XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Where to tap into constant 12V +

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where to tap into constant 12V +

I'm in the middle of installing the DICE FM-RDS USB Pro so I can use a Sirius Connect tuner, and the FM-RDS USB has a 12V + input wire in addition to a switched 12V + wire.

I used the accessory outlet (switched) to test, but would like a constant 12V + for the final install. I'm not sure but I think the Sirius Connect module uses it for channel updates.

Where can I tap into constant 12V + ? Anywhere near the glove box, or do I have to run out to somewhere under the instrument cluster?

TIA!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a 12v outlet in the glovebox which is switched. This is what I used to power my DICE RM-RDS USB Pro. The DICE works as advertised, but sound quality is not as good as the CD player. I have played a song through the iPhone and the same song through the CD switching back and forth. There is a substantial loss in fidelity playing through the DICE. I know it is not the iphone as I have conducted the same test on my home stereo and cannot detect a difference. I am going to try a different frequency on the DICE, but I am thinking that I need to switch out the DICE to the Jaguar ACM unit.

Also the RDS capability in the X350 is disappointing as it only uses a partial line on the display for RDS.

Best of luck

The following 2 users liked this post by MickJagguar:
jadedragon1800 (04-23-2011), sleepyastronaut (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Mick, all you have said is correct. I'm not floored by the sound quality of the FM-RDS Pro, but I am surprised at how good it is for an FM modulator. I looked at the ACM, and I don't want to put all that complicated circuitry in without a guarantee that it will be reliable. Also, the pull-over and shut off the car to switch between aux-in and CD changer thing is stupid.

Also, not that it makes much of a difference, but if you put the song on your iPhone, it's likely you used a lossy compression algorithm, like mp3 or aac. The compressed file will sound somewhat different than full CD qualtiy.

Still in search of a constant 12v+ ....

Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sleepyastronaut & Mick Jagguar: great info one the DICE unit. however, on a scale of 1 -10, where would the sound quality fall? i realize it will not be digital quality as in a proper CD changer, but is it that bad? i'm wondering about the spill over from other stations and how well it can be tuned out. i plan on just playing my ipod on it. also is the constant 12v necessary, or you would just prefer it that way, sleepyastronaut? also, the stopping of the car and turning it of and all that...is that for the ACM or the DICE unit? MickJagguar, any issues due to having it hooked up to the switchable 12v vs constant 12v? thanks for sharing your experiences, wm

Last edited by jadedragon1800; 04-23-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: addressed question to wrong person.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I'm deciding between FM Modulators that support RDS and those who don't. I know my '07 supports RDS but it's not implemented very well...
So for you that have installed the DICE - how well does the RDS work? Is it worth the extra $60 or so just to have RDS?

/Mike

Old 04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jadedragon1800 On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the DICE as a 6 or 7 as compared to the cd player.

Sleepyastronaut I understand that ipod uses a lossy compression (AAC), you probably missed the part in my post where I mentioned that the same comparison on my home stereo yielded very little difference between the iPhone and the cd. A lot of fidelity is lost through the FM modulator. I am not detecting spill over from other stations. From a power perspective it works fine plugged into the 12V outlet in the glove box. Also I had to pull the center console and the navi head to install the DICE, it would have been about the same effort to of installed the ACM.

Diverguy- I am very disappointed with Jaguar's implementation of RDS. It is only shown on a small part of the display. I do not believe it was worth the extra money.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Diverguy, i agree with MickJagguar, RDS is so ill-designed in the jaguar system. save your money! you won't miss the RDS!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 AM

Mick- You are correct, I did not catch where you tested the cd vs. the ipod on your home stereo.

Diver- The ability to play track names over RDS made the FM-RDS Pro the obvious choice over the ACM for me. I only played with it for a few minutes today and it is cool for what it is. You get a scrolling list of artist / track / album or something similar. The tracks load a little slower than they do on the Pioneer HU in my VW but I'm not disappointed. The antenna is isolated when the unit is in use, so with the unit paused you hear whatever is on the station, and when you play, you hear a faint click as the antenna is disconnected and static turns to quiet before the song starts up. I'm very satisfied, especially for the price.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

All good guys, but what about an answer to the original question.

Where to tap in for a constant 12V?

The following users liked this post:
sleepyastronaut (04-24-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 PM

I ended up harvesting the 12V port to replace a bad one in the back and I put both the 12V constant and switched into the switched from the 12V port's harness. So far so good. No issues with the recent satellite radio updates. The satellite even followed the last station over a lineup change.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts