Will xtype rims fit an Xj , I have a reason why I need to do it

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Will xtype rims fit an Xj , I have a reason why I need to do it

So as the title states I am curious if my xtype rims will fit on my xj

The xtype rims are 17" from a 2006 base xtype

The xj is a 2008 xjl vdp

The reason why I went to do the swap is because I need new tires and will be getting the stock xj rims powder coated as they look like crap. Due to the multiple stops from dismount to remount and my busy schedule I will either need to leave the car on jack stands in the garage for over a month

Or

I could slap on my spare set of xtype rims and set her down. I have NO intention of driviNg it with the smaller rims. Just looking to set her back down

I ask without just trying because I am away on business fro a week with a short break home and looking to hit the ground running on this project.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

The bolt pattern and center bore are the same, but they may not clear your brakes. Check the diameter of your spare tire and if it is 17", you'll likely be ok.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I remember correctly, Hub/Center Bore for XJ is 74.1mm, while the X-Type has 63.4mm.

Even though bolt pattern is same and offset is similar, difference in bore size might be an issue.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by slownlo
So as the title states I am curious if my xtype rims will fit on my xj

The xtype rims are 17" from a 2006 base xtype

The xj is a 2008 xjl vdp

The reason why I went to do the swap is because I need new tires and will be getting the stock xj rims powder coated as they look like crap. Due to the multiple stops from dismount to remount and my busy schedule I will either need to leave the car on jack stands in the garage for over a month

Or

I could slap on my spare set of xtype rims and set her down. I have NO intention of driviNg it with the smaller rims. Just looking to set her back down

I ask without just trying because I am away on business fro a week with a short break home and looking to hit the ground running on this project.
Why not just try them on since you have them? If they fit on the center bore and the bolt pattern, you need to ensure they clear the brakes. They won't slide on if they can't clear the brakes so that's easy to verify. The wheels themselves are designed to be center bore dependent so they should slide on and not gap in the bore. Then you need to make sure they don't interfere with the fender inside or outside.
Lastly, make sure they are the same lug type. Conical won't work on a flat wheel and visa versa.

Jaguar hasn't made a 17" wheel for the XJ/ VDP since 04. It could very well be an aesthetic decision on their part.

Your worry is the offset and center bore with the x-Type being so much smaller.

Interesting. please let us know.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Trust me when I say the bolt pattern and center bore are the same. Of the 19 sets of wheels I had in my X-type, four of them where OEM X350 Jaguar. The older (up to 2003) 5x120 cars had a larger center bore and bolt pattern, but X350 is 5x108 CB 63.4mm.

I don't know what brakes you have on your car. The 326mm *should* fit, but the 350mm probably won't.

The following users liked this post:
-Greg- (04-07-2017)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, hoping this is the most relevant thread to add to rather than create a new one. I have a 2006 XJR with 19" Sabre wheels (code: 8.5Jx19CHX49.0) and would like use winter tires on 18" rims. I have been corresponding with a nice fellow here on the forums who has a clean set of 18" Aruba wheels (code: 7.5x18CH ET52.5) from a 2007 X-type for sale. The seller has been great about providing detailed pictures and measurements, however I am not an expert on lug spacing, offset, etc. and would like to understand as much as possible about potential fitment issues before I bite the bullet and buy/ship these. Thoughts?