XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

When a Jag goes from being an old car to a classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 03:07 PM
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
Default When a Jag goes from being an old car to a classic

Very interesting set of charts

"https://www.carvertical.com/blog/research-which-cars-suffer-from-depreciation-the-most'

In 10 years a Jag loses 86.7% of its value, but is considered to be the 5th best.

The article writes:

5. Jaguar (-86.7%)
Just like other cars on this list, Jaguars are classy, luxurious, and attractive. While Jaguars weren’t considered reliable for many years, the latest models prove the critics wrong.
Jaguar became famous for manufacturing sports cars and luxury sedans but recently, it has stepped into the SUV and EV market to expand its lineup.
Some of the earliest Jaguars (like the 1966 XJ13) cost millions of dollars, but you can find used models even for a couple of thousand. When you’re buying a Jaguar, you’re paying for the brand. Even second-hand Jaguars can be pricey, driving the brand’s overall residual value up.

Interesting that a BMW is the worst

For a Jag, a 2005 has hit the bottom of the curve and now will start increasing in value. This has an impact on questions like ripping out the air suspension and replacing it with springs/shocks. The collectible will be those best maintained as they were designed.

The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 08:16 PM
Received 276 Likes on 213 Posts

There is no point in buying an X350/X358 as an investment. Just enjoy it. Sure it's "the last of the classics" body-wise, and all reports are that it's a top car- problems on this forum notwithstanding.
I also own a small Mercedes, and since owning notice them everywhere. The Jag, any Jag, is relatively rare. It's a niche market, IOW most of the populace are Ignorant!
My Merc is for sale. My Jag? wash your mouth out.

But investment-wise, the only Jags with realistic investment value are the older sports cars and the Mk2. Why the Mk2 is so valuable beats me, it's small and cramped, yet the 60's S-Type derived from it and I once owned, was a major step up and yet unloved. I could cry here... The Mk10 I once owned is also unloved, I'm crying twice now.

So enjoy your car, but don't even think of it as an investment unless it's "one of the few".
For myself, I took to buying 1/18th classic model Jaguars, sometimes at up to $1000 apiece. Yes, for a model. And yes, my wife thinks I'm a nutter too.
(that's $NZ, only about $US700. I wouldn't want people thinking I went overboard...)

Last edited by ChrisMills; 02-17-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:46 PM
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
There is no point in buying an X350/X358 as an investment. Just enjoy it. Sure it's "the last of the classics" body-wise, and all reports are that it's a top car- problems on this forum notwithstanding.
I also own a small Mercedes, and since owning notice them everywhere. The Jag, any Jag, is relatively rare. It's a niche market, IOW most of the populace are Ignorant!
My Merc is for sale. My Jag? wash your mouth out.

But investment-wise, the only Jags with realistic investment value are the older sports cars and the Mk2. Why the Mk2 is so valuable beats me, it's small and cramped, yet the 60's S-Type derived from it and I once owned, was a major step up and yet unloved. I could cry here... The Mk10 I once owned is also unloved, I'm crying twice now.

So enjoy your car, but don't even think of it as an investment unless it's "one of the few".
For myself, I took to buying 1/18th classic model Jaguars, sometimes at up to $1000 apiece. Yes, for a model. And yes, my wife thinks I'm a nutter too.
(that's $NZ, only about $US700. I wouldn't want people thinking I went overboard...)
Big difference between a classic car and an investment.

An investment is the pleasure of the rich, often trailer queens that go to concours. A classic car is the pleasure of an enthusiast.

A classic car is often a car of one's youth, the neighbour who drove the coolest car on the street; the car featured new in car magazines of ones puberty years. Or sometimes a hobby taken up by the maverick who notices how bland contemporary cars are in contrast to older cars and looks for something with more character.

Some cars like Jaguar become classics easily. Others, like the Vauxhall Victor only become classics when they are almost completely extinct. A classic car's value curve is gentle. At the bottom, it is worth several thousand in OK condition with the almost perfect example perhaps 3X - 5X. But then, as it achieves classic status - typically about 20 years, the prices begin to rise. Not dramatically, and there are far better ROI that classic cars, but they do go up.

An investment car is an entirely different beast. A 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, that cost $18,000 in 1962 ($180,000 in 2023 dollars) sold for $48 million. That's an investment.

An old car is what your son buys when he gets his first job at McDonald's. Right now, if he wants to stand out in the crowd (and perhaps dresses like Jacob Rees-Mogg) he can buy a Jaguar X type or even S type cheap as chips.

If one keeps a classic car long enough, it will appreciate enough to justify the vice to ones wife. I am able to show I made money on most - Bristol 409 paid $7,000, sold $35,000, Alfa Spider paid $2,000, sold $12,000, but of course I never mention the hours I put in or the parts I purchased. I did miss one investment in my life. After a crash, my neighbour was told by his wife his racing days were over. He offered to sell me his Siata 208S for $300 ($3,000 in 2023 dollars) Last time I looked they were selling for over a million. And sadly, after he gave up racing he took up flying and failed to calculate weight and balance correctly and killed himself taking off on a too hot and humid morning in the Bahamas. Very sad.

In my view, the X350 is on the cusp of becoming a classic, and because of the billion dollars Ford dumped into it, is a worthy purchase. They are lovely to drive, relatively easy to work on, and except that consumables of tyres, brakes and oil also includes the air suspension, are gentle on the wallet provided they are kept up, garaged and regularly serviced. But as an investment - no. The only way they can be considered an investment is if one otherwise is planning to buy a new car and suffer the depreciation. Right now the X350 is at the bottom of the curve; it's as depreciated as it is going to get

Unless ICE fuel is outlawed which is the great question about the future of classic cars.

Last edited by x350; 02-17-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:49 PM
Received 276 Likes on 213 Posts

A Classic Car is defined by Classic Car Insurance companies (or the one I enquired to) as >20yrs old (or something special about it). There may also be an import rule.
When I enquired about insuring my 2008 XJ6 as a classic car, they burst out laughing...

Old 02-18-2023, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

My 2009 MG TF is now a "classic car" according to a UK insurer that insures classic cars, so it's now on such a policy. Of course, I don't get business use or commuting, but I've been retired 11 years . I do have a mileage restriction, but last year only did 900 miles in the car ! OK, I need to take it our more, but the missus prefers our SLK !