XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Wheel vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Holy cow... they checked the new front tires and they see the same flat spots I see in both of them. Brand new flippin' tires. Only I could have that bad luck. I'm done with Pirelli. They are going to change them out, just need to pick new ones. Plan is to change out the fronts, make sure I'm happy with the ride, then do the rears.

Wingrider is happy with his Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus, also looked at Coni ProContact and Conti PureContact LS online as comparable tires. The kid at the store thought I would hear more road noise with the Michelin Pilots. He said the PureContact LS would be quieter/softer for me. All are within the same price point of the Pirelli P7. Like asking someone to pick their favorite child... but anyone in this thread have thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
JX350 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You should be the guinea pig and try the Vredesteins! Tirerack Comparison I have the Pilot Sports on mine and they are fine with good handling, some high speed noise but not much, could be a little softer on hitting bumps.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

I'm sure that Michelin makes a better tire, than the ones that i bought.
Was looking at the price of four, which was almost a thousand dollars.
Have had good luck with the brand on motorcycles
These tires seem fine on the Jaguar, ride is as good as the roads.
Which could be better, but on nicer roads, a very smooth ride.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Reading through tire reviews is a good way to go crazy... so many people trying tires in different sizes on different vehicles... what one person hates is what another loves.

All the above tires are within 0.1 of each other on most of the ratings, but based on the TireRack score for noise and comfort I ordered a set of the Conti PureContact LS. Also it looks like the PIlot Sport 3+ are on the way out, since Michelin now sells the Sport 4. We will see what happens when they put these on.

You should be the guinea pig and try the Vredesteins! Tirerack Comparison I have the Pilot Sports on mine and they are fine with good handling, some high speed noise but not much, could be a little softer on hitting bumps.
Ha! A guinea pig is something I'm not willing to be with tires I tried to solve one out of round tire problem and the shop sold me 2 new out of round tires

Old 05-06-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

I have always upgraded the tires, when they do, there's a reason they do.
He who's not busy being born, is busy dying.
This goes for us all, even tire co's.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Had the Contis put on this afternoon. I talked to the guy at the shop and asked what they allowed in terms of road force numbers. All the times I've been there, they threw the tires on the rim, inflated it, balanced it, and done. As long as they were seeing a road force number < 25 lbs they would let it go. Even if indexing the tire could achieve a lower force number,they weren't going to spend the time on every tire doing that. This time they put extra effort in it for me. He found one of them at 17 lbs, so they indexed the tire and got it to 10 lbs. The other balanced immediately with 9 lbs of force. Amazing difference! I took it out on the highway tonight and it's like a new car. Quieter than I ever remember it being before too. Can have a conversation in the front seat with no effort.

Will go back and get Contis on the rear in a couple of weeks.

I can't believe it took all this just to get rid of one tire worth of vibration. Fingers crossed this is it. Will be taking the car on a 300 mile trip this weekend, should make it so much nicer.

The following 2 users liked this post by mhamilton:
JX350 (05-12-2020), paydase (05-09-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Believe they bought General Tire several years ago.
They came out with a silicon compounding for motorcycle tires.
That i saw at a trade show several years ago.
Said the tire would last for many more miles.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Can't believe that the new tyres were what I thought, that they had flat spots also. The tyre will hop if flat or off round. That's not bad luck in my opinion. I bet they have not been stored properly and end up with the deformity. I guess they were sitting incorrectly somewhere since production on the seventh week of 2019. Or was the tyre manufactured in 1919 instead

Glad to hear things are much better now after replacing the tyres for something else. Hopefully you'll now be able to enjoy the cars superb ride.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Had the Contis put on this afternoon. I talked to the guy at the shop and asked what they allowed in terms of road force numbers. All the times I've been there, they threw the tires on the rim, inflated it, balanced it, and done. As long as they were seeing a road force number < 25 lbs they would let it go. Even if indexing the tire could achieve a lower force number,they weren't going to spend the time on every tire doing that. This time they put extra effort in it for me. He found one of them at 17 lbs, so they indexed the tire and got it to 10 lbs. The other balanced immediately with 9 lbs of force. Amazing difference! I took it out on the highway tonight and it's like a new car. Quieter than I ever remember it being before too. Can have a conversation in the front seat with no effort.

Will go back and get Contis on the rear in a couple of weeks.

I can't believe it took all this just to get rid of one tire worth of vibration. Fingers crossed this is it. Will be taking the car on a 300 mile trip this weekend, should make it so much nicer.
Can anyone even feel a difference with road force moving from 20 to 10 lbs? Or is it just too small of a difference to tell?