XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Why so few high-mileage XJs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Why so few high-mileage XJs?

I've been agonizing over cars for weeks, and finally decided that what I really want is some kind of 2004-2009 XJ. The older XJs are too small for me; the newer XJs are too expensive and don't look like Jaguars anyway.

So this really alarmed me: I did a search on cars.com for S-types and XJs within 250 miles with over 130,000 miles on them. There were 24 S-types and only 4 XJs. The same search for cars with under 100,000 miles turns up 118 S-types and 267 XJs.

So unless there's some sneaky bias I don't know about, an S-type is 14 times as likely as an XJ to top 130,000 miles.

Does something happen to most XJs at around 130,000 miles to do them in, and how can it be avoided? I'm thinking the transmission. That "never change your transmission fluid" thing can't be good.

ADDED: I did a similar search on autotrader, nationwide.
Code:
            < 100K miles  > 130K miles
S-type:         525               20
XJ:              610               17
So it looks like the results on cars.com are just bad luck?

Last edited by Xeno; 03-16-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: new info
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I would tend to believe it is a combination of a number of factors. Cost of gas being so high just for one. Cost of fuel does make a big dent in everybody’s pocket.

My car happens to be one of your low mileage cars and it will probably stay that way. I don't drive it in the winter and I am very selective about when I drive it because I want to remain in the condition it is at present. So as a result it stays in the garage in really bad weather and I use my winter beater.

As far as the so called "sealed for life transmission". I don't believe there are many people around that still accept that misnomer. Most understand that the transmission oil should be changed around the 50,000 mile limit. If they don't, the transmission will soon remind them. Gorgeous cars though.

Last edited by peddlarbob; 03-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default xj8 mileage

Like pbob I also have more than 1 car. My 06 xj8 just hit 44k. It is still in nice condition and I want to keep it that way. I have had mine for 4 years now (got it with 22k) and I still smile when I slide behind the wheel.
The 04/08 xj8 is an awesome car. you won't be disappointed!

The following users liked this post:
Billieg (10-11-2019)
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Xeno,

As mentioned above, probably a few factors involved:

I would guess one of them mainly being that most XJ owners probably have second or third cars. The XJ may not be their daily driver.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Smile High mileage Jags ??

To add to the above comments I will throw out the idea that there were far more S types sold in the U.S then XJ's simply because of the cost factor and overall affordability of let's say a 3.0 V6 S Type as opposed to a 4.0 or 4.2 XJ8 series. There's the $10,000+/- MSRP difference, the higher insurance costs of the XJ's, and the higher operating cost just from the higher fuel prices from regular to high test.

You should also figure that the XJ's, being a step or two higher up the luxury rung would, like many similarly positioned cars, not get driven down to the local 7/11 to get six pack as often as the neighbor in his Focus. I know that sounds snobbish but of all the collectible and special interest cars I've owned over the years none of them was my daily driver. In fact I suspect that my current 2004 XJ8 won't get driven much more then 500 miles a month. I put that much on my Triumph Speedmaster and it's a motorcycle !!~

Judging from the total number of hits you got I'm also sup[posing that you live in or near a larger metropolitan area where the larger XJ's and her sisters would be way less then ideal city transportation as opposed to the smaller S and X Types.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Smile High mileage Jags II

Your question got me thinking so I looked up Jaguar's US sales numbers for the 2004-2009 period and found another potential part of an answer for you.

From 2004-2009 the total number of units sold by Jaguar AND Land Rover came in at 375600 with an additional 10% +/- being added in Canada. Of that total over 235,00 are due to Land Rover units. Due to the flagging economy over the latter portion of those years Jag/Rover sales fell hard from 93,700 in 2003 to only 38,300 in 2009. That would certainly put a dent in the absolute number of high mileage Jags of all models sold in the US over those years.

The number of XJ types sold over that period of time totaled just 31,970 units, or about 8% of their total in the US. Also, the sales of the XJ types went into a tailspin just as severe as the rest of Jaguar/Land Rover with sales falling from 10,552 units in 2004 to just 1,161 units in 2009. Also, when comparing sales numbers between S type and XJ keep in mind that the advent of the cheaper X Type stole a lot of buyers from the S Type models as the years went by so there should be a growing number of high mileage X Types showing up as well,

Back in the day when I was a MOPAR dealer are annual target for just our then current (FWD) Daytona model was 32,000 units which as a fraction of Chrysler's then 2 million unit a year sales was hardly even a drop in the bucket.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

