XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

White smoke out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a thread!

Now here's my take....

Alot of these *******s have come in exhibiting the same thing as Phillip's car. What we found was the PCV valve, AND bank B cam cover, which houses the part load breather, were not operating properly causing oil to pool up inside the intake manifold. What I've done to the several I have fixed was replace PCV, replace bank b cam cover assy, remove intake manifold, pour that oil into my lawn mower, clean out the inside of that intake real nice and properly like, and reinstall. Fixes em up real nice.

NOW, that is not to say Phillip didn't have a bum engine.....I am just saying this is ANOTHER thing to look for IF any of you techs or Jag drivers ever comes across this heinous, climate changing issue.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I knew all them dealer tech *******s were theives...you should have to pay for lawnmower oil, just like the rest of us !!!

Thanks for the tip, I think the fouled spark plug was the nail in the coffin, but the fault you explained is alot more likely in most cases.

It was a pretty funny thread though , wasn't it. I was throwing books at my wall the whole time I was re-reading it tonight.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I had to change my eye prescription 3 times just to get through it all.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think reading it was bad, try living it...my wife and I were just talking about it last night. What a nightmare, but at least a happy ending ...

Jagtech, they didn't even plan on doing any analysis on it, they just lined it up in the core department to swap a few parts and send down as a rebuilt engine for someone else.

PoBoy, what you describe is exactly what the factory had them do the last time around, but it immediately smoked (seemingly worse than before) so that pretty much convinced them it had to be a ring issue.

Thanks again for everyone's patience and assistance. Now we are finally able to enjoy the car, although I have to admit, now I'm scared to death to rev it above 3000 rpm...and everytime I accelerate into traffic I still check my rearview for the cloud of smoke...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Awful small thanks for an awfully valuable amount of assistance, particulary when my advice was being challenged every step of the way.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 08-28-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

JTO, this is the way of the Internet, you give all you have and get insult in exchange.

This forum is priceless because of all the techs that give serious advice. I personally saved more than a thousand bucks because of advice on this board. We really appreciate your participation.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Greetings V,

First I'll have to thank you for digesting all of this thread, as your note proves that your points are well taken.

Second, I'll thank you very much for the kind words even though alot of the factual advice you have received didn't come from me. If I helped, we're both glad.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by pmcmillan3698
I have a 2004 XJ8.

Since it was relatively new (15K miles) the previous owner complained of white smoke coming out of the exhaust on heavy acceleration.

I bought it in October with 31K miles, not knowing that info. I found that out later when doing some research at the dealer on the car. I don't know what the dealer did at that time to "fix" it.

I too noticed the white smoke so I brought it in. The dealer looked at it, replaced the PCV valve, and told me that should fix it. They found oil on the outlet side of the valve and assumed it was leaking.

It smoked the very next day so I called them up and they said to give it a few days - it may take some time to clear the oil out of the exhaust.

After a month, it was still smoking, so I brought it in. They pulled the PCV valve and replaced it again because it again had oil on the outlet side. I questioned this, wondering why it would have failed after such a short time, and they said that sometimes they are bad out of the box.

That was two months ago, and it still smokes. Car is no longer under warranty, but I do have a great relationship with the service manager.

Here are the details: car smokes randomly at start, independent of engine or outside temperature. Car also smokes HEAVILY on heavy acceleration, usually when car has to downshift (like making a turn out of a parking lot or moving into fast lane to pass someone). When I say HEAVILY I mean it - so much smoke billows out of the exhaust that sometimes it brings traffic to a standstill because they can't see through it. Pretty embarassing for such a beautiful car!

Problem does not always occur - sometimes you can accelerate with no smoke at all (like when I am driving it with the technician at the dealer).

Dealer checked cylinder pressures, oil is clean and not cloudy at all, and car doesn't seem to be using any oil. It now has 38K miles (I've put 7K on it).

What on earth can cause white smoke if the head gasket is intact? Are we missing something simple? Car runs beautifully otherwise.

One more thing - the other day when I really pushed it hard trying to get it to smoke I noticed that the yellow check engine light starting flashing. I returned to regular driving and it went off after about 60 seconds. It was smoking when the light starting flashing. Not sure if this is related or not - can't say I've noticed that before.

Dealer can't/won't help at this point because they don't know what else to do, and since it is now out of warranty I can't really afford to pay them to start just replacing things at my expense.

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions you can offer. This is by far one of the favorite cars I've owned, but doesn't look real great when clients are following me to lunch and I smoke them out!
I had white smoke out my exhaust and it was a head gasket.