant find it anymore to see what its called. It's leaking air and so i gotta replace it which will be a sucky job but if you know what its called that'd be great. also if you know of a place with instructions for replacement that'd be great. right now im planning on removing the intake manifold to get better leverage on the bolts under it as they are rusted on there like crazy. already attempted to unscrew them and failed miserably. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2021, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR)

Old 08-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyrum Lindquist
I knew what this was called once, forgot it and then cant find it anymore to see what its called. It's leaking air and so i gotta replace it which will be a sucky job but if you know what its called that'd be great. also if you know of a place with instructions for replacement that'd be great. right now im planning on removing the intake manifold to get better leverage on the bolts under it as they are rusted on there like crazy. already attempted to unscrew them and failed miserably. Thanks!
I removed the egr valve the other day on my 4.2 NA 2006 XJ just to see how clogged up or not it was, it wasn't bad at all I gave it a clean up and put it back on with new gaskets. Now removal was easy enough, I firstly gave all the bolts alot of squirts of Wd40 in between alot of wire brushing until the bolts were clean. At that point and only at that point (take the time to wire brush these bolts to within an inch of their lives) I took a ratchet ring spanner where the ring part angles from the main body of the spanner for good access. I then undid the 2 bolts that come up from underneath the egr valve, once you break open each bolt they undo easily, and I had removed the 2 coolant hoses first, also take note of which way round the coolant hoses connect to the egr. It is fiddly getting your fingers under to remove the last bit of each bolt but certainly do-able. I then removed the bolts from the side that go into the throttle body these were very simple, again they were brushed first. The difficult bit I found was putting it back on, the bolts that come into the egr from underneath are an absolute git to put back and I dropped a bolt 4 times, but managed to use a long stick magnet to retrieve them, so make sure you have a long stick magnet on standby in case. As soon as you've got the bolts started by a turn or two then it's easy again, just get your spanner on and do them up, and then the throttle body bolts are really easy. I started with the bolt nearest the front of the engine out of the two that come up underneath. Make sure you've got both new metal gaskets and it'll all be fine. I found it's most important to use a toothbrush sized wire brush to clean clean clean and then clean some more til everything shines as far as the bolts go with lots of wd40, can't emphasise the time taken to clean the bolt heads and any bolt thread that shoes through enough first of all.

Regards

Mark

Old 08-09-2021, 11:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys! that's what it was. racked my brain for so long trying to remember it. also thanks for the instructions and how you did it. ill have to clean the ones underneath some more because those are really on there.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

+ 1 on Mark; I found that a blob of 'bluetack' in the ratchet ring spanners 'jaws' held the bolt in place sufficiently for me to get it started?

The following users liked this post:
Mark M (08-10-2021)