My XJ 350SE has done 187000 miles now and still running smoothly, interestingly enough, it is still on the same gearbox fluid as I was advised by the technician at my main dealer ( i have known him over 20 years now ) at about 110000 miles to only change it if I felt the gear changes were getting worse, have to say the changes are still as smooth as ever, they just did the reflash of the box some years ago and it has been great ever since.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

In my case, four autos and one driver. Plus I am retired. No daily commute!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

XJ's where pretty rare cars and where not driven as family hacks so there are a limited amount that are high mileage. Saying that Jags do cost a bit to maintain either S type or XJ but don't think they self combust at 100 thou miles. I have driven my XJR with 95000 miles on 1000 miles since September.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Why not just look for all XJs within 250 miles. I am sure you will find a car to suit you. These cars can run the Marathon, but it seems most US owners tend to not use them so much as they have other cars. After all, it was a very expensive car when new, so bought by rich people who usually keep a cheaper car for running around town in. Even I do this as my wife has a New Beetle which we mostly use for local shopping and also in winter as it has plastic bumpers and wings.

My 2003 is now on 67k miles.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I just stumbled into this forum fortunately as I continue to plan for my next car. I remember closely following in Car magazine the development of the XJ40 before 1988 US launch as the XJ6, and that vehicle (ultimately the 1986-1994 XJ6) was one of the few contemporary cars I really admired in the late 1980's when I was in high school.

Since that time, I have focused on other things, but as I start to look for a new vehicle, I think only Jaguar (either the S-Type or the XJ40). My God is the XJ40 timeless when I start to really look at it again! For me it's literally like seeing your high school crush again after 25 years, and she remains just as Goddess-like.

My thoughts are that the XJ40 undoubtedly has great potential to last and is extremely durable (at least the 4.0), but like many older used luxury cars, if the more owners it has, the more likely and the more severe the problems. The first owner will have money to properly maintain it (hopefully at the dealer) if he can afford it in the first place. But successive owners are more than likely unable to follow the owner's manual factory maintenance schedule, especially at the dealer, and that's where the car begins to suffer in a hopelessly downward spiral.

So after introducing myself and my situation, if any members have constructive pointers on the purchase of either an S-Type or an XJ40, I would appreciate your input. Having closely studied magazine and Internet articles on the vehicles, I have a general idea of what which models to avoid, and specific issues to look for during the purchasing process. Any actual experiences in a purchase of a 90's to 2000's Jaguar would be very helpful to me.

Thank you.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM

. . . and I want to add to my previous post an edit: I realize this thread is about the X350, but even experiences with any Jaguar four door from this era would help give me some additional purchase insight.

Buying tips would be helpful as well including finding the best vehicle with the best value for my expenditure. I have only purchased car through local dealers or from family members, so I am not especially familiar in safely buying from a seller or private retailer hundreds of miles away.

JimC64 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

The XJ40 was certainly not a trouble-free car ! In fact it was a bit of a disaster from when it came out to about 1990/91 when Ford finally started to teach Jaguar how to make cars properly. Ford also spent the US defence budget on production machinery too, as Jaguar had never had the funds. So starting in the early 90s the cars started to get a lot better. Rust can seriously afflict the 80s XJ40s too.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Fraser,
Do you ever drive your Midget? Back in the old days I drove my 67 Midget 1600 miles each way from college and home quite a few times. Top down and toneau cover on with only drivers side open in all types of weather. I also later on had a 74, I think I could still get in one but I know I'd never get back out.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
Fraser,
Do you ever drive your Midget? Back in the old days I drove my 67 Midget 1600 miles each way from college and home quite a few times. Top down and toneau cover on with only drivers side open in all types of weather. I also later on had a 74, I think I could still get in one but I know I'd never get back out.
Me and the missus were out in it this last week, in fact, when a dry day came along. This winter has been very mild but extremely wet so not many opportunities. Of course we are a lot older now, so top-down only when its warm or even hot (rare in the UK). The car is always kept ready for the road the whole year, just is case a nice day comes along unexpectedly.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

We are at the high mileage end with 160k. The car seems rock solid and still has power and a ride that rivals the 2014 Lexus that I test drove with my mom earlier today. This answers nothing about your question, but backs up Fraser that the aluminum XJ can go the distance.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:26 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

It must be relevant that, as the age and mileage increases, the sale value reduces, and the maintenance costs go up.

The person looking for a low-priced car will find it uneconomical to keep. Suppose, for example, the car needs, in one year, a set of tyres, new brake pads and disks, and suspension bushes (all normal wear-related replacements) and also has some other fault, perhaps gearbox, engine or steering.

You could spend multiple thousands on fixing it, but its resale value would not increase to match. You might find a newer, lower mileage car a better option.

Billieg (11-05-2019)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:26 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

My first generation 03 X350 4.2 has has 167,000 k,s on the clock just gave it a freshen up new High flow cats O2 sensors map sensors and maf sensor new plugs and gearbox service should be ready for another 167,000

MyXJR6 has 250,000 k,s on the clock going stronger than ever I did spend money on quite a few improvements and new components but is ready for another 250,000 k,s
My wife's 07 Jeep GC CRD has 295,000 k,s and is only just run in
and my little Audi A3 2.0TDI has 193,000 k,s on the clock also just about run in

I am never worried about k,s I have had low k cars and the engines where stuffed in them because they only drove them around the corner

All mine have all been long distance trips if I run around town I use the A3 if its raining which seems to be never these days mostly I use my scooter quickest form of transport as I live in town

Low mileage is for people that think that low mileage are important if you are a sporadic driver and don't do many k,s buy a high mileage car it will be cheaper and in the long term it will be a low mileage car

If you do high mileage get a low mileage one vice versa or if you are like me just keep them and buy another you can share the milage LOL

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM

Thank you for responses to my query. Apologies for a delayed acknowledgment, but I received no notifications via email that any responses were logged (I haven't used a message board in a decade.)

In my situation, I my market interest is driven by a strong attachment to the styling of the XJ40 and the S-Type. I have Jaguar World magazines on both of the models in question that provide a contemporary perspective and review of these vehicles, however I am interested in actual ownership experiences. Price is a consideration to an extent and I discount the $3,500 mechanic specials that have advertising descriptions mentioning idiot lights that remain lit although there does not seem to be an issue, a passenger door that is inoperable, an air suspension issue, and common trouble points that, as Fraser said, were gradually purged or at least mitigated beginning with input after Ford ownership and patronage (the mucho dinero that Fraser refers to as the defence budget . . . 'defense' as Noah Webster liked to teach us Yankee Doodles).

For me, I find it particularly difficult to separate the reality of Jaguar sedan/saloon car reliability / durability for the two decades beginning in 1990. These vehicles seem to have a wider spectrum of inconsistency in these areas as compared to American and other European manufacturers that I perceive to have a much closer uniformity. From the research I have done, I know what to completely avoid and the warning signs of issues. At this point, I am likely going to just place my bet when I find one that would seem to the right one.

While not the British Leyland days of the wild surprise car, which was invariably a surprise of an unpleasant nature from anywhere on the car, the Ford-owned years were a vast improvement. I don't expect anywhere near the solidity of a '14 Lexus on a vehicle that will be virtually impossible to source at less than 100K+ because of its vintage, but would like some confidence that I did not spend money on the automotive reliability equivalent of, say, Lindsay Lohan. Attractive, but entirely unpredictable and often out of control. If its possible to encapsulate my description, point blank: Are the Ford years' models reputation for reliabilities over-exaggered, or enhanced myth from the unenlightened casual enthusiasts confused by memories of the BL years, who think, "Oh yeah, Jaguar. Lucas electrics. Stay away."

Saturn V, if you ever come back here, haven't lost interest after page 456 of my "question", may I ask the model year of your XJ40? I didn't notice your current vehicle(s).

Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The XJ40 was certainly not a trouble-free car ! In fact it was a bit of a disaster from when it came out to about 1990/91 when Ford finally started to teach Jaguar how to make cars properly. Ford also spent the US defence budget on production machinery too, as Jaguar had never had the funds. So starting in the early 90s the cars started to get a lot better. Rust can seriously afflict the 80s XJ40s too.

Say it's not so.

Facts are Fraser that the series III Jaguar (designed and built long before Ford came along) was a far better car than the XJ40 would ever be. Another thing that everyone seems to miss is that the Ford line of vehicles greatly improved in both build quality and styling after they had purchased Jaguar. Many of the Ford models ended up using the Jaguar designed and built AJ27 engine as well as adopting the Jaguar suspension design. Both the Ford thunderbird and the Lincoln were build on Jaguar chassis. Agree with you somewhat on the subject of the purchase of production machinery though. The only exception to this statement was the AJ6 engine and transmission that the XJ40 had.

I owned both a Ford truck and a Car, both fell apart. After that rather expensive experience I vowed never ever to own another Ford. They have improved so much since 1990 that I would now consider purchasing another.

The X350L VDP Jaguar I have just owned had the best power, ride, build quality and economy among all the previous cars that I have owned.

Last edited by peddlarbob; 03-01-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Forgto to mention the engine.

Quick Reply: Why so few high-mileage XJs?