XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

wheel bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bolt

I have a 2004 xj8. I tried to remove the rear offside wheel to repair a slow puncture but one of the bolts won't unscrew. I'm told that the whole hub unit has to be replaced. Is that true?

Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hopefully someone will chime in with an answer for you.

The following users liked this post:
isarobertson (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,227 Likes on 2,370 Posts

OK so it sounds like you're referring to a lug nut? And the only issue is that it's seized on?

The OEM lug nuts are notoriously bad and should be replaced. (all of them). You can replace them with Toyota lugs as they are 1/2 *20. The nuts should be mag style which means they are flat against the wheel with a washer. If not, they may be conical shaped but we're getting ahead of our selves a bit.

The OEM lug nuts are bad because they are a steel lug but have a thin stainless steel cover over them and this "cover" gets rounded out by gorilla mechanics who don't understand the meaning of proper torque.

If all you have is a lug nut that you can't remove, NO, you do not need to replace the hub. You do need to get the lug off and unless you have some proper equipment, take it to a tire shop. (a different one if yours told you the hub needed to be replaced.)

You or the shop, can try to remove the outer stainless steel shell with a very sharp chisel. I use a thin sharp wood chisel actually.
Once off, you can see if the nut underneath is rounded too.

If it isn't rounded, apply heat, cold and a lot of liquid wrench before attempting to remove. Coca Cola is also very good at eating rust (regular, not diet).

If it is rounded, then the bolt has to be split or cut. This can be done but be aware, it's a nasty little job and takes time. The bolt may shear which is fine because they are replaceable.

Lastly, and I hope others chime in because I no longer have my XJ to confirm, but lug bolts themselves, are pressed into the hub from behind They are splined and have a fat head which keeps them from pressing all the way through. If you can access them from the backside, you may be able to grind off the head of the bolt and then simply use a punch and drive it out.

Here's some more about it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lug-nut-35660/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lug-nut-23162/

Last edited by Sean W; 10-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:12 AM

Thank you very much Sean W. Actually the dealership told my mechanic about replacing the hub unit! I'll show him your message and take it from there. Many thanks again.
Isa

Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I had it happen to one of the lug nuts on a rear wheel when the car was only a few months old.

Chisel or use a hole saw to cut the lug nut off. Be aware, I understand the studs are hardened. The studs are pressed in from behind. My shop was able to get the old one out and the new one in without disassembling the hub.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Default rhankey

Originally Posted by rhankey
I had it happen to one of the lug nuts on a rear wheel when the car was only a few months old.

Chisel or use a hole saw to cut the lug nut off. Be aware, I understand the studs are hardened. The studs are pressed in from behind. My shop was able to get the old one out and the new one in without disassembling the hub.
Thank you for your help. I hope the mechanic will be able to get the lug off now!

Old 10-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,227 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Any updates on this?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM

I haven't heard anything from my mechanic so I think I'll have to try another one!
I'll certainly let you know what happens.
Thanks for your interest